Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who is writing these Korg Manuals??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LosAngeles

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Who is writing these Korg Manuals?? Reply with quote

Guys, it’s time to say something about the poor quality of writing in these manuals. Who is responsible for writing them??? And more importantly, who (if anyone) is responsible for proof reading them? I’m sorry but at the professional level, this is inexcusable. For instance, look at the description for the random order button on page 21 of the Wavestate manual. What is all this bullshit about shuffling cards? Just write that there is a permutation applied to the order of playback of steps. Or just say that the order of playback of steps in the lane is shuffled! Moreover, what does “For playback purposes, the Start, End, loop start, and loop end all work on the newly assigned numbers” even mean? How about an example? Another example: page 23 describing the Gate step type.. “Gate: the sequence will pause at the step until note-off, after which the sequence continues.” Well, at least they got it half right! On my unit, the note will indeed hold for as long as the key is down (for a gate-based timing step), but it sure as hell doesn’t continue the sequence after I release it. Am I the only one frustrated wasting my time reading this garbage?
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all fairness, as far as reading manuals go, KORG's are easily the most user friendly. Suites me perfect as they are very clear, logical and very direct to the point.

That specific passage of text makes perfect sense, it's even formatted in a way that is visually tied directly to the hardware sitting in front of you with physical buttons for each step.

I respect your opinion, but I totally disagree with it.

Sharp.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Who is writing these Korg Manuals?? Reply with quote

LosAngeles wrote:
Guys, it’s time to say something about the poor quality of writing in these manuals. Who is responsible for writing them???

I am. Thanks for asking!

LosAngeles wrote:
And more importantly, who (if anyone) is responsible for proof reading them?

My team is.

LosAngeles wrote:
I’m sorry but at the professional level, this is inexcusable. For instance, look at the description for the random order button on page 21 of the Wavestate manual. What is all this bullshit about shuffling cards? Just write that there is a permutation applied to the order of playback of steps. Or just say that the order of playback of steps in the lane is shuffled!

Your suggestions wouldn't be complete explanations, however.

LosAngeles wrote:
Moreover, what does “For playback purposes, the Start, End, loop start, and loop end all work on the newly assigned numbers” even mean? How about an example?

That's where the metaphor of the cards has value.

Here's the whole paragraph:

"To understand how Random Order works, imagine that each Step is on a note-card. Each time the loop plays, or whenever the Start Step or End Step changes, the note-cards from the Start Step through the End Step are shuffled and assigned to new numbers (A1, A2, etc.). If there are any Steps before the Start they are not included in the shuffle; instead, they stay in place and retain their original values, even if they will play due to loop settings. Steps after the End Step are ignored. For playback purposes, the Start, End, Loop Start, and Loop End all work on the newly assigned numbers. Unlike changing the Start Step or End Step, changing the Loop Start Step or Loop End Step does not cause re-shuffling."

The system is slightly complicated, in order to enable some interesting behaviors. For example, by modulating the Start Step and End Step, you can control the pool of steps which are subject to randomization. My Performance "Orchestral Flurries" uses this technique.

It's complex to explain, in part, because both the steps and the Start/End/Loop Start/Loop End points are identified by their order in the Lane. Random order disrupts the association between step names and order; step A13 may play on the second step, for instance ("A2"), while step C5 plays on the third ("A3"). However, the Start/End/Loop Start/Loop End points are unaffected by randomization; if Loop End is set to B7, it remains there regardless of which step has been randomly assigned to that position.

In the end, the card metaphor seemed the most succinct. I'm sorry that you didn't like it.

LosAngeles wrote:
Another example: page 23 describing the Gate step type.. “Gate: the sequence will pause at the step until note-off, after which the sequence continues.” Well, at least they got it half right! On my unit, the note will indeed hold for as long as the key is down (for a gate-based timing step), but it sure as hell doesn’t continue the sequence after I release it.

I'm not sure what sound you're looking at, or what other factors might be in play, but the manual's description is in fact correct. Gate causes the sequence to pause at the step until note-off, after which it continues.

Do you have other concerns about the documentation, or are these two issues the only ones?
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
hephiroth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stopping by to say that I find Korg manuals very (surprisingly, even) easy to read. The fact that they are not completely dry and unnecessarily technical (while also being thorough) really works for me, so I just wanted to say thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: