Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sequenced Midi Tracks Lagging on playback?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blazerunner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject: Sequenced Midi Tracks Lagging on playback? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm back with a head scratcher of a problem. I working on a new song in my sequencer. I have 5 midi tracks that play the same piece. I'm layering the sounds. Each plays a different instrument but it's just a copy of the same exact melody as I copy and pasted them all from the originating track (track 1) so I have 5 tracks playing the exact same melody.

When I play back the song at certain parts some instruments seem to lag or drop off momentarily and then come back into the song. I noticed that it happens in certain parts of the song I guess the busier sections of the melody perhaps. I have 4 of these tracks going to the same EFX. I'm using Reverb and all the tracks are set to the same Reverb EFX channel.

If it matters I'm layering strings and pianos to make a nice full sounding orchestral melody.

The Kronos almost acts like its processor is overloading or something. It's like a hiccup and then it clears itself. I've done similar things with other tracks on different songs and never had this problem before.

I might try to go back and re-record the track and copy and past it again to see if that changes anything at all (I'm kind of desperate to finish my song).

That's about as best as I can describe the issue. Hoping somebody might now what's going on or how to fix it so the Kronos is running smooth again.

I might add that I also am using a "Bass sound" and it seems that when I throw the bass on that it causes these problems more frequently. It's just a stock bass. I turn the effects off and still run into the same problem as mentioned above.

Sometimes when I free play the Piano as the sequence is playing it starts hiccuping and instruments start dropping out as well.

Don't know what's going on but I feel like I could cry when it happens.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take a look at the resonances of each note in each of the midi tracks.
It is crucial andi often that cut straight your polyphony

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I add that you can also shift (décaler) very very slightly the departures of each note in each of the channels

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. How would I go about checking or doing those things? Smile
blazerunner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm well after some investigating using the performance meter tab it seems my Piano's are stealing a lot of notes.

I thought this keyboard could do everything.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an exemple:
If you have a chord of seven notes in your piano part : and if each note starts at 4.0000 you can make (it's an exemple) the lower note of your chord starting at 4.0000 the upper at 4.0001 and the others at 4.0002 etc etc.
Make that very very slightly at the evidence. and it can (sometimes) resolves your polyphony problem.
You can do that in the edit notes window.

☀️♫🐦

voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the mighty Kronos has polyphony limits, especially with five other MIDI tracks simultaneously making demands on the sound engines, particularly if the tracks are very dynamic, with new notes being played whilst "old" notes are still sounding their release tails. Making an audio recording of the MIDI backing tracks might be the way to go. Playing WAV files is much less resource intensive, and will free up the sound engines to play the piano.

blazerunner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

I've been making songs on the Kronos for 3-4? years now. Never have I ran into this problem until the song I'm working on now. I relied so much on using audio tracks and just a few midi tracks. I somehow unknowingly avoided this note stealing problem until this point. I have some really good dumb luck. For the song I"m working on now I wanted to use the midi capabilities more and decide to build my song using more of the Kronos's sounds and the midi tracks.

Boy did I get spanked hard by the Kronos. That's what I get I guess. Maybe the ol' keyboard is telling me it's time to buy protools and start recording like everyone else.

I was experimenting earlier today with the performance tab trying to figure out what was doing it. Indeed the Kronos pianos are very demanding. I usually use my Nord on an audio track for Piano sounds. First time I relied on the Kronos pianos. Just playing some arrangements really eats up a good chunk of note playing power I noticed. I also have a motion synth added in the background and that eats up a lot too. If I take out the motion synth the problem is solved. If I take out one of the Piano's it's also solved.

I think the best solution is probably to convert one of the midi files to a wav file. That way I won't have to sacrifice the song. Now how to figure out how to do that next... Smile guess that will be the weekend mission.

Thanks again for the help!
bryanturner1003

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazerunner, I feel your pain. Even when you get Pro tools installed, and only after running the Avid Gauntlet, which was a nightmare........Then you face the midi porting and the capabilities of old school midi. Im facing this issue presently with the Motu Midi patchbay - with Kronos Karma M50 and N1R.
Im copying the Whole COMBI (stock) into the Sequencer on Kronos then Changinging the output to (both) instead of just (INT) in the sequencer(this only took 20 years to figure out on Karma), I change the Global Midi Sync to Auto Midi and make sure the Karma Midi-IN is set to off (no loopback). Patch Midi track 1 in ProTools KRONOS ports 1 in and out.

Should Work but now I get the drums playing at 1/4 Speed, and sometimes a recording with data in the midi tracks and sometimes not.

Here is an example of Luke making it work with Pro Audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SbVxe-YZiQ

One last Question is where do I get patch Maps for Kronos, Karma, M50 and N1R

Thanks In advance

Bryan
Korg Karma - Piped Midi port 2
Korg M50 - Piped Midi Port 3
Yamaha QY70 - Piped Midi port 4
Yamaha AW16G Piped Midi Port 5 - for burning Master & live Burns
Korg N1R - Piped Midi port 6
Roland JV30 - Piped Midi port 7 - Slave and Vintage Sound
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: