Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA5x - An unfair review
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:14 am    Post subject: PA5x - An unfair review Reply with quote

Hi guys

Hopefully this is not considered a complete waste of forum space!!!
I actually played the PA5x-76 yesterday but only managed to get an "unplanned" 45 minutes this is why my topic title says "UNFAIR".
I really want to play it again with my "checking-it-out" plan.

However, I thought I'd at least let you know my reactions bearing in mind that this was a "press-a-button-and-stand-back" exercise.
REMEMBER (please) this is my first brief impression and shouldn't be regarded as a list of reasons to buy or not buy. I'm way off getting to that stage in my personal opinions.

The GOOD:-
I absolutely love the audio quality - it is beyond ANY keyboard I've ever owned or played.
The touchscreen is fantastic - clear and perfectly responsive.
The new display strip is also terrific - resolves (answers) a lot of my initial concerns about "missing" options and buttons.

The NOT SURE YET:-
It is always a matter of "getting used to" something new and I have no issue with these things but here's my view
Would need to get used to:-
Slightly different keybed feel
All the coloured buttons (I'm sure I'll love these but at first a bit "busy" for my ageing brain)
The shorter slider distance (very minimal though)
Not blown away with the acoustic drums - they are fine but still seem to have that general "arranger" quality (I am a drummer and am VERY fussy about drum sounds!!) - still need to try these out more - only a very limited session.

The new styles I played:-
AMAZING
Lots of PA4x styles there also sounding really improved - maybe just due to the overall audio quality which makes everything sound better.

The few SOUNDS I played:-
Again, audio quality - so so amazing
In particular, I fell in love with "Trumpet Delay" (might have been a keyboard set - but outstanding)

I did experience one fault playing the dual styles but not going into that - would need to better understand the feature first and try that again.

Despite my very limited time on this PA5x, I am pretty sure I'll eventually end up buying one

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
usaraiya

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for that review!
Glad that you at least have a KB to play; in the US, still not available!
It sounds (pardon the pun) like the audio quality is superlative, and that in itself is a positive factor.
I look forward to getting more of your input when you become more intimate with the new KB!

Smile
Uday
Nemydom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: PA5x - An unfair review Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:

Not blown away with the acoustic drums - they are fine but still seem to have that general "arranger" quality (I am a drummer and am VERY fussy about drum sounds!!) - still need to try these out more - only a very limited session.

Hi Pete, thanks for your "first impression" review. It's very valuable!
I do understand that you are "Not blown away with the acoustic drums" and that "they still seem to have that general "arranger" quality", but did you notice any improvement in terms of their audio quality over pa4x?
Thanks Smile
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete

- Drum kits with RR in the end of their names are the new round robin Drumkits , so next time try those to see the difference
all the rest are the same as in Pa4X but sound better because of the overall better quality of new sound engine primarily based
on new programming code.
- The reproduction of samples in real stereo format provides a true stereo image of whole resources that is better than Kronos 2
and any Korg keyboard up to now !

- Except new trumpet whistles of Pa5X demonstrators , there are many new DNC2 sounds that make the difference and justify
the new flagship arranger.
- New pianos converted from Kronos are poor and noisy with no comparison with original Kronos quality pianos but this will be
resolved for pianists by WavesArt with the release of seamless Pa5X Japanese premium 9-feet Grand Piano of 2GB.
- Factory styles are working fine and even official Pa4X bonus styles will be converted and will work fine since they retain the
fixed/non transpose protocol of INTRO1/END1.

- So by definition this unfinished buggy OS will work fine with factory & bonus resources for non advanced end-users despite
all issues we have found in deep editing where this OS is not ready to convert & edit deeper until Advanced Edit manual &
newer OS will be released.
- Around Christmas that IMO Pa5X should had been released , Pa5X will be ready to work with all custom resources , advanced
editors and all announced features and will be the one way upgrade for all arranger users that need a flagship arranger to gig with.

- KORG Pa5X is not a continuation of the Pa4X as already noticed by owners , probably was named PaX for commercial reasons ,
it's an entirely new arranger with new file formats that retain the majority of PaSeries features but not necessarily all of them and
will provide in the future many other first seen features in Pa arrangers AFAIK from new software & hardware abilities.

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Pete

I am not surprised to hear this considering my first impressions of PA5X demo, where i could also hear the Improved Dynamics with individual sounds, and to include the overall Hi-Fidelity of the keyboard and this was again confirmed in my Studio...

This was one of my initial hooks you could say before I committed, but despite being hesitant considering Korg's history and even also being aware of a few bugs at my first sitting with this unit, what then swayed me considering i was being told after the first Bach of PA5X running into next year it was then highly likely there would be continued delays with avaliblity (including price hikes from its original release...think Moog> https://www.gearnews.com/moog-synthesizer-prices-are-through-the-roof-only-the-beginning/ ) and this is something i understand clearly in my working life where supply issues of electronic components has/is going to be a continued problem for some time to come...

So I did make the dubious choice to commit, but only then after spending time at home with PA5X do much of the now discussed problems start to become apparent, which for many (i also would agree) has indicated a some what premature release for this keyboard...

If I try to draw a positive form the present situation we find are self in with PA5X, them i am hopeful at some point in the future (before 2023) that things will improve as i do believe there is Great Potential within this keyboard even though many are struggling with it at this moment in time, all of which i feel could of been avoided...

I am hopeful depending on korg's Continued Development Program with any applications of this, that we will see better times on this forum, which incidentally has historically always be a very valuable place to learn or tackle issues that may not always be apparent in manuals...

So as i continue to hold my breath running into 2023 where we hope Korg should be Very Very Busy Rectifying/Improving this New Flag Ship Professional Arranger...

I will now continue to commit to PA5X where i will hang on to this keyboard for the time being, But if many of the issues continue and do not improve by the first quarter of 2023 you may find the reporting of my actions wholly different thing on this forum.

But...... let's hope none of that happens and we eventually find ourselves enthusiastic and thoroughly enjoying are self's using PA5X and all into the not too distant future Smile

Last edited by D575 on Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
iOpus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for me, every day is new. Since yesterday, I can't turn it off by holding for 3 seconds. I can only turn it off by long holding power (force shutdown option), Or from cable directly. Auto shut down also doesn't work.
I also did a factory reset but it didn't help.
By the way, what Pete writes in this post, I have previously written and praised here somewhere. Although I also wrote about the frustratingly bad things. But... As I have set out, I will not go out of service on this device - known as the flagship.
Korg M3
Korg PA3X 61
Korg PA4x 61
Korg PA5x 61 Musician, computer scientist and electronic engineer
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iOpus wrote:
I can't turn it off by holding for 3 seconds. I can only turn it off by long holding power (force shutdown option), Or from cable directly.

All of you are trying to treat Pa5X as Pa4X ! Guys this is a new OS with different functions and rules !
- The rule you have missed there is that OS prevents from normal 3s shut down if you have entered in essential sub menus that you can
loose edited and unsaved parameters , exit until main styles page and do it smoothly , the same is valid for auto shut down !

- If forcing shut down or interrupt main power in inappropriate pages or saving state , then get prepared to visit official service due to
re-load corrupted system files & factory resources , that I doubt that they have access at present moment !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
iOpus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
iOpus wrote:
I can't turn it off by holding for 3 seconds. I can only turn it off by long holding power (force shutdown option), Or from cable directly.

All of you are trying to treat Pa5X as Pa4X ! Guys this is a new OS with different functions and rules !
- The rule you have missed there is that OS prevents from normal 3s shut down if you have entered in essential sub menus that you can
loose edited and unsaved parameters , exit until main styles page and do it smoothly , the same is valid for auto shut down !

- If forcing shut down or interrupt main power in inappropriate pages or saving state , then get prepared to visit official service due to
re-load corrupted system files & factory resources , that I doubt that they have access at present moment !

I did a factory reset (successful) but it didn't help. Now the question arises, what is the factory reset. You mean it's damaged too? I wonder why OS 1.0 is hidden from users.
Korg M3
Korg PA3X 61
Korg PA4x 61
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iOpus wrote:

I did a factory reset (successful) but it didn't help.

What this I've described to do when you want to shut down normally your Pa5X , has to do with factory resources restore ?
nothing at all ... just read it again.

Pa5X factory restore is just recalling factory settings , parameters and lists of internal resources at a state that Pa5X was
released from factory , it does not load OS , system files and nothing from 15GB of factory PCM ... only settings !

Therefore in case you will totally interrupt main power at inappropriate saving state you can cause as in any computing device
with CPU & eRam , like your computer , corruption or system files and factory resources , and in this case , Pa5X factory
restore resources Res file is over 10GB and totally sure that is not available yet at official service centers , so don't push your
luck treating Pa5X this way and find yourself waiting for months until Pa5X Res file will be available at local Korg representatives ...
I know many Pa4X customers that had destroyed internal resources with power interruptions like this and the over 1 GB BKP issue in Pa4X ...

Hope this helps

karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, but please remember, this is purely my knee-jerk reaction to an unplanned 45 mins on this new keyboard.
It is definitely not a "fair" review under the circumstances.
I know for sure that if I bought one today that I'd have to be prepared to face problems.
I plan to get a bit deeper next time (if my retailer can hold onto this one for a week or two).
At first I wondered if the superb audio was due to new DACs but now understand that they haven't changed. So I wonder if Korg have been very smart with FX and EQ. I did think that the DSP was different (like Tyros/Genos). Anyhow, whatever Korg have done, it sounds brilliant!! I would love to perform a direct PA4x/PA5x comparison of dry factory samples (purely out of curiosity).
I now have to analyse the known new and changed features (irrespective of bugs) and figure out if I need or would use them and if they are worth the money (at very very best I will be out of pocket AUD$4,000 after selling my PA4x) - I am looking for AUD$4,000's worth of reasons to go to the PA5x.
So, in summary, I seriously need to spend more time playing this keyboard before making any rash decisions.
Keep all that info coming (& thank you).

Pete Very Happy

@Antony
Thanks for your valuable replies regarding the PA5x - yes, your feedback definitely helps. I will investigate the acoustic drum sounds further - the drums I've listened to already would not stop me from buying it. I have always preferred Yamaha's drum sounds - I own a TOTL digital Yamaha drum kit which I believe has more authentic acoustic sounds that its competitors (even Roland) - but I know this is always subjective and personal.

@D575
Completely understand where you are coming from and your current feelings.

Last edited by karmathanever on Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far most advance users report noticeable quality improvement over older models. That's a great start.

Did you guys notice hissing noise on acoustic piano sounds?

karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:

I didn't notice it BUT I will specifically check that out next time...

P Very Happy
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:

At first I wondered if the superb audio was due to new DACs but now understand that they haven't changed. So I wonder if Korg have been very smart with FX and EQ. I did think that the DSP was different (like Tyros/Genos). Anyhow, whatever Korg have done, it sounds brilliant!! I would love to perform a direct PA4x/PA5x comparison of dry factory samples (purely out of curiosity).

That's interesting Pete, being a little geeky myself I did wonder what has taken place under the hood to achieve what we are hearing with the improved General Audio Fidelity when considering Audio Signal Paths, DAC's etc, of PA5X...

I always find Paul Drongowski Blog " Sand, Software And Sound" very interesting where he breaks down and explains this type of subject (Mainly Yamaha and having a Montage his Blog is of great interest) I recall asking Paul to dissect Montage (PAC) on one of the Yamaha forums (Quote Yamaha: MONTAGE features professional balanced outputs with “Pure Analog Circuit” (PAC). PAC improves the quality of signal after being converted to analog from digital for clear harmonic reproduction and even frequency response. The result is an output capable of reproducing MONTAGE’s internal content expressively with power and clarity)...

Would be interesting to see Paul's deep analysis comparing PA4X and PA5X, but not sure the information required to do that is readily available from Korg? (idear: perhaps I will drop him a line) the only other person I could think of that might be able to cover this as a Side Subject from the general discussion around PA5X at the moment would be AntonySharmman ? Smile
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:

At first I wondered if the superb audio was due to new DACs but now understand that they haven't changed

Your guess is correct Pete , DAC hardware is still the same as in Pa4X , as also effects are mostly the same with new graphics ,
but all are about software code in UI that make the great difference in stereo image and higher quality that take the advantage
of existing 24b DAC.

Even if you bypass all effects , still the same samples are sounding even better than Kronos 2 crispy and clear and also in
complex styles (mostly custom) with all 8 tracks playing with midi events simultaneously now you can hear all details and can
clearly distinguish each playing instrument for first time in PaSeries.
But the Ace here is the precious tool Finalizer per style that will make the difference in Styles ...

DKs were never the strong point of PaSeries , but they have a unique advantage , in high power level of sound close to real
drums audience , they sound crispy and realistic compared to all other Arranger's brands ! RR are ideal for live performance !

Sam CA wrote:

Sam , as you well know from past , I'm not forgiving piano sounds in any hardware keyboard.
As Musiccankill had initially remarked , low velocity layers retain the high gain microphone hiss and the fact that after 20 seconds
(max sample size in Pa5X) all pianos notes are looped due to emulate natural duration , if sustaining those notes that hiss is multiplied !

But its not only that , Austrian & German pianos for instance that is claimed to be borrowed from Kronos 2 , are the generic initial
samples without any essential processing and they retain many artifacts in body sound that for my demands are unacceptable ...

So pianos upgrade in Pa5X is not obvious IMHO although extra used GBs , but WavesArt will provide a great piano solution !

iOpus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
iOpus wrote:

I did a factory reset (successful) but it didn't help.

What this I've described to do when you want to shut down normally your Pa5X , has to do with factory resources restore ?
nothing at all ... just read it again.

Pa5X factory restore is just recalling factory settings , parameters and lists of internal resources at a state that Pa5X was
released from factory , it does not load OS , system files and nothing from 15GB of factory PCM ... only settings !

Therefore in case you will totally interrupt main power at inappropriate saving state you can cause as in any computing device
with CPU & eRam , like your computer , corruption or system files and factory resources , and in this case , Pa5X factory
restore resources Res file is over 10GB and totally sure that is not available yet at official service centers , so don't push your
luck treating Pa5X this way and find yourself waiting for months until Pa5X Res file will be available at local Korg representatives ...
I know many Pa4X customers that had destroyed internal resources with power interruptions like this and the over 1 GB BKP issue in Pa4X ...

Hope this helps

Well done for me, after so many Korg Pa keyboards "I broke my keyboard".
Let me mention that I have not done anything abnormal, just normal everyday work with the keyboard. I haven't forced it off. I turned on the keyboard and after that it didn't want to turn off. Let me add that I am an IT administrator in an IT company. Thanks, but your comment didn't help me. I think we are all in one mind here, that this keyboard is an unfinished and rushed product. I will ask again what other keyboard when it comes out there is nothing to download for it. Previously, there was a CD-ROM inside the box. Your comment in addition to explaining some new protection from Korg (which holds a place) but the other part sounds to me like a defense of Korg, I could be wrong, but...
One thing is clear, we ate the stick from Korg.

I have never had a problem with a previous keyboard, I have fixed errors on thousands of colleagues and even replaced potentiometers, microswitches, touch screens, etc. I can't come to terms with the fact that with normal use of the 5x this situation occurred, to add that the screen has vertical lines since I bought it, so I'm waiting for it to be replaced. A new keyboard to go to a screwdriver.
Korg M3
Korg PA3X 61
Korg PA4x 61

Last edited by iOpus on Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:12 pm; edited 4 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: