Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Nautilus SSD Location

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbeliz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Korg Nautilus SSD Location Reply with quote

So i decided to check under the hood of my new Nautilus and for the life of it could not locate the SSD drive, i know not many have tried opening it up but if anyone has any idea let me know, I am starting to think its a fixed ss ddrive chip somewhere?
lmatonement

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Nautilus SSD Location Reply with quote

jbeliz wrote:
So i decided to check under the hood of my new Nautilus and for the life of it could not locate the SSD drive, i know not many have tried opening it up but if anyone has any idea let me know, I am starting to think its a fixed ss ddrive chip somewhere?

I haven't taken mine apart, but this guy has taken his Kronos apart and find the hard drive here: https://youtu.be/8Zbi1g2kync?t=460

Do you mind sending pictures of the inside of the Nautilus?
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the SSD is attached to the underside of the motherboard. The connection is a mini-SATA so this would be a physically smaller drive than what is found on the Kronos. Some have said the SSD soldered to the connection but I could not verify this as I did not disassemble enough to find out.

The Nautilus uses a variation of this motherboard.
https://www.asrockind.com/en-gb/IMB-140D%20Plus

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
jbeliz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have changed ssd drives on the Kronos and it’s so much easier because the drive is in view as soon as you take the cover off I have pictures of the inside of my Nautilus and it’s different.[/img]
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe one of the design objectives of the Nautilus is to make it more reliable and less prone to failure when moved about. The Kronos has issues with RAM and connectors needing to be reseated, especially when moved/gigged. This was a problem for me and I rarely moved my Kronos.

You are best off to assume you cannot upgrade the SSD nor add a second SSD to the Nautilus. If you want that capability, stick with the Kronos. But if the connections are fewer and those that do exist are more solid (possibly soldered) then it stands to reason the Nautilus should have fewer issues than the Kronos, which would be a very good thing. Time will time if this is the case.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
lmatonement

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbeliz wrote:
I have changed ssd drives on the Kronos and it’s so much easier because the drive is in view as soon as you take the cover off I have pictures of the inside of my Nautilus and it’s different.[/img]

I'm very interested, but I don't see your image. Do you mind posting it again?

burningbusch wrote:
You are best off to assume you cannot upgrade the SSD nor add a second SSD to the Nautilus.

I haven't looked yet at this point, but if the board is anything like the one you listed, it should be trivial to add two more hard drives with the regular SATA plugs on the "front" of the motherboard. (I understand that the existing hard drive will be occupying the mini-sata port on the "back" of the motherboard.) I would think the problems would lie in getting the Nautilus's operating system to *mount* the extra drives, then *use* them. If it's not coded to do so, I imagine it will simply ignore any extra drives.

All this talk is making my screw-driver hand itchy for some action...
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmatonement wrote:

I haven't looked yet at this point, but if the board is anything like the one you listed, it should be trivial to add two more hard drives with the regular SATA plugs on the "front" of the motherboard. (I understand that the existing hard drive will be occupying the mini-sata port on the "back" of the motherboard.) I would think the problems would lie in getting the Nautilus's operating system to *mount* the extra drives, then *use* them. If it's not coded to do so, I imagine it will simply ignore any extra drives.

All this talk is making my screw-driver hand itchy for some action...

Yes, the two SATA connectors are obvious, but there is no clear place to tap power and mounting is an issue. I suspect the OS would see the drive. The Nautilus is a variant of the board I posted and many connections visible in the photos in the link are mere solder points on the Nautilus.

Busch.
polux

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want more space you can too remove not used library, i removed EXs304: Prepared Piano and i win a big space ssd and more ram.

Arrow https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mWqASHdBo4c
lmatonement

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

polux wrote:
If you want more space you can too remove not used library, i removed EXs304: Prepared Piano and i win a big space ssd and more ram.

Arrow https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mWqASHdBo4c

Excellent advice, thank you! Where can I find instructions for this? Is this an adjustment of preload.kfc (or whatever the file is called)?
polux

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, 1) go to the parameters guide page 644 and apply the short chapter " Unloading an entire bank of data " (global mode)

2) go to page 723 parameters guide (media mode) and save your new ksc, enter the name of the file " To "your name file" .KSC, after select " Links to EXs & Users Sample Bank " and press ok, your new ksc is created.

3) after return in global mode ans select KSC Auto-Load, select " Preload.Ksc " ans choose Remove KSC, after selec Add KSC ans choose your Ksc created, the small case " Auto-load " must be checked.

You win big space ssd, many space ram and many seconds boot time.
jbeliz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I want to know is to upgrade to a bigger ssd if possible not really interested in the expansion memory because that goes to ram no the ssd but anyways I made a short video and images hopefully I can post soon.
lmatonement

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbeliz wrote:
not really interested in the expansion memory because that goes to ram

Right, more ram would be useless on a 32-bit OS like the Nautilus uses.

jbeliz wrote:
The only reason I want to know is to upgrade to a bigger ssd if possible...but anyways I made a short video and images hopefully I can post soon.

I'm looking forward to the pictures! My guess is that if you have any experience with a soldering iron, it shouldn't be too difficult to switch out the hard drive assuming the SSD is connected in the "normal" way, and soldered to the motherboard. If the SSD is soldered to the CONNECTOR (mini-sata), replacement may be more difficult. The pictures should help clear things up!
jbeliz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://share.bublup.com/ui/landing_page?item_id=001-i-14da004e-e7c5-4e99-8101-b148f11d3876
https://share.bublup.com/ui/landing_page?item_id=001-i-5f2bf85b-c8f3-4967-a8b8-2736b0221146
Here are a few pics i took of the inside of the Nautilus,
lmatonement

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbeliz wrote:
https://share.bublup.com/ui/landing_page?item_id=001-i-14da004e-e7c5-4e99-8101-b148f11d3876
https://share.bublup.com/ui/landing_page?item_id=001-i-5f2bf85b-c8f3-4967-a8b8-2736b0221146
Here are a few pics i took of the inside of the Nautilus,

Excellent pictures, thank you! Looking at the list of keyboards you have, I have to wonder: what is your interest in upgrading your Nautilus!? It looks like you have a Kronos that you were already able to upgrade, so why do you care about the Nautilus?

I was going to say something about the power supply not seeming to have any lines going to the back of the motherboard to power the minisata SSD back there, but on second thought, minisata is powered through the minisata connector, so there wouldn't be a power supply line going to it.

Do let us know if you get any pictures of the back side of the motherboard!
jbeliz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks yes I typically like to upgrade any hardware on my keyboards if possible
I did the same with my Kronos and have dual ssd's in it as well i just wanted to do the same with my Nautilus, I figured it would be very similar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: