Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is anyone having problems importing/exporting Pa4x styles
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:25 am    Post subject: Is anyone having problems importing/exporting Pa4x styles Reply with quote

Hi , I needed to export a Pa4x converted user style for some minor editing in my daw. I wanted to import it back into same style so that I wouldn’t lose settings. It crashed.
In daw I then removed track 1.
In master track I removed everything except for
Time signature , tempo, markers,

All the chords and keys etc to do with intro/ending 1 gone,

I then imported it back in, no crash worked fine.

Don’t know if it was just this particular style.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note
Wavesart CFX 9ft Grand Piano 🥰
Wavesart Japanese Grand Piano

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many individual styles from Pa4X might not loaded in Pa5X (see created log file) , if they were migrated from
older models in Pa4X without being fully edited there.
Non factory (custom) Styles are by definition messed in END1/INTRO 1 and also multi time signature is not supported
therefore importing such styles in Pa5X is time wasting until newer OS versions will be released in future ...

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Antony, I actually got it to work I was able to change the gate time on one of the tracks , which is something I couldn’t do in the PA5x itself.
What I found interesting though was that I was able to delete track1 ( all those sys ex messages) and the the chord change symbols in intro/ending 1 in my master track , import it back in , and all the sounds , settings etc were correct, same as it was originally, except gate time had changed.

All the info in track 1, and the chord symbols for intro / ending 1 etc , must be causing the problem when importing back into the original style like a clash of info?

Unfortunately there’s a few I need to fix so provided it doesn’t crash again, I’ll do them.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not ever involve DAW with arrangers , for me it's a matter of minutes to create a whole song with 16 or 32 tracks
in Cubase 12 and use just Pa5X KBD Sets of WavesArt as midi slave and create whatever I like , so I don't have time to play
around with bugs in code of INTRO1/END1 , I have almost a thousand of Pro Styles migrated from Pa4X and especially
important END 1 is messed in all of them and can't be corrected by any mean , not to mention multiple time signature that is lost.

The problem in INTRO1/END1 is not sys-ex or any data written in those tracks , it's the program code itself that destroys
any imported or created from scratch style in those 2 elements that share the same programming code ...
I have given examples in bugs topic and the obvious example is to copy another END 2,3 or a variation at END1 and see how
it alters there as a fixed non chord recognition element so it's just a wasting of time until this will be fully addressed in newer OS.

There is no way even to delete a specific single CV track , only to delete events of this , Edit Style sub menu in EDIT Style mode
is completely empty of all critical style editing functions , whatever Pa5X is , a continuation of Pa4X or a brand new arranger ...

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Antony, wow , what a mess for you with all those affected styles.

I think maybe I haven’t explained properly what I am doing. Since the editing functions I used to use are not currently available in PA5x , I have to export the style into my daw.

I end up with tracks on midi channels. 9 to 16 for style but I also end up with track 1 midi channel 1 which contains dozens of sys ex messages.
My daw also has a master track, it contains time signature, tempo, all the markers for the cv’s , and now with the PA5x it also has text for the chord symbols, ie the chords that you see on the screen when you play intro / ending 1.
I’m trying to change intro 1 or do anything major, but some of the tracks on my converted styles might need velocity adjustment , or being a conversion , maybe it’s in the wrong octave , whatever.

After editing when I tried to import the .mid back into the style, it crashed my keyboard.
I then deleted track1 midi channel 1, also deleted the chord symbols from the master track and only left tempo, time signature, and the markers for the cv’s . I saved and imported it back into the style.
The original style settings were still there, but the notes I had edited in daw gad worked.

That’s what made me think the sys ex messages in track 1 were causing the crash.

I don’t doubt the code is to blame you would know.

It would just be good if there was a way of doing a bit of editing without crashing keyboard.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rikki , I know excactly what you have done , I have done everything you can imagine since Pa800 age with very innonating
methods that noboby knows including SMF code editting.
But nowadays I don't have time and mood to export and edit anything outside Pa5X , I demand Pa5X to have a complete
Style editor to work with as in Pa4X otherwise I do not need an arranger and at current moment I own just the best sounding
workstation with factory styles I don't need !

I have nothing more to expect than KorgPa developers to finish development of styles editor and address all serious bugs
and missing function in next OS releases.

When you edit files outside Pa5X you will certainly face system crashes very rational and expected while I had none after OS v1.1
when all are edited inside Pa5X , and I highly advice you not to experiment crashes on purpose in this way 'cause Pa5X full Res file
with reset do not exist yet for pa5X and if you will corrupt system files then you will wait for months for recovering your Pa5X ...

If you force system/CPU to infinity loop , system files might be corrupted you will get a black booting screen and just OS loading
will not help if not reset & format is applied ...
I've seen it in Pa4X and the same might happen in Pa5X , so guys don't push your luck with an unfinished product ...

rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Antony, certainly don’t want to crash my keyboard, so, sounds like using import/export .mid to style function isn’t safe to use.
I’ll go back to putting my songbook together instead,and leave songs that use my user styles out for time being.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
GXG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
I do not ever involve DAW with arrangers , for me it's a matter of minutes to create a whole song with 16 or 32 tracks
in Cubase 12 and use just Pa5X KBD Sets of WavesArt as midi slave and create whatever I like , so I don't have time to play
around with bugs in code of INTRO1/END1 , I have almost a thousand of Pro Styles migrated from Pa4X and especially
important END 1 is messed in all of them and can't be corrected by any mean , not to mention multiple time signature that is lost.

The problem in INTRO1/END1 is not sys-ex or any data written in those tracks , it's the program code itself that destroys
any imported or created from scratch style in those 2 elements that share the same programming code ...
I have given examples in bugs topic and the obvious example is to copy another END 2,3 or a variation at END1 and see how
it alters there as a fixed non chord recognition element so it's just a wasting of time until this will be fully addressed in newer OS.

There is no way even to delete a specific single CV track , only to delete events of this , Edit Style sub menu in EDIT Style mode
is completely empty of all critical style editing functions , whatever Pa5X is , a continuation of Pa4X or a brand new arranger ...

Did you try the following with faulty Intro/Ending? In my case, it usually works: Edit-New Style, use the copy all function, choose the style you want to correct, apply copy all, then save the style.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your intention to help but I'll put it this way :
Let's say you copy FIN 1 in a new created style and let's suppose it works fine there , then copy this working FIN 1
from new style back to older style and see of what I mean ...

When you create from scratch a style , writting just a single CV END 1 and do not work in chord recognition at all but
behave as a fixed non transpose element that can't been edited to work , what is the meaning for proceeding further
and convert working Styles from Pa4X ?

I don't intent to spend my valuable time with experiments in a faulty style editor , I prefer playing Styles on my Pa4X
and use Pa5X as a workstation with WavesArt's premium sound libraries until this will be fixed !

chelsea4023

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

A comment from Antony Sharmman regarding the new Korg PA5X.

"so guys don't push your luck with an unfinished product" ...

From a guy I consider to be a Korg genius, I think that is the most damning indictment of the PA5X and it's operating system I have read on any Forum to date.

Chris
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This statement has to do with users that cause on purpose system crashes loading corrupted data by changing STY
acronyms or loading externally edited files ... this can easily corrupt system even into a stable OS like the latest of Pa4X.

rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
This statement has to do with users that cause on purpose system crashes loading corrupted data by changing STY
acronyms or loading externally edited files ... this can easily corrupt system even into a stable OS like the latest of Pa4X.

Hi Antony, all I was doing was using the import/export function for .mid to style function. The only option Korg have given us for editing our style files. I did nothing more than change the gate time on one of the tracks and import it back into the style. Same thing I’ve been doing for years on all my korgs.
I Imported the .mid back into style, keyboard crashed.
Then all I did then was remove all the extra data from the .mid file, what was left was nothing more than a normal “.mid file with markers “
I imported it back into style. Worked fine.

Maybe Korg should be removing from it’s list of functions the ability to import / export styles as .mids, if it isn’t safe to do so.
An import / export of a .mid to style shouldn’t make a keyboard crash, unless the problem is to do with the fact that it was a Pa4x to PA5x converted style.
My style wasn’t anything complex, simple 4/4 strings,bass,piano. Gm sounds. Something I put together from Band in a box few years back.

Hope I didn’t give the impression I was trying to do this with an “original PA4x style” it was one I had put thru conversion process to make it a PA5x file.
(I don’t mess with file extensions on korg styles, I read your warning about trying to load stuff we shouldn’t a while back.)

Pretty scary stuff if functions that are listed in the manual aren’t safe to use vs just plain not working.😟

Appreciate you’re doing your best to try and help us get thru this mess.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice has a global users target.

The fact that a computing device can import files in specific format does not mean that it can handle wrong file code or corrupted files.
PaSeries will import/load specific files and expects generic format of files so if you alter for instance SMF0 to an unknown format via a
DAW or hex editor , or externally edit .STY file to supported .STG format etc , then you will crash Pa OS when CPU infinity loop will be
created from unexpected code , like blue screen in your computer.

Therefore an end Pa user that will discover system crash by a supported format file especially from unknown origin, must avoid loading
of such files in the future else unpleasant consequences might occur , this is my advice.

Last edited by AntonySharmman on Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
usaraiya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imported Pete's PA4X Vol1-42 set into Pa5X with mixed results.
Most of them work fine but some Intro 1's are messed up, and almost all have to be re-mixed with volume levels, LH selection of instruments, PAD selection etc.

Has anyone had these problems and fixed them?

Uday
Smile
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty certain Antony has covered this issue...
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: