Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg store sample libraries

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocknrolldog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject: Korg store sample libraries Reply with quote

I’m very confused about adding additional sound libraries to my Kronos2. I have the max 3 gig memory card installed. I have no additional sounds added and I only have about 700 MB of memory left. 😳 I have added an additional hard drive 1 TB so plenty of room. The EX legendary strings requires over 500 MB of sample memory! Geez
1. Is there a simple method to load more sound libraries without having to turn off and effecting your factory sounds?
2. It seems some libraries require some of the samples to be loaded to work properly or in a specific bank.
3. Would love some links to demonstrate an easy way to toggle on an off the sounds to free up memory if this is the only way to approach this. Wanted to buy some of the Ex’s while they are on sale.
Thanks for any help
pete.m

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is that you don't have to have everything loaded into RAM. You can run your expansion libraries by streaming them from the SSD. You can then have several expansion libraries loaded into your Kronos, and have access to them all.

I haven't got the manual to hand, and so I can't give you the right page to look at. But it's all in there, and it's easier for you to follow the manual than for me to type it all out. There are also some Youtube videos that explain the process well.

You'll need to be in Global Mode on the page where you manage your KSCs to decide what you want to have as an Auto-Load and what you prefer to leave out. You can change your Auto-Loads at any time, too.

It might take you a few minutes to get a feel for how it works but, once you have it, it's easy enough to use.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Korg store sample libraries Reply with quote

Rocknrolldog wrote:
The EX legendary strings requires over 500 MB of sample memory! Geez

In fact, on a stock K2 you are already loading about 100 MB of the EXs11 or Legendary Strings via the K2's existing EXs18 collection, which includes samples from the EXs11 (strings) and also the EXs15 (choir) and the EXs16 (brass). Type "18" in the program search tool on your K2 and you will find which existing programs use strings from the EXs18 (identical to EXs11).

So in short, you will only need an extra 400 MB of RAM as you won't need to load the EXs11 or Legendary Strings portion of the EXs18 collection you already have on the K2. This can sound a bit confusing, but once you work a bit on it, you will find it easier.
pete.m

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What KK says is true for that particular library, but I was talking about generally using EXs libraries without using up all the RAM with the first one you load. When you add each new EXs to the KSC Auto-Load page, you have a choice to load it into either RAM or Virtual Memory. The first option will load the entire library - 500mb here - whilst the second will only load a fraction of it, maybe 40mb or whatever, and will stream the EXs from the SSD. When you buy a new EXs, it tells you how much memory each option uses. So you can load several EXs at once, without running out of RAM.
Rocknrolldog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:19 pm    Post subject: Installing Sound Libraries Reply with quote

Thank You all for the tips and I appreciate your patients. I took some time to review the manual an YouTube videos and EXs library installation manuals as suggested. So it looks like I can install the EXs 11 into the default banks and should be enough memory to preload KSC upon startup. Now the confusion.
I have purchased :
1. Ex Bundle Symphonics Dreams 4 Bundle 39,45,46,47 EXs’s
2. Exs 175 Accordian
3. EXs 103 Celtic Pipes
4. EXs 116 Power Brass
A. My confusion is installing each library when they all want to default to the “u” banks both programs and combo’s not sure if the wave sequences are same banks yet.
B. Since I will have used all my Ram-do I always select virtual memory for the rest of these libraries. And or do I create separate KSC preloads of the other 4 EXs mentioned above ? I’m guessing the Dreams Bundle all need to be loaded for the sounds to work properly.
C. Which makes me wonder if creating new KSC preloads should always include the factory preload ( minus EXS11 for memory sake)in case any sounds that need to be accessed will be available.
Suggestions and Thanks!
pete.m

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some complex stuff in there.

Glad that you've got to grips with the need to use Virtual Memory instead of RAM. You're going to have all the room you need for those libraries, as long as you use Virtual Memory wherever possible.

As for loading the libraries, there is a default to loading them on certain banks, but you are free to ignore that and specify another bank. In my case, learning of that after buying one or two libraries led me to the conclusion that I needed to put a little work into getting the PCG that I really wanted, rather than being stuck with the Factory sounds that fill up all 2500+ but which include many hundreds of sounds that are of little or no use.

I took an afternoon out to choose which ones I wanted to keep, and which I should get shot of. The latter consisted of things like the poor-quality saxes, trumpets etc, the many near-repetitions of sounds and the sounds that I would never dream of using. Out of the 21 banks, I ended up with about nine free banks, and then loaded the libraries into those.

It is also the case that you don't have to keep the whole PCG for each library. Once again, there are many near-duplicates of sounds, and things you'll never use. I found it easier to load the lot, and then audition and delete the unnecessary ones. Sometimes, I'll only need to keep 10-15 out of the 128 programs, and that's plenty.

This might sound like a lot of work, but it's paid so many dividends down the years - I have exactly what I want in the PCG, and still have plenty of room to expand if need be. I strongly recommend it.

All the above is for programs, because I spend all my time in Sequencer mode. I don't know how it works with combis and wave sequences - sorry, but I never need to use them.

You do definitely need the Factory Preload, in order to have access to the existing sounds. Remember that you can set up several different KSCs for different projects if you do find out that you've run out of memory at some future point - for example, one Auto-load for your Accordion projects, another for your Brass etc. But you shouldn't need to think about that right now.

Sorry I can't answer all your questions, but I hope this helps you a bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: