Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA700 not able to save style/sounds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
manoj

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:05 pm    Post subject: PA700 not able to save style/sounds Reply with quote

Hi All,
My friend's is facing an issue on his PA 700 when trying to save a custom style or sound after editing. It shows "access denied". I checked the Media write protect. It is off. When we try to do a resource backup, it shows "the media is write-protected". Is this a motherboard issue or a setting to be updated?

Thanks in advance
Manoj
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: PA700 not able to save style/sounds Reply with quote

manoj wrote:
.. an issue on Pa700 when trying to save a custom style or sound after editing. It shows "access denied". I checked the Media write protect. It is off. When we try to do a resource backup, it shows "the media is write-protected". Is this a motherboard issue or a setting to be updated?..

After editing, it would only be a problem if a WRITE of the edited/changed data didn't work.

Editing a style does not allow to SAVE a style to a device, but is necessary to WRITE that style to an area of Factory, User, Local or Direct.
It is the same with editing a Sound - leaving sound edit is to terminate with a WRITE command to be successful.
SAVE commands are used for data contained in memory to move data to devices (microSD, external devices ...).
Same is done with Resource Backup command to copy such data into compact and easy-to-store archives of devices.

Your Access denied and Media write-protected does not mean your motherboard but devices that are not ready to access data you want move via backup or save!

PS: A singular style or sound cannot be saved directly, because with SAVE (from internal SYS) Pa700s proprietary data are saved into special folders with the ‘.set’ filename extension. These special folders can be saved inside ordinary folders.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
manoj

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you siebenhirter.
I am trying to save the style/sound to a user location. Not to the factory or external device. It doesn't allow that. As of now I am not able to make a user style or sound. When I try to save it, the access denied message popup appears. Even a new set cannot be loaded into it.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:32 pm    Post subject: Write or Load user data Reply with quote

manoj wrote:
..I am trying to save the style/sound to a user location. Not to the factory or external device. It doesn't allow that. As of now I am not able to make a user style or sound. When I try to save it, the access denied message popup appears. Even a new set cannot be loaded into it.

Styles/sounds can not be SAVED to user locations, because data can only be transferred to the user area with a WRITE or LOAD command.

Save, however, is a procedure to keep data safe, to avoid data loss etc., but not to occupy the user area of the internal memory.
Simply use LOAD or WRITE command of your Pa700 to get styles and sounds into your user locations.
Your new set (set folder) can only be a product of the internal memories you saved from your Pa700 to a device. So I don't understand why you can't load it there, where you just got it from.

Or did you try to load user data from a connected personal computer?
This does not work due to the Pa700's proprietary data format. It is possible to connect the Pa700's USB DEVICE to the USB port of a personal computer and thus transfer data to the Pa700's internal drive, but this does not mean that this data can be loaded directly into the user area.

In addition, it should be noted only to use the USB connection for data exchange purpose and not to modify the structure of the SET folders, or you will no longer be able to use them on Pa700.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
manoj

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a confusion on what I mentioned as Save. I am trying to write the style from style creator to a user bank. It doesn't allow that. After creating a new style in style creator, when I try write style, it shows access denied. Same issue when I edit a sound in sound mode, and try to write sound.

i think the internal memory is write protected.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manoj wrote:
I think there is a confusion on what I mentioned as Save. I am trying to write the style from style creator to a user bank. It doesn't allow that. After creating a new style in style creator, when I try write style, it shows access denied. Same issue when I edit a sound in sound mode, and try to write sound.

i think the internal memory is write protected.

Of course there is a confusion of hearing someone "try to save a custom style or sound to a user bank".
That is because in user banks only writing, deleting or renaming is possible with system commands (write, load, delete, rename) in this area of the internal memory.
User bank is no ordinary media due to the pre-configured type of data inside the instrument’s memory, which can be set to write-protect by the user, so that the message "the media is write-protected" is also confused.
If no styles and sounds can be written into the user banks, there is obviously a system error. It is probably not possible to understand why this happens and no assumptions will help. It was mentioned in many postings that incompatible data loaded into memory is often responsible for this.
It is therefore recommended not to load any external resources (setfiles) before listening and testing them via Direct Data.
I think you should try to test whether the user area reacts to other system commands and whether the existing user bank data is still visible and usable at all.
For example, a user style can be copied to a free user location with a "Copy/Paste".
If this works, the internal memory cannot be write protected.
If the copied user style is clicked and usable, it can be deleted with the "Delete" command of the page menu.
If that works too, that's another indication that the internal memory isn't write-protected.
You can also copy an entire user bank to an empty user bank with "Select All (Bank)" and "Copy and Paste".
If there is already data there, the message "Do you want to overwrite ...." comes up, but if the user bank is empty, it can be filled with the copy/paste.
If that works, you can possibly also delete the user resources of a complete bank, or rename it with a "Rename User Banks" etc. to check the internal memory for write-protect.
What else could be done:
If a backup exists use choose the restore command (Media > Utility > Resource Restore). This command will delete from the internal memory all types of data (selected in dialog box), including your custom data. If you did not remove protection from Factory you avoid overwriting the standard musical resources (factory/local), so only custom data are overwritten with backup data - mayby now internal memory will be able to write user styles and user sounds.

If not, next that could be tried is to reinstall last OS (.pkg)

In case due to memory corruption or loading of incompatible data you could ask KORG for a reset file (Pa700-Factory-Reset.pkg).
I think installing Factory-Reset will delete all data from the internal memory.

manoj

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Siebenhirter. I think the internal memory is write protected. I am not able to copy a style or a sound to another user location using copy and paste. The resource backup is showing error message "The media is write-protected". While in mode preferences - protect page, Media and global are not checked. when I try to check it, there is another error "AutoSave has encountered an error while saving a resource".

I tried reinstalling the OS too. But it didn't help.

Is there any shortcut or key combination which can lock/unlock the internal disk?
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can unprotect the factory data in the global menu.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:15 pm    Post subject: Protected KORG DISK Reply with quote

manoj wrote:
Is there any shortcut or key combination which can lock/unlock the internal disk?

No, unfortunately I don't know. Also the test mode / service mode will not help in this regard either, which could be started with undocumented key combinations.
You mentioned RESOURCE BACKUP IS SHOWING ERROR MESSAGE "THE MEDIA IS WRITE-PROTECTED" simply means, you cannot make a "Resource Backup" (via MEDIA/Utility) from your internal memory to a device.

That device could be the KORG DISK (internal disc), a SD card (Korg SD), an USB (USB-R or USB-F) - and these devices naturally maybe are write protected. So simply make them unprotected to be able for a Resource Backup - if Backup should be located at Korg Disk unprotect Media in Menu Global/Preferences.

If the internal disk (KORG DISK) still displays "Media is write-protected" then I suspect an unresolved system Software Inadequacy, that may be related to "Protecting files and folders".

These protect command from page menu is for media pages, to select one or more items of a medium. Choosing this command will protect selected files or folders from writing or erasing. When protecting without selection of items, the whole media will be protected - but unfortunately this is not documented anywhere by Korg.

Unintentionally you may have completely protected your Korg disk with the Unprotect in the Page menu. Unfortunately, this is not recognizable, because the protected files are not displayed unless you use the Copy command - only then the individual files become visible!

In that case try following:
- unprotect Media in Global:Mode Preferences
- push MEDIA button
- in MEDIA select DISK [KORG DISK]
- select "Copy" - you will see now, if there are protected Files on KORG DISK
- if KORG DISK is empty, mayby the whole disk is protected - in this case touch Page menu (arrow down on top right) and select "Unprotect" command.

Now KORG DISK should be accessible for a resource backup.
You mentioned also "I AM NOT ABLE TO COPY A STYLE OR A SOUND TO ANOTHER USER LOCATION USING COPY AND PASTE".
"Copy and Paste" (from PageMenu) is a command allowed to CopyAndPaste from-and-to non-protected Factory-/Local-/User- and DirectBanks.
I hope this doesn't happen again after unprotecting Korg Disk as described above.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: