Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sending Sysex from Ableton Live to Korg PA4X?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
patpsc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject: Sending Sysex from Ableton Live to Korg PA4X? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Does anyone in this forum know how to send a sysex message to the PA4X using Ableton Live? I've searched for this method in both the Ableton Live and Max4Live forums but I could not find a solid solution or a sample of a Max4Live device to do this.

I'm running Ableton Live and play live with the PA4X, and I want to send a sysex message to the 4X sometime in the middle of the song.

Thanks
Pat
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sending Sysex from Ableton Live to Korg PA4X? Reply with quote

patpsc wrote:
.. how to send a sysex message to the PA4X using Ableton Live? ... I want to send a sysex message to the 4X sometime in the middle of the song ...

I think SysEx messages over the MIDI interfaces between Ableton Live (sender) and Pa4x (receiver) work as usual - the sender must be able to transmit the message and the receiver must be able to recognice it.

The Pa4x is known to be able to both transmit and recognize SysEx - it is also described as such in the MIDI implementation of the manual. Of course, the transmission of SysEx messages in the Midi interface must not be filtered.
In SySex Support The Knowledge Base from Help.ableton.com is specified, that Live 10 and 11 support the transfer of sysex messages through for Live, that is included in Live Suite or an add-on for Live Standard.

More tips for working with sysex can be found in this support, including advice, that it's easier to use MIDI CC messages, as these can be accessed using MIDI Ctrl clip envelopes in Live and you don't need to use Max for Live. That of course only is possible if SysEx and MIDI CC both control the same parameters.
Since KORG has not published any SysEx messages for the Pa4x, I cannot imagine why the Pa4x should be controlled with SysEx messages. The few SysEx's I know of are the ones in the header of midi files, which are written there when the SMFs are created by a Pa-arranger.

You can use this SysExs header if you analyze it beforehand (setting of tracks, EQ, effects, drum families, drawbars).

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: