Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kronos USB-B & Audio Output
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RJC1980

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Korg Kronos USB-B & Audio Output Reply with quote

I just purchased and received the Korg Kronos 88 Key Keyboard. I am running MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.4 on an IMac

I have this hooked up to both USB B as well as Audio Out to my Apollo x8p. I can use this as a controller so there is a connection but I can't get any of the Kronos audio to work via USB-B or Audio out. I can't get any of the drivers installed because they seem to be OS 10.14?

This is all new to me so any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks,
~Ray
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos uses the standard "built in" audio drivers, both in Mac and Windows environments. The driver installation is only necessary for MIDI over USB.
RJC1980

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your response. Would you have any idea why I am not getting any sound via USB or Audio Out (Stereo to Apollo x8p)? I can get it to connect as a controller playing sounds from software on my computer but I cant get any sounds from the actual Kronos to the computer.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the MIDI driver is working OK. To be able to use audio over USB, it will be necessary to find the relevant audio device in whatever software is being used, probably in the software settings or options. There may be additional things to do e.g. creating an audio track with the Kronos or Apollo x8p as the source, and possibly enabling record for that track.

RJC1980

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the solution to get this to play in the DAW using the Audio Out Cables, I just needed to create a track and select line input vs mic input so that is good for recording.

If I just wanted to play/practice, I would think I could just plug & play via USB-B but I am not getting any sound. I am selecting the audio device in system preferences that I want to play through but unfortunately no audio. I do see the meter going up and down in settings. Do I really need to create a track in my DAW in order to practice or is there some software I am missing? I have reached out to Korg but they just said to email them and still havent gotten a response. I am very new to this so I am sure I am just missing something. If you have any idea I would really appreciate it!
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If by practice you mean play and then listen to what you just did to see how it sounds, simply plug headphones in the Kronos front jack and record yourself using the Kronos sequencer mode. You can then listen to what you just recorded without external devices - and use your DAW later when you feel ready to record.
RJC1980

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi KK - Yeah, I have been using the headphones for now. Its just the previous piano I replaced it with I was able to play thru my other smaller set of monitors that I have directly into my computer rather than going thru my Apollo. Headphones are great too but like going through my speakers if I can.
rei0429

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, it's impossible by standard function on Mac as I know.
You need to use some application to loop back the input through output.

LadioCast in App store (free. but some noise appear.)
Loopback (paid. I don't have tired yet)

I'm using LadioCast, and launch DAW in serious situation.
RJC1980

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your response, I will definitely check that software out. The Kronos serves as an audio interface and it has the USB Connection to a computer. I would think you should have the simple options of listening through headphones or through your computer....especially if your playing with someone. Or even getting lessons which I need. I was hoping not to have to turn on my interface and load a track just to play. This thing is awesome, but being so new this is a big learning curve for me.

I have an Arturia Keyboard and a Helix Floor Pedal for guitar. They both have software on my computer to play or edit the sounds. Of course the Arturia is mainly a controller. But the Helix has software that mirrors onto my computer (make an edit on my pedal it shows on my computer, edit on my computer it changes on my pedal). If Korg even had something like that, that would be great!
RJC1980

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another issue I am having is recording thru Midi on the iMac in my DAW (LUNA). I can record as a stereo wave file but can you not record the Kronos as MIDI? This would be really helpful so I can easily edit.

Also on my iMac the Kronos is grayed out in midi studio. Perhaps that could be the issue but I can’t seem to get this to work. Thanks in advance for any help!
RJC1980

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reached out to Korg regarding an issue I am having with playback. They indicated that I can do what I need it to do but not clearly explaining how or perhaps misunderstanding my issue. One thing is I am working in Universal Audio's LUNA for my DAW so perhaps they can't advise much on that. These are the playback issues I am having:

1. Korg Kronos to Computer via USB Just for simple plug in and playback with my secondary monitors directly plugged into my computer:
Korg indicated that all I need to do is plug it in and indicated that I just need to update the Global Settings for USB 1 & 2 to be set to L/R. I am running the Korg Kronos Editor and am not getting any playback via USB.

2. Korg Kronos to DAW (Luna) via USB for recording MIDI, editing & playback: I can get this to record in my DAW as MIDI but because it is MIDI there is no sound. How do I get this routed back to my Kronos in LUNA so I can hear & edit the Kronos recording? I feel like I am trying everything. I have the plugin editor and I am still getting nothing for sound. Line out creating wav files works great but if I am playing piano I want to be able to change notes, timing, etc. I feel like this would be standard workflow but I just cant get it to work.

Per Kronos's Email:

If you are actually recording the Kronos audio directly into the DAW using the Kronos USB audio feature, this audio will be able to play from the DAW to the external speakers since it audio.

If using a MIDI track, the data will only instruct the Kronos what to play and therefore, you will need to connect the Kronos directly into the speakers.

If anyone has any experience with this and can direct at all, I would really appreciate the help.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi RJC1980,

I think you may be misunderstanding how USB Audio and the routing of audio works in a computer more generally. I’m not sure how your previous setup worked, but it is *not* normal to be able to plug a keyboard or audio source into a computer via USB and have the audio come out via monitors connected to the computer.

Whilst the Kronos may be sending audio to the computer, it has no control whatsoever over what the computer does with it once it receives that audio. Typically you will need some software to take the audio from the Kronos and send it to another audio device. A DAW will do this if you set a track to record, for example. But this isn’t a feature of the Kronos or any other audio device.

You may be better off taking the audio or digital outputs of the Kronos and running them directly to not the audio interface to which your monitors are connected, and then using the mixer in your audio interface to route the incoming audio to the monitors. Or just plug the monitor speakers directly into the Kronos.

Alternatively, you can always use your Kronos as an audio interface too.

This is the reason many people still use some type of mixer - either standalone or built into their audio interface - in a recording setup.

Hope that helps!
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
RJC1980

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SeedyLee,

Thank you very much for your response! I completely understand what you are saying but definitely need help understanding the Kronos. My previous keyboard was an Arturia which is a controller and in order to play sound I had to open up the software on my computer. However, I didn't know if the Korg could do that as well with the software such as Kronos Editor. I asked Korg this and this was their response:

The Kronos has USB audio so if you have connected the Kronos to your computer using a USB cable, the audio will transmit to your computer. The computer will then recognize the Kronos as a USB MIDI Device and a USB Audio Device. Please follow the steps in the video at the link below to set up the Kronos USB audio. The video is not in English but simply change the Kronos settings as shown in the video. You will then need to contact Universal Audio for assistance with setting up Luna to receive the Kronos audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN1AODTDxyU

With that said, I did what they indicated and it didn't work. Am I misunderstanding what they are saying or is what they said not correct?

Second question, not sure if you could help me with. I am using LUNA as my DAW and I also have Pro Tools. I know how to record as Line Out in Stereo directly into my Apollo. However, that is wav format and I really want to record my Korg as MIDI so I can edit the notes, sometimes add/subtract notes, quantize, correct timing, etc. I can get the Korg to record as MIDI but as MIDI is just information with no sound how do I get it to play the Korg sounds? Again, I thought that is what the Plugin Editor would do but its not working. I have tried re-routing the MIDI Track in LUNA but that didnt work or I just don't know what I am doing (could definitely be the case).

I am using Big Sur now on my computer, not sure if there is a compatibility issue there?

How do you typically record the Kronos and edit your recordings in your DAW? Wav or MIDI in your DAW? Or do you edit on your Kronos, get it perfect then push to your DAW? Perhaps I am looking at the Kronos workflow all wrong but hopefully not because my previous setup was fast for me. Of course, I would much rather utilize my Kronos so I will do what I have to do to get this to work.

Thanks again for your response!
Hot Air

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you eventually find a solution?

I read this thread because, whilst not new to the Kronos, I finally decided to change my workflow and production and use a DAW (in my case Cubase on a Win10 PC). Until now I have managed to do pretty well using just the Kronos for pretty much everything.

I’m at the early learning stage with Cubase and have hooked up my Kronos via USB (correct drivers and installation procedure followed). I too am not able to hear the audio through the headphone output of my Steinberg interface (I can for all the virtual synths etc), and I’m successfully using a Yamaha MX49 as a MIDI controller.. For the same reason as you, I want to be able to record a midi track on my DAW, using the Kronos as my synth, rather than any software plugins. Obviously I want to hear what I am playing from the Korg while I practice and record. I’ll try one of the above suggestions and crate an audio track with record enabled to monitor it. That might work. Then I’ll use a separate midi track for the midi. Sounds a bit complicated though. Surely there must be a more convenient way?
fomalhaut

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Air wrote:
Did you eventually find a solution?
I too am not able to hear the audio through the headphone output of my Steinberg interface

The Kronos will happily send audio output via USB to your computer. Now you want your computer to route that audio to your interface. That's a task you need to perform on Cubase.

I don't have any Cubase experience, sorry, but I would suggest you to try to set an audio track with input "KRONOS USB AUDIO" (or something like that) and output that to your computer headphones (not the audio interface) as a first step.

Also make sure the KRONOS USB AUDIO device is present on your Cubase settings as an available audio device.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: