Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Muting/unmuting various timbres in a Combi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenophile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:58 pm    Post subject: Muting/unmuting various timbres in a Combi Reply with quote

I know we’ve discussed this before, but I haven’t been able to find the thread.
I seem to remember that it was possible to use Karma scenes to mute/unmute various timbres within a Combi.

I have found some YouTube tutorials that accomplish a similar goal by setting the timbres to different midi channels and using Karma to re-route the Kronos keyboard (or incoming midi controller) messages to the desired channels. This seems like kind of a long way around, and is more complicated if you are using an external controller in addition to the Kronos keyboard since you’d have to use a separate Karma module to re-route each keyboard’s midi channel.

Isn’t there a reasonably simple way to map channel mute/unmute settings to Karma scenes? For example, Scene 1 would have all timbres muted except 1, 5 and 9, Scene 2 could have only timbres 2, 6 and 10 unmuted, Scene 3 unmutes timbres 3, 7 and 11…

I feel like someone here has answered this question for me in the past, but I’ve been searching all morning and can’t find it. Sad
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably the topic you're looking for:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=619796#619796

That ultimately brings up this PDF tutorial: http://www.synthify.com/Kronos_SW_dev/Kronos%20Karma%20Combi%20Switching%20Technique.pdf

There's another one for the M3 here at Karma-Lab forums: https://forums.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14430

Which brings up a different PDF (can't directly link to it...) The process is similar to the Kronos, so between all of these, you should be able to get what you need.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are the ones I found. They all refer to the method of using Karma to change the channel of incoming midi controller for the different timbres. It just seems like a convoluted way of doing it, and it uses up the Karma modules. I’m pretty sure someone had a simpler solution, but damned if I can find it. Maybe I dreamt it.
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I'm sorry about that. Maybe there is another way to get it done, I'm not really certain. If it is possible then I suspect it will be within the Dynamic MIDI section of KARMA. Maybe. I have very vague recollection of using Gated GEs to achieve something similar, but it's been at least ten years since I last looked into this. I also recall someone using one of the Limiter effects to mute timbres, by assigning the gain adjust to midi CC 83, or maybe a RT slider, and perhaps then using KARMA somehow activate that CC or slider. Anyway, good luck on your search.
Mersip

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, Karma Scenes is the only way to do what you are describing.

As well as being limited to four modules, it can have some other limitations. In my case, I often use the same sustain pedal to control the Kronos and the slave keyboard (a Korg TR). This is done through Karma but isn't possible if you are using Karma Scenes.

Having said that, Karma Scenes is a great feature and I wouldn't be without it. It's particularly useful if you are getting voice stealing (if there are too many timbres operating). I think Muting a Timbre still has the Timbre operating in the background. Karma Scenes sorts this issue.

I often also use the Stereo Compressor IFX and my Expression Pedal to turn the volume on or off for a sound or group of sounds. This is like an additional Scene on Karma, where the timbres you want to "turn off" you put through one Compressor, and the timbres you want to "turn on" go through a second Compressor.

Kronos2 73 and TR-76
Theramin
PreSonus StudioLive AR16 mixer
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mersip wrote:
I think Muting a Timbre still has the Timbre operating in the background.

That is indeed the case, hence why it is not a very useful way.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Global, first page, look for Mute Mode. You can set it to Studio or Live. Setting it to studio will have muted timbers playing in the background. Setting it to Live will have muted voices disabled.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: