Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Selecting Keyboard set (Performance) via external midi contr

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tajna92

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Selecting Keyboard set (Performance) via external midi contr Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm trying to work out if it's possible to send program change to Pa4x keyboard set (performance on older models) from external midi pads. I want to program my favorite 16 performances (one on each pad) in order to be able to recall them any time during live show by pushing the pad instead of searching trough the screen tabs.
I have controller capable of sending program change messages but can't work out how to find the numbers for keyboard sets entries...

Thanks
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Selecting Keyboard set (Performance) via external midi c Reply with quote

tajna92 wrote:
.. to send program change to Pa4x keyboard set (performance on older models) from external midi pads. ... I have controller capable of sending program change messages but can't work out how to find the numbers for keyboard sets entries...

For remote selection number of keyboard sets you will find in manuals with CC#00, CC#32 and PrgChange.

With Pa4x Keyboard set Library will be found in manual page 1006 ff - user KbdSets of Pa4x use CC#00=17, CC#32=00-10 and PrgChange 00-47; DirectUser KbdSets use CC#00=18, CC#32=00-10 and PrgChange 00-47.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
pa4x_user

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I have understood you correctly, whilst I don’t think you can select a keyboard set with midi, there is a workaround that would achieve what you want.

Setup various Songbook entries with suitable titles (eg. _Keyboard01, _Keyboard02, etc) and each of thos entries has the keyboard set you want.

Then program the external pads to send Song Select midi, as per p921 of the User Manual).
Songbook+ app for iPad
Cubase12 Pro DAW software
Dorico Elements 4.2 scoring software
Band-in-a-Box 2022
Yamaha CVP-309GP
pa4x_user

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was wrong about not being able select a keyboard set with midi.

Thanks Siebenherter
Songbook+ app for iPad
Cubase12 Pro DAW software
Dorico Elements 4.2 scoring software
Band-in-a-Box 2022
Yamaha CVP-309GP
tajna92

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I have found it in the manual but now I have second problem. I use AKAI Mpd218 and I set MSB, LSB and PC on certain pad and I choose midi channel 16 as midi control channel on pa4x. Now, when I hit the pad with control data, pa4x is not responding, but when I hit any pad with note data, pa4x plays the corresponding note on given midi channel.

I'm suspecting there is a simple option that i need to enable on pa4x in order to receive and process the incoming data but I can't work it out on my own... I have midi in channel 16 set as Control channel.

Hopefully somebody with more knowledge will help me resolve this.

Thanks!
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: remote change of kbdset Reply with quote

Hello,
there is no additional option on Pa4x to receive incoming data - but maybe you filtered control messages in Midi-Input.

Else it certainly not will be the Pa4x that does not receive the commands, but the MPD218 that does not send the commands properly.

This easily can be controlled by sending the command chain cc # 00, cc # 32 and PrgChange to the Pa4x via another Midi controller or via Pc software (Midi-OX), or by checking via MIDI-OX to see which commands the MPD218 is sending on ch16.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
tajna92

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I managed to make it work. Not sure what I did wrong initially but it works now, and I'm very happy.
I now can have 3 banks of 16 favorite keyboard sets just a touch away. It's just awesome!

Thanks guys for sharing your knowledge!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: