Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone interested in getting the Pa5x now ???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:33 pm    Post subject: Anyone interested in getting the Pa5x now ??? Reply with quote

Just out of interest .

Now the 5x has had its latest OS , is anyone who has the pa4x interested in moving over to the 5x ?

Whether yes or no please explain your reasons no criticism from me either way . Just interested .
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more update and I'll make my final decision.
I am not confident yet.... but it's looking good Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:43 am    Post subject: wait Reply with quote

You should wait for more updates.
Until it catches up to the PA 4 .
It's just lipstick on a pig. Save your money for a while. You're doing great with the PA 4 already.
And some day soon it will drop in price.
Smile
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+100
Agree with that
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am tempted by the PA5x-88 full weighted piano version. I miss my grand piano which I could not bring with me when I moved back to the UK.

The Italian Piano on Pa4x is superb ... Is there an even better piano on the Pa5x? I think the only improvement that could be made is half damper support and proper pedal resonance (i.e. on open damper you play a note and the 5th and octaves resonate). Any Pa5x owner - tell me if this has been done?
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty much still in the no camp . I can’t see anything on the Pa5 x that anyone has demonstrated is different to the pa4x that I would actually use musically in real life .

Too much time has passed by for the new keyboard to get me hyped up about a new purchase and the abysmal initial launch of the instrument and long delay on a very necessary update has just poured cold water over the instrument for me .

But I can never say never .
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Sherratt wrote:
... Is there an even better piano on the Pa5x? ....

Rob,
I've yet to play the Pa5x or even see one, which is why I hardly post a comment anymore...but I remember someone talking about the Piano presets being very hissy and noisy. I can't remember who that was, but because piano is my main interest, I remember that discussion. Multiple people confirmed that, so maybe that's one thing you should look into as well... in case if that is still true.

redfox

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone interested in getting the Pa5x now ??? Reply with quote

worth wrote:

Now the 5x has had its latest OS , is anyone who has the pa4x interested in moving over to the 5x?

At the moment, I am still satisfied with my Pa4X-76, and I haven't found any valid reasons to switch to the Pa5X.
I don't criticize anyone who is interested in making the transition, but personally I have carefully evaluated the effort required to change keyboards and the benefits I would gain: so far, I haven't found enough significant advantages that justify the switch.
From what I read, there are still some things that need to be addressed, and at this moment, I am not even entirely sure how Korg will support this product: when the Pa4X was released, monthly collections with additional styles were published, but it seems that this practice has ceased. I wouldn't want to invest time and money without being certain that the product will receive the support it deserves.
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for replies.

If there is a hissy piano sound on the Pa5x, then it is an absolute no-no for me. I have seen the reports from several Pa5x owners. Also the blown LED problem reported on Pa5x is a show stopper - a similar thing happened on the PA2x and I had to send mine to Italy for new circuit boards to be fitted. Apparently way back then, it was not a circuit design fault in the Pa2x but was a faulty batch of LEDs from the LED manufacturer.

Anyway I've come full circle trying out different keyboards. After the PA2x I bought a Roland BK5, then a Yamaha Genos, and then on Timur's recommendation I traded the Genos for the Pa4x-OR-76 and I am very happy with it -- best piano sounds of any keyboard I ever owned.
taichi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every single post here sums up my feelings in a nutshell. Each day that passes will highlight yet another Pa5X fault. The hissing and noisy piano sound was reported here ages ago, the LEDs are cracking, not suitable for gigs only the home, numerous faults reported in Stickies and the list goes on and on.

This list is the reason to stick with our beloved Pa4X. It is a no brainer. Having said that do we a need a reason? I said here years ago “love your Pa4X and treasure it”. How true has that turned out to be.

Good posts everyone, well done.

Take care
Adam A7X studio monitors
Steinway upright piano
johnsmies
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As all of you here seem to favour the PA4X over the PA5X I was wondering about the following:
I played Korg arrangers for over 15 years , did my fair share of programming ,which several of you enjoyed as well, then in 2018 switched to Ketron, retaining a KMA on top.
Recently I purchased a secondhand PA4X and had software handed to me from several folks here on the forum. But...........I was hoping that among all of that there would be some good SONGBOOKS, not so much with song REGISTRATIONS but with GENERIC REGISTRATIONS . Alas....all that I have come across so far are styles combined with righthand sounds that have hardly been tweaked or seriously laboured on. If there is anyone here who can offer a decent Songbook with lots of tweaked Registrations etc.etc. I would be happy to get it and subsequently donate for the efforts. !!!!
Come to think of it the same holds forth for User Sounds and User Styles. There is any amount of User Styles available but even most of the Korg Bonus styles need tweaking imho......

John Smies
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John

I just sent you SB (inc Korg's entries plus many song configurations) and very many styles - I'm guessing no good????

The original PA4x NEXT SONGBOOK plus the factory styles have many decent "generic" and "song-specific" configurations - all styles having 4 keyboard-sets ready to play.
Depending on what you want, I can't imagine not having to "tweak" styles and registrations in any arranger.

I think you need to be more specific and (politely) wondering if you should perform a factory reset (OS re-install) as your PA4x is a second-hand one - maybe you're looking at the previous owner's custom SONGBOOK, sounds, styles. PA4x is very very playable out-of-the-box (I am referring to the PA4X NEXT with latest OS).

Pete Very Happy
johnsmies
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete,

First of all belated big thanks for sending me your Songbook but as you have surmised it was not what I have been looking for. And to make matters clear from the start I reset the PA4x to factory default and afterwards loaded stuff from a.o. the Korg demonstrator here in Holland. Still not very convinced..it all sounds too contrived too blank and uninspiring. I know why, I know what is missing here, after all I had all that 10 years ago with my PA800 which I subsequently re-programmed taking me months and months of hard work.
(interesting to see how you and others commented on that 10 years ago by the way: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=66602

I am not looking for MORE but for BETTER. I have styles galore, sounds galore, could do with some extra good exterior User Samples but most of all I would need good Total Registrations ( formerly called Performances) and not necessarily or even preferably NOT song bound even though they would have to be stored in the Songbook.

Creating ONE good total registration requires going into both left hand stuff and right hand stuff in detail. It involves adepting Reverb, Chorus and EQ just for starters ( on all Acc. sections etc) . It may involve replacing instruments in the Acc. section etc.etc. and definitely adjusting the Drums !!
Unfortunately and due to circumstances beyond my control ( as you know) I have not got what it takes do to all that again the way I did on the PA800 at the time. Hence my question to others and hopefully some will feel inclined to give me a headstart here.

By the way I did receive and load Qui Robinez Mellifluous Set, which is a start as well as Reuben's Yamaha C5 piano samples which are quite impressive.....so I haven't been idle really.... Smile Smile

Thanks for your comment Pete !!

John
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John

johnsmies wrote:
I am not looking for MORE but for BETTER. I have styles galore, sounds galore, could do with some extra good exterior User Samples but most of all I would need good Total Registrations ( formerly called Performances) and not necessarily or even preferably NOT song bound even though they would have to be stored in the Songbook.

Fair enough - had not understood that...
Your requirement is very subjective of course, so hopefully someone will have set up SONGBOOK entries (performances/registrations) that particularly suit your needs.
johnsmies wrote:
Creating ONE good total registration requires going into both left hand stuff and right hand stuff in detail. It involves adepting Reverb, Chorus and EQ just for starters ( on all Acc. sections etc) . It may involve replacing instruments in the Acc. section etc.etc. and definitely adjusting the Drums !!

As you say, customise to suit your needs - can be a lot of work.
johnsmies wrote:
Unfortunately and due to circumstances beyond my control ( as you know) I have not got what it takes do to all that again the way I did on the PA800 at the time. Hence my question to others and hopefully some will feel inclined to give me a headstart here.

I hope you get some answers but I still think you might need to define your requirements in a lot more detail.

Good luck
Take care

Pete Very Happy
johnsmies
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete, I have sent you an email going into detail as to how I set about programming my Registrations and what I expect from those. My appreciation again for sharing your songbook and giving me advice etc. !!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: