Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What does my friend miss if I recommend a Nautilus?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: What does my friend miss if I recommend a Nautilus? Reply with quote

Apologies as I know there are threads on this, but the forum's search capabilities are, well, less than inspirational.

A friend of mine is a classically trained pianist but hasn't played for many years. She loves the feel of my 88 and the sound of the German piano (Steinway if I recall correctly). And of course she's impressed by all the other sound capabilities.

With the Kronos having been discontinued, I took a look at the Nautilus to see just how much she'd be missing versus buying a used Kronos. The latter gets you the real thing, but buying used gear is always rolling the dice whereas a new instrument is warrantied.

So far I've seen it described as a Kronos without Karma, aftertouch and with fewer control surfaces. Does this sound like an accurate summary, or is there more to it than this?

She's not going to be interested in sound design and will be more likely to just pick a preset and play, so I don't think the control surfaces will be an issue. In a similar fashion, she wouldn't be creating new sounds with Karma if she had a Kronos. About the only thing that might matter is the lack of aftertouch, and even then I'm not sure how big of a factor that would be.

I'm still poking around watching Nautilus videos, etc. but would love to hear your thoughts on this. Her point of reference is my Kronos, so I'm just wondering, given what she's likely to use it for, whether the Nautilus would feel like a downgrade or not. It doesn't matter what features are missing if you wouldn't have used them in the first place. That said, I don't know what else might be missing.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Given the info you mention and that she is not so much interested with the thousands of Kronos parameters, I'm pretty sure your friend would enjoy a Nautilus 88 just as well as it is the same Korg RH3 action.

Just in case though, I would also recommend she tries other candidates, such as the Kawai digitals which are praised by many for having a realistic piano action closer to an acoustic grand. Having said that, the action is not everything and she might dislike the Kawai piano sounds, etc.

Just like when you are shopping for an acoustic grand, the most important is neither the number of features, the brand name, the action characteristics and so on. It is about enjoying the instrument while you play it, because it gives one the sound and playing response one is looking after. So after taking her time and testing around, a Nautilus might end up being the right choice for your friend.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, man. Appreciate the insights.

I completely agree about enjoying the instrument you're playing, which is a separate thing from doing sound design. And she really likes how the Kronos feels. My understanding is the hammer action 88 of the Nautilus is on par with the Kronos.

That said, it's not just the desire to play piano again but all of the other cool sounds that the Kronos / Nautilus gives you that she's interested in. Once exposed to that, I don't think she'd ever be satisfied with a piano-only instrument.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
blazerunner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading your description it truly doesn't seem that something like the Nautilus would be right for her. It's still a feature rich deep dive that would leave a majority of the keyboard mostly unused. It would be overkill as the reasons why she wouldn't use it are the reason why most of us buy it in the first place.

You may want to introduce her into checking out something like the Vox Continental or a Nord Electro.

She'll love them for the sounds and the simplicity.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisDuncan wrote:
That said, it's not just the desire to play piano again but all of the other cool sounds that the Kronos / Nautilus gives you that she's interested in. Once exposed to that, I don't think she'd ever be satisfied with a piano-only instrument.

Hi there,

Sounds like the Nautilus might be right for her even more given this info. I remember when I bought my Kronos in 2016, for a few days I was just having fun scrolling and playing the thousands of programs/combis. Keep us posted about what will be her final choice and Happy Easter. Beer
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no need to deep dive into any instrument, such as the Kronos or Nautilus, in order to enjoy it. Both will "work" for someone who needs no more than to be able to select and play the various excellent Timbres available on the instrument, and expandable from other sources. OK, so the control surfaces might, at first, seem to be largely redundant. However, they are there, should the user decide to experiment with the exploration of the wider sound permutations that they make available. At the very least, the ability to vary the amount of reverb with a single (mostly consistent across timbres) knob, adds a significant extra dimension, giving the ability to change, for example, the sound of the Delicato Strings Combi, from an intimate "strings in the kitchen" sound to that of a sizeable concert hall. Use of the sliders, to control organ overtones, is another. None of this requires deep diving into menus and parameters, but still allows the user significant control over the resultant audio output. To this end, from a user perpective, the Kronos remains the better equipped instrument of the two.

ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazerunner wrote:
Reading your description it truly doesn't seem that something like the Nautilus would be right for her. It's still a feature rich deep dive that would leave a majority of the keyboard mostly unused. It would be overkill as the reasons why she wouldn't use it are the reason why most of us buy it in the first place.

You may want to introduce her into checking out something like the Vox Continental or a Nord Electro.

Appreciate the suggestions.

Both of those look like cool instruments, but one of the things she likes is the large collection of sounds that the Kronos has, which I don't believe they can offer.

KK wrote:

Hi there,

Sounds like the Nautilus might be right for her even more given this info. I remember when I bought my Kronos in 2016, for a few days I was just having fun scrolling and playing the thousands of programs/combis.

Me, too. Still! And a Happy Easter to you as well.

voip wrote:
There is no need to deep dive into any instrument, such as the Kronos or Nautilus, in order to enjoy it. Both will "work" for someone who needs no more than to be able to select and play the various excellent Timbres available on the instrument, and expandable from other sources. .

My perspective when buying the Kronos, given my limited chops, was to get something that I wasn't going to outgrow anytime soon. I think she's coming from a similar place.

Without a doubt, having the control surfaces on the Kronos is great, and there might come a day when she misses the lack of aftertouch. However, I think it'll be a long time before she reaches that point.

Really appreciate everyone's thoughts on this. From what I can see, the Nautilus is actually a darned nice offering and for $2800 an extremely good bang for the buck. You get full-on Kronos sounds and features for the trade off of control surfaces, Karma and aftertouch. As long as you don't depend on any of those three, it seems like what remains is really a repackaged Kronos (with a few UI tweaks).

If I was just now making my purchase and the Kronos was available I'd still choose the Kronos because I like having all the options in case I might need them someday.

That said, I just wanted to hear from those who know more about this stuff than I do to make sure there wasn't some gotcha or glaring deficiency in the Nautilus that would make it undesirable.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
blazerunner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
There is no need to deep dive into any instrument, such as the Kronos or Nautilus, in order to enjoy it.

I would highly disagree on that. These instruments are expensive and they're expensive because you're paying for their features. It becomes a waste of money if you pay for features you don't plan to use. When you can put that towards a keyboard that you will benefit from and enjoy more. I always advise people to go for what will cater to their playing style and music goals first over features they may never use.

Dabbling with sounds is one thing but if you're shelling it out for a sampler/sequencer and 9 engines you more than likely will never use past the first one or venture past the stock sounds it becomes a waste. There are much better keyboards out there that are less complex and more focused on the piano playing and performance aspect rather than the steep learning curve the Kronos or the Nautilus require to fully get into using them and there's just no way around not living inside the manuals on these keyboards.

There are keyboards that offer a better playing experience designed around the idea of focusing on Piano sounds frontward with additional sounds secondary which your friend might enjoy.

Just speaking as a pianist myself...If your friend is a pianist looking for piano sounds and a few other sounds to play with Nord,kurzweil and Yamaha are the top brands to venture too for pianist. You might want to take her to a music store and let her try some of them out first if you can.

Korg has a small collection of Piano's in their library which are okay but they aren't as vast as other brands and if you look at the price to add more piano's it's insane. $199 for a new factory Italian Grand Korg when Nord lets you pick and choose from a huge library of piano's for free is a no brainier. The satisfaction of that is that you can switch and swap out paino's as you like and not get bored with them or feel like you're stuck in a corner.

Those are just my reasons. But a Kronos or a nautilus is a bad choice unless you're getting an extremely amazing deal.
Johnf_tx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Chris,

Given that you live in Atlanta, there should be stores that offer warranties on Kronos's that are gently used. But more interestingly, she could probably go and play both of them. I know that Sam Ash will write you a warranty. some credit cards have generous warranties (I think Apple is one.)

I think there are still some new Kronos units floating around out there at dealers.

I've never played a Nautilis and don't have an opinion. This is the sort of thing that we could chase our tails about.

The other thing I might say is that I know lots of classical players seem to like Yamaha.

So I guess I would just take her someplace where she could try both without influencing her decision. She's a musician, so would probably be making the decision subjectively based on her feelings, if I know musicians.

As far as after touch goes, I actually use it, believe it or not. I programmed some sounds that have strings and horns and the aftertouch determines which will be held longest. I may be one of the only ones in the world that actually uses it but I remembered it from my old M1.

regards,

John
wocongming

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisDuncan wrote:
blazerunner wrote:

Appreciate the suggestions.

Both of those look like cool instruments, but one of the things she likes is the large collection of sounds that the Kronos has, which I don't believe they can offer.

KK wrote:

Hi there,

Sounds like the Nautilus might be right for her even more given this info. I remember when I bought my Kronos in 2016, for a few days I was just having fun scrolling and playing the thousands of programs/combis.

Me, too. Still! And a Happy Easter to you as well.

voip wrote:
There is no need to deep dive into any instrument, such as the Kronos or Nautilus, in order to enjoy it. Both will "work" for someone who needs no more than to be able to select and play the various excellent Timbres available on the instrument, and expandable from other sources. .

My perspective when buying the Kronos, given my limited chops, was to get something that I wasn't going to outgrow anytime soon. I think she's coming from a similar place.

Without a doubt, having the control surfaces on the Kronos is great, and there might come a day when she misses the lack of aftertouch. However, I think it'll be a long time before she reaches that point.

Really appreciate everyone's thoughts on this. From what I can see, the Nautilus is actually a darned nice offering and for $2800 an extremely good bang for the buck. You get full-on Kronos sounds and features for the trade off of control surfaces, Karma and aftertouch. As long as you don't depend on any of those three, it seems like what remains is really a repackaged Kronos (with a few UI tweaks).

If I was just now making my purchase and the Kronos was available I'd still choose the Kronos because I like having all the options in case I might need them someday.

That said, I just wanted to hear from those who know more about this stuff than I do to make sure there wasn't some gotcha or glaring deficiency in the Nautilus that would make it undesirable.

Not that I know the difference between Nautilus and the Kronos,
ive read through EVERY post here and not ONE person actually answered your question as to what really is the difference between these 2 keyboards. smh
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What does my friend miss if I recommend a Nautilus? Reply with quote

wocongming wrote:
ive read through EVERY post here and not ONE person actually answered your question as to what really is the difference between these 2 keyboards. smh

Actually, he answered his own question:

ChrisDuncan wrote:
So far I've seen it described as a Kronos without Karma, aftertouch and with fewer control surfaces.

Pretty spot on. Too bad the DATA slider was also removed. There are some new/alternate waveforms for the Nautilus ROM. More program banks, and an arpeggiator system similar to the old Triton, but more advanced. Screen is slightly smaller on the Nautilus, but the pages have been revamped to look less busy, showing 8 parts, instead of 16 parts, at once.

For the price difference, I find the Nautilus to be very attractive. It is has the guts of a Kronos. Now that Korg has allowed us to share sound library licenses across three Kronos and/or Nautilus units, I would be tempted to get one for that reason alone.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karma, aftertouch, better and more hardware controlls, better keybed..

I think its karma that makes the Kronos a classic allready, since korg is leaving Karma behind..
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What does my friend miss if I recommend a Nautilus? Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
Actually, he answered his own question:

I was just starting off with what I'd heard thus far.

My standard assumption is that whatever I know, you guys always know more, which is why I was asking.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: