Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hooking up an external midi controller

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdh71

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:23 pm    Post subject: Hooking up an external midi controller Reply with quote

Hi,

I Recently got a Kross (2) and am loving it. I also have an Arturia Minilab 2 that I would like to use as an additional keyboard for a combination ("combi"). So I would like to use the Kross keyboard to control a couple of sounds on the combi, and the Arturia to control an additional sound.

I have been poking around with the combi settings to get this to work, but no luck so far. I am pretty new to midi so don't really know what I am doing, and the Kross manual doesn't have much info on doing something like this. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Look for the page C-Timbre/MIDI tab.
It allows you to configure per timbre (1-16) the MIDI channel (1-16, Gch). The Gch MIDI ID is the global channel. That means that irrespective of the MIDI channel of the KROSS itself (typically it is 1), these timbres will always listen to the keyboard of the Kross itself.

So you need to set a certain timbre to another channel than the Gch and 1, e.g. 2. From then, the timbre will not be controlled anymore by the Kross keyboard.
Then you need to setup the Arturia to use the corresponding MIDI channel, in this example 2 and connect the MIDI out of the Arturia to the Kross. The Kross will then play that timbre when the keys of the Arturia are hit.

Now if I'm not mistaken, the Arturia has no MIDI DIN OUT connector, but only USB. That makes it more complicated, because you need a PC and MIDI interfactes with the right software in between the Kross and the Arturia to connect them...

Have fun.
pdh71

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks - you are right, the Arturia just has USB. I soldered up something to connect its USB to a cheap "USB to midi" device , then plugged the device into the Korg, naively hoping this would work. Probably this is the problem.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A USB MIDI host would be the thing to use. Something like:

https://kentonuk.com/product/midi-usb-host-mk3/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: