Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA5x - An unfair review
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iOpus
I will write again briefly for last time !
- Never unplug main power when Pa5X is not at main styles page.
- You must be in main Style page for shutting off your Pa5X in 3 seconds mode , press exit until no screen change and try to
shut it down at 3s , if this is not working then you have malfunction issue and you have to visit your vendor , end of story !

We all already know that Pa5X has an unfinished OS , so what do you expect to download ? an unfinished OS without even
Advanced Edit manual available ?
All be patient for normal OS release , all the rest are commonly known.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:

Sam CA wrote:
Did you guys notice hissing noise on acoustic piano sounds?

Sam , as you well know from past , I'm not forgiving piano sounds in any hardware keyboard.
As Musiccankill had initially remarked , low velocity layers retain the high gain microphone hiss and the fact that after 20 seconds
(max sample size in Pa5X) all pianos notes are looped due to emulate natural duration , if sustaining those notes that hiss is multiplied !

But its not only that , Austrian & German pianos for instance that is claimed to be borrowed from Kronos 2 , are the generic initial
samples without any essential processing and they retain many artifacts in body sound that for my demands are unacceptable ...

So pianos upgrade in Pa5X is not obvious IMHO although extra used GBs , but WavesArt will provide a great piano solution !

So you also confirm factory piano sounds are noisy then.

AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have examined details of one Pa5X factory piano , Italian Grand and I uploaded the audio recorded from L-R outputs ,
that piano experts can hear and compare with Kronos samples.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MvrA7AUgxJgCyKkwSw3Dmj54_bwYX0Xz/view?usp=sharing

At the beginning of wav file , you can hear environment white noise of microphones after pedal FX pressed , the same white noise
exists in main sustain samples that are following without sustain pedal , and at the last sustained notes pedal + main notes + resonance
layer that all contain the same white noise and is multiplied by 3 X sustained notes.
Spectrum analyzer showed me not exactly hiss noise but enhanced spectrum of 50-500 Ηz of white noise ...

Briefly it can't be noticeable if playing piano in average low power of Amp but only if you raise volume while playing some sustained mid & high notes.

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V

Last edited by AntonySharmman on Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
davekalbach

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
iOpus
- You must be in main Style page for shutting off your Pa5X in 3 seconds mode , press exit until no screen change and try to
shut it down at 3s , if this is not working then you have malfunction issue and you have to visit your vendor , end of story !

We all already know that Pa5X has an unfinished OS , so what do you expect to download ? an unfinished OS without even

I think I missed this thread....

Antony - Are you confirming there is a BUG if you were to Shut Down while not on the main screen?

Reading this mentions unplugging while not on a main screen...

I don't believe I would do this unless I was forced to, such as a locked screen and normal shutdown (3 second) not working.

Also mentions shutting down while not on a main screen...

I don't know if I have or haven't done this. Typically I have screen hold off, unless I'm working through some experimentation or new process. But I could see someone doing this during normal operation.

Has this caused a failure for someone, or was the key word "Unplugging"?

Kronos 2, Pa5X, Drumlogue, Stageman 80, Korg D32XD Recorder
Many Guitars, Roland TD-6 V-Drums, a Trumpet (HELP)
And a Kimball Baby Grand Piano
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davekalbach
I have no bug reference for this , I just mentioned precautions like the bellow obvious for fun Very Happy :
"If you intent to damage your Pa3/4/5X system files , just unplug your arranger from main power while it is loading
any data or saving system parameters" , It won't even boot again after a few tries ... Idea

You must all understand that internal on board eRam works as an SSD where all custom resources and system files
parameters are written , so if you will abruptly unplug your arranger from main power while data are written on it , then
SSD sectors will be corrupted and you have to format and reinstall all contents (commonly known in your PC/Mac) and
this is also valid for on board Ram and if data are corrupted then you have to install GBs Full Res file with format.

After Pa3X , any internal HD/SSD/mSD card , are slow and only for storage purposes , they do not participate in OS
or system files not even user samples are written there , all are written in on board Ram.

So be careful and always use UPS for loading OS & resources !

Hope this helps

iOpus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
iOpus

HI. I must to report the new situation.
I deleted all the problematic styles from the Pa4x and the shutdown fixed itself, now the auto shutdown works. Antony was right about the protection built into the new operating system I still find it strange how things didn't get fixed with a system restore. Another strange thing in this case. When the problem occurred with the normal shutdown (3 seconds) of the keyboard, the screen with vertical lines that I had until then since buying my Pa5x, has since fixed itself and the screen image cleared.

How to recognize the corrupt style from the previous Korg Pa4x installed after importing in your Korg Pa5x..
On that rhythm, it does not work synchrono start. You must immediately delete this style. If you try to fix it in style edit at the end when you record it changes (Save style), the process will start but not finish completely and after some time you will be forced to stop this process.
I will repeat again that this case of mine is a bit strange from my point of view, but. that is. Be careful with old sets or wait for the announced remote update and then import your old stuff.
Korg M3
Korg PA3X 61
Korg PA4x 61
Korg PA5x 61 Musician, computer scientist and electronic engineer
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm shouting since Pa3X age , that if you want to check if your Pa works properly
Do a factory restore and do not load anything ...
Then when you're sure , load your old resources to see what crashes system and delete it for ever !

After Pa4X , OS is not forgiving errors of older models custom resources and in case of Pa5X I have highly recommended not to import
any older non factory resources until new OS release.
For instance styles sync is working fine and instantly when you just press tempo lock and Pa5X do not freeze at all , it just restarts
unexpectedly sometimes in any function 'cause of current OS instability !

Hope this helps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: