Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Maintenance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Kronos Maintenance Reply with quote

Hi gang, could someone add any constructive comments on this for me please?

Back in 2014 I bought an original Korg Kronos 61, pretty quickly I updated memory and added a second SSD, back when SSDs were comparitively small.

It's 2022, I still love my KK, but it gets hot and I wonder if I added some new modern fans (recomendations please) and remove the second SSD, would it be viable to then remove the original old SSD's 30GB and swap it with a brand new larger capacity drive after mirroring the master drive, restore licenses etc?
Korg Kronos 61, M3-73, Karma (all-time classic), X5, Wavestate, Roland Juno Gi, JV, D110, Arturia Microfreak, Modal Skulpt, IK Uno. Nanopad2, M-Audio Venom, Deepmind 12D, Crave, TB3, Maschine Mk3, Moog Werkstat and a few other bits
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let others recommend you about fans, but regarding SSDs one easy way is to clone the original on a new larger one. You can then copy your secondary SSD contents on it. That's what I did for my Kronos 2 a few years ago, it now runs on a 250 GB Samsung 860 EVO. Zero problems as good quality, it is very reliable.
drdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
I'll let others recommend you about fans, but regarding SSDs one easy way is to clone the original on a new larger one. You can then copy your secondary SSD contents on it. That's what I did for my Kronos 2 a few years ago, it now runs on a 250 GB Samsung 860 EVO. Zero problems as good quality, it is very reliable.

Great stuff, just needed a wee bit of reassurance I was on the right track
Korg Kronos 61, M3-73, Karma (all-time classic), X5, Wavestate, Roland Juno Gi, JV, D110, Arturia Microfreak, Modal Skulpt, IK Uno. Nanopad2, M-Audio Venom, Deepmind 12D, Crave, TB3, Maschine Mk3, Moog Werkstat and a few other bits
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice: don’t swap the fan.

I made the mistake of thinking it should be an easy replacement - it is not. The software on the Kronos has been tuned for the OEM fan, including things like the PWM frequency and duty cycle. Replacing it with another fan can cause all sorts of weird harmonics they are more annoying than the original fan Josie, and may cause it to run hotter.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swapped the fan and had no issues since. The fan was a Noiseblocker XR2.
cjfox

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original Kronos 61 was upgraded when I bought it, 64Gb SSD and Noctua fan. After about 18 months it died, and after a long diagnostic period, I determined it was the motherboard, and replaced it with a used one from fleabay. It worked right away, but overheated because the BIOS fan settings were different than the original MB. I set the BIOS to 100% fan and it worked well. Just to be sure, because I saw that the Kronos 2 had vents, I drilled holes in the bottom plate and added fans right over the CPU and on the other side to exhaust hot air. I don't know how to add pictures, but it works great. Doesn't go over 49C with fan set to "slow". The Noctua fans are very quiet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: