Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using an expression pedal to increase volume

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter1960

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: Using an expression pedal to increase volume Reply with quote

I would be grateful if someone could help me set up an expression pedal to enable me to increase volume on the Kronos. Apologies if this has been covered before.

I am in a band with two guitarists who constantly complain that I play too loud !! I generally use organ / string / pad sounds, in program and combi mode. So, I have to reduce the volume using the main volume knob for most of our set, although there are occasions where they will want me to turn up, for solos or other passages. I have to do this manually, and then reduce the volume back to the previous level.

What I need to be able to do is play at a “reasonable” volume for most of the time but to then increase the volume occasionally, which I believe I could do by using an expression pedal. However, I do not want the volume level to be at “nil” when the pedal is fully up, increasing it by depressing the pedal. I want the volume to be at an acceptable level with the pedal fully up, and then use the pedal to increase the volume to “solo” level.

So, most of the time, the volume will be at, say, 50%, with the pedal fully up, with the volume then increased to 60-70% for solos.

Can I do this with an expression pedal ? I have looked at various YouTube videos featuring non Kronos instruments and in principle, it appears to be able to do what I require. However, I thought I would check with this forum !

Two further questions :

1. How do I set it up ? I assume I plug it into the assignable pedal input and change the setting for this pedal in Global to “volume” (CC07). Is this correct ?

I did plug my damper pedal into the assignable pedal input to see if this work – this resulted in the volume being reduced to nil, and it would not increase even if I pressed the pedal. Is this because I used the wrong type of pedal ?

However, if I buy an expression pedal and plug that in instead, will the volume also fall to Nil ? As mentioned above, I don’t want this to happen – I want a reasonable volume to be maintained without having to depress the pedal, and I will only use it when I need a boost in volume for solos etc.

2. I have noted on this forum that various pedals have been recommended, all of which seem to work with the Kronos – the Korg EXP2, Korg XVP20, Yamaha FC07 and Roland EV5. Please advise which of these you have used and are happy with.

Many thanks for your help

Peter
CliveJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

I used to have the same issue.

The way I got round it was to have a separate Prog/combi specifically for particular solos. I’d then tweak the volume as needed during rehearsals or gigs and save the result. It saved me lot of grief if and gave me the confidence that the volume would be in the right ball park.

I was running two Alesis Fusions at the time and I ended up writing a Windows program to handle my patch changes controlled from a MIDI pedal as, at the time, there was nothing reasonably priced to do what I needed.

Using an expression pedal would help you but you’re really just moving the volume knob down to the pedal and that may give you other problems. What if you accidentally move the pedal while playing?

If I remember correctly Kronos Set List allows you to set a volume per slot. You can then use a foot switch to step through the patches. You might find this unviable if your set list changes from gig to gig as re-ordering can be a pain.

Hope this helps…
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Korg XVP-20, connected via its Expression port into the Assignable Pedal input, and assigned in the Kronos Global menu to Expression or Volume, will allow control of the volume from 100% down to zero, in a graded fashion.

The XVP-20 also has two analogue inputs and outputs that allow the pedal to be used as a stereo volume control, taking the Kronos' Line Outs as the input and the pedal outputs going to mixer or front of house, with the added benefit of being able to set a minimum volume when the pedal is pushed fully heel down, using the Minimum Volume control on the rear panel of the pedal.

There is a third option with this pedal, using a simple homebrew adapter lead, that would allow the minimum volume to be set when using the XVP-20 as an Expression pedal, so you wouldn't get nil volume when the pedal is fully up.

The XVP-20 is very solidly built, and reliable in action.

A Damper pedal is the wrong type of pedal to connect to the Assignable Pedal input on the Kronos, although it won't cause any harm.

StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Using an expression pedal to increase volume Reply with quote

Peter1960 wrote:
I am in a band with two guitarists who constantly complain that I play too loud !!

A guitarist complaining the keyboardist is too loud? Now that's something you don't hear every day. Wink

voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who'd believe it, eh? :-)))

CliveJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Using an expression pedal to increase volume Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:

A guitarist complaining the keyboardist is too loud? Now that's something you don't hear every day. Wink

Stephen - Keyboard players can go to 12 these days Very Happy
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an Ernie Ball volume pedal made for active electronics, works great and there’s no need to make any adjustments in global settings.
davc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many Volume/Expression pedals have an extra 'minimum' volume knob ...

that would limit the lower volume level ..

then your master keyboard volume knob could be you maximum level control .

giving you the lower and higher volumes you want ...

a stereo volume pedal using your keyboards 1/4 inch outputs would work without any internal programming ...

using an Expression pedal(s) into your Assignable jacks would need to be Assigned and setup in your programs/combis ... those instructions are in the manual ...
Peter1960

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. I've bought a Korg EXP-2, which seems to do what I want from it.
toeti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a Boss FV-500-L.

It's a little bit more expansive, but it's a very good piece of Hardware and very solid.
Johnf_tx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Peter,

I'm sure there's a reason that you don't want to do this, but I don't understand the reason you don't just buy the Korg pedal, push it up all the way, turn the volume to max you would ever use, then back it down at the pedal until you're ready and then open it.

I don't use my pedal because I accidentally hit it occasionally and everything goes to zero and I'm lost.

I'm sure there's some reason this doesn't work for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: