Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Filter/Ignore System Real time "Start/Stop" messag

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kid_invincible

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Filter/Ignore System Real time "Start/Stop" messag Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm trying to control a Volca Keys and Volca Bass from a hardware sequencer and I'm having an issue with this setup.

When I hit "play" on my hardware sequencer I would like the Korg Volcas NOT to start playing their internal sequence. Is there a way to have the volcas only receive note data and not system Real Time Messages?

I can keep a blank pattern on each Volca, and then just hit stop on each one after starting my sequencer, but that can be cumbersome, and as my sets develop that extra slot becomes more valuable.

If I change the Volca's Global Midi Short Rx setting to "Off" note data is not received, but "start/stop" system real time messages are still received.

Anybody know how to accomplish this without a dedicated hardware midi filter?

Thanks!
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

On the FM you can choose in the global settings to use the internal clock instead of the auto mode.
This disables in fact the processing of the Real Time Messages and thus also the start of the sequencer.
Unfortunately you also lose the sync to the clock of the external HW sequencer, which might be interesting for ARPs or LFOs.

Maybe look also in the HW sequencer settings, whether you can disable the transmit of the Start/Stop messages.

Bye.
kid_invincible

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpAmp wrote:
Hi,

On the FM you can choose in the global settings to use the internal clock instead of the auto mode.
This disables in fact the processing of the Real Time Messages and thus also the start of the sequencer.
Unfortunately you also lose the sync to the clock of the external HW sequencer, which might be interesting for ARPs or LFOs.

Maybe look also in the HW sequencer settings, whether you can disable the transmit of the Start/Stop messages.

Bye.

Thanks for the response!

That would definitely fix the issue, I actually hadn't thought to disable the sync altogether, duh!

That does limit me somewhat, though. Currently, I want to keep the sync rolling for two reasons:
1)because I am passing the sync on to two other volcas (beat, and sample).
2)I am switching between the internal sequencers on the volcas & the sequencer from the hardware(Yamaha MOXF6).

And as you say, this also leaves open the possibility of recording filter sweeps, delay repeats and whatnot, which essentially gives me another hand drawn oscillator shape. Which is pretty rad.

There is indeed a way to filter out the start/stop messages and still transmit clock from the MOXF6, but the only issue is that I have a drum machine that I WOULD like to have the start/stop messages transmitted to Rolling Eyes

So for now it looks like I'll have to pick which one is more important and either get good at starting drum machine and MOXF at the same time, or forego tempo sync for the bass & keys altogether and tempo sync the sample & beats another way.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that is kind of annoying, devices for which you want the Start/Stop and others not...

An Arduino with a MIDI shield to the rescue?! It could be programmed with a Start/Stop filter that you can enable/disable with push on a button. You could then insert this in between your HW sequencer and the Volca. The MIDI clock and notes would travel through it.

Bye.
kid_invincible

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpAmp wrote:
Yeah, that is kind of annoying, devices for which you want the Start/Stop and others not...

An Arduino with a MIDI shield to the rescue?! It could be programmed with a Start/Stop filter that you can enable/disable with push on a button. You could then insert this in between your HW sequencer and the Volca. The MIDI clock and notes would travel through it.

Bye.

Yeah, that's a thought... I've got an uno and a MIDI shield laying around, maybe I should give that a shot.

Midi solutions makes a event processor that does all kinds of neat stuff but it's $149: http://www.midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm
spirit68

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do what everyone does. delete sequence #1 and keep it empty when using hardware sequencers.
johnbass@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 1:15 am    Post subject: How to keep the Korg Voca FFM2 seq from starting Reply with quote

Put a dummy jack into the sync input with no clock. that way the FM2 will still receive midi note info without playing its own sequencer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: