Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The dying EC5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:31 am    Post subject: The dying EC5 Reply with quote

Hey guys

I think the EC5 pedal is near extinction Confused
No current Korg arrangers facilitate the EC5.

I have no confidence that this will be "replaced" on the PA5x - Korg believes that it was "not used much" and can be "replaced by a MIDI pedal" - so NOT true!!!!
Maybe if Korg ever provide the MIDI Implementation details for the PAnx series, then there is a little bit of hope for a MIDI solution.

Several EC5 functions are NOT possible using a MIDI pedal - like VAR-UP, VAR-DOWN and a whole heap more....

There are still a few EC5s available so, if you use an EC5 and you're thinking of keeping that PA4x,3x,2x,1x,pa800,i2/i3,i30 then it might be worth grabbing a spare pedal before they totally disappear....

Cheers

Pete Very Happy

https://www.korg.com/au/products/accessories/ec_5/
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Bernie9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am keeping my Pa4x for several reasons, but one is certainly the possible loss of my EC5 pedal. When I saw all of the things One can do with it, I use it everyday. A bad decision if true.
Hammond SK1
Bromalex-vic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who "still" believe in Korg's word Very Happy , and regarding the Pa5X, its FAQ(https://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/pa5x/faq.php) reads that:
Quote:
Q: Will there be a replacement for the EC5 foot switch?
A: The EC5 footswitch has been negatively affected by the component shortages affecting so many industries around the world. We have to redesign it using alternative components but still delivering the same controls. Unfortunately, the production date is still uncertain.

Cheers
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - thanks - I did read that earlier but it is a vague "maybe" and that is worse than their other "predictions".

Korg's "word" is fine but safely vague, non-committal, and disclaimed with "subject to change without notice" for all the items.
This spells "unplanned" to me - they may well have some nice intentions to progress but there is nothing to suggest when, how or what.
Their FAQ&A reads like a wish-list.

OR..... maybe they will treat us and communicate with us professionally - only then will the "trust" improve.

Very Happy
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EC-5 component shortages sounds like a lame excuse! There's almost nothing to the EC-5 pedal. Five switches and a 6-pin DIN socket.

korg1
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suppose there will be a usb foot controller sooner or later ,so don't worry

https://pasongstyles.com/
https://soundcloud.com/korgfx
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
EC-5 component shortages sounds like a lame excuse! There's almost nothing to the EC-5 pedal. Five switches and a 6-pin DIN socket.

Yeah - good point Very Happy
LeSchloma

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To whom it may interest I bought a second Pa4X including an EC5 earlier this year. This remains the perfect combination for me in the future. Let's wait and see how Pa5X develops ... Best, Ralf
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeSchloma wrote:
To whom it may interest I bought a second Pa4X including an EC5 earlier this year. This remains the perfect combination for me in the future. Let's wait and see how Pa5X develops ... Best, Ralf

...been thinking of doing this too - I have 2 EC5 pedals, just need another PA4x Wink

Very Happy
Chuck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with finding a new PA4. None here in the USA that I can find. If found, the prices have really been jack up. Keep searching!

Chuck
Ohio, USA
Old fingers
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:07 am    Post subject: Just saying Reply with quote

now

korg

when you buy a keyboard and whatever it has in it at the time you buy it is all that you should expect nothing more.

When they give you an update that's because they stumbled across and error and fixed it and make it sound like it's something new and better now

who buys a $5000 keyboard and it doesn't have a way to modification of MIDI events.

they just don't seem to be too sure on what they're gonna do or what they will put in in the future korg is not obligate it to put any new functions in. You bought it as is.

And the functions that we want from the wish list seem to never show up it's always maybe in the future.

People like the EX5.. It's like all big companies we will tell you what you need and what you don't need to use.

The Pa4x is done no new operating systems why would they waste their time on old equipment ain't gonna happen there's no money involved there. korg is having a hard time fixing PA5.

So for me if my PA 4X dies, the pa5x can't do what does PA4X can, yes it sounds a little better and weighs a lot more but not worth it and the cost.

but the way I arrange my MIDI files and my MP3 files. All in separate folders.
And for styles I have them all set up as basic rock folder basic jazz basic disco and so on.
I can move songs that are attached to styles over fast .

I can move over to a Medeli Akx 10 or yamaha sx 900
and make the song list up fast ...

and save money .

I don't use it to record in the studio just to play live.

A great con.

Buying a PA5x that is unfinished is the same as, buying a New house without a roof or electricity or water you can still live in it, but it's very uncomfortable when it rains ,or you can play some music. But don't try to edit MIDI events.

Yeah you know it's just my opinion. You heard the same from many of other people on the forum in other places,
now if korg would have started were the PA4x stop with OS 3.1 , with all the functions that were in the PA 4 we're just dragged over, they would maybe have a winner
Maybe korg should look into AI for help.. Now let's hear your opinions ,,
enjoy and play music
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duby2 wrote:
Maybe korg should look into AI for help.. Now let's hear your opinions

Hi Duby

I think it has nearly all been said - there are some owners who are tolerating it, some who have shelved it until fixed, some returned it for refund.

Medeli is tempting but all the while my PA4x is working well, I am not going to buy more gear - especially gear that (unfairly) doesn't perform.

Korg Italy's hands are tightly tied now, so it's up to the newer younger management to take some sensible steps to save the Korg arranger category.
The rest of Korg seems to be driving along just fine.

So, a new arranger which does not work to its specs in a big way, costs big money, and no manufacturer solution or communication for 9 months
Why would anyone buy now???
I feel for those that maintained their trust in Korg and dived in - I did that with my PA4x - no regrets ever... but I am so glad I held off with PA5x - if it had been similarly priced as PA4x (and not 60% more expensive), I would probably own one right now with huge frustrations and regrets.

Take care

P Very Happy
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject: Just saying Reply with quote

looks like Korg is focusing in on ,as korg calls it home entertainment keyboards.
the EK -50 keyboards.
They keep making a new version of this keyboard which is nice, and it's more affordable at $500.00 dollars, more people will buy this keyboard before the expensive monster.

I expect in two or three years korg will replace the PA1000 keyboard with a new PA1100, it will be half the price and have the OS halfway fixed , so you don't have to play it in your garage you could take it to work.

I'd like to buy one but I can't buy one that's broke from the start

I'd like to know out of all the arranger keyboards which one was the most popular or sold the most, to me it looks like the pa700 did the best...
taichi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Duby

Market research shows that “home entertainment” of all sorts is the latest trend, from eating and drinking, streaming music and films and yes, playing musical instruments. It kicked off big time with Covid when people could not leave their houses and now with the rising cost of living it is here to stay.

Older people have always been known to buy the majority of keyboards for the home. All manufacturers are driven by trends including Korg. That’s why they have just updated EK-50 series. It`s what people want and can afford. A win win for all. The Pa700 is a great bit of kit, it`s my “go to” keyboard, indoors and outdoors.

Does the Pa5X fit into this latest trend of “home entertainment” ? No, the cost alone makes it a no brainer for families. Is it possible that Korg, because of the huge amount of things wrong with 5X will not throw good money after bad and simply pull the plug ?

Thanks Duby

Take care
Adam A7X studio monitors
Steinway upright piano
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:27 pm    Post subject: jump ship Reply with quote

taichi thanks you

I do agree with what you say
and since the PA 5 will not be ready for few more years to do the same things that the PA4 can do now.. I'll wait until December..

I would like to buy one if it worked

have you noticed the PA 5X looks a lot like Yamaha Genos accept the Pad Matrix.

Maybe employees from Yamaha jump ship and went to korg

Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: