Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Top 3 Kronos Piano Expansion Packs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
average_male

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:18 am    Post subject: Top 3 Kronos Piano Expansion Packs Reply with quote

Hello,

Was hoping to get a sense as to what is considered to be the top 3 piano expansion packs sold on Korg's website for the Kronos. I realize different people like different piano sounds but I was hoping to get a sense as to which patch mostly reflects the high-end grand concert pianos and not the honky-tonk or electric pianos,etc. I realize I can download and test them out, but with well over 50 to select from, was hoping to get a smaller sample space to start with.

To start the conversation, this is what ChatGPT noted as the top 3 when asked:

"Kronos Italian Grand" by K-Sounds
"Kronos German Grand" by K-Sounds
"KApro EXs220 - KApro's Private Collection V3" by KArp

Who amongst you are brave enough to refute or challenge this list?

Thanks.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
Sorry: I wasn't even aware that ChatGPT only knew how to play the piano
Wink

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
BlackForest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will plenty of topics about this. My absolute favorite is the warm sounding Ital.Grand. Worth every penny to me, I hardly ever play any of the others, I even removed (incl. samples) the Japanese Grand.

Is there not a sales going on right now? So you might want to be quick in your decision making.

Korg DS-8, Roland D-10, M1Rex, Wavestation, Korg SP-280, JV2080, Wavestate, Kronos LS - all RIP
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question! Are there any felt pianos that use the SDX2 engine?
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
average_male

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackForest wrote:
You will plenty of topics about this. My absolute favorite is the warm sounding Ital.Grand. Worth every penny to me, I hardly ever play any of the others, I even removed (incl. samples) the Japanese Grand.

Is there not a sales going on right now? So you might want to be quick in your decision making.

Thank you. This one? https://korg.shop/sound-libraries/kronos-nautilus/exs21.html
or this one:
https://ksounds.com/product/epic-grand-piano-sample-library-korg-kronos/

Last edited by average_male on Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
BlackForest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

average_male wrote:
BlackForest wrote:

Thank you. This one? https://korg.shop/sound-libraries/kronos-nautilus/exs21.html

Yes, that's the one. Try it out..Smile

Korg DS-8, Roland D-10, M1Rex, Wavestation, Korg SP-280, JV2080, Wavestate, Kronos LS - all RIP
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, the three best are all from Korg, the Italian (Fazioli / EXs21), the Austrian (Bösendorfer / EXs12) and the Berlin (Bechstein / EXs17). The German (Steinway / EXs06) and Japanese (Yamaha / EXs07) are OK when you need more memory for other things but they don't sound as good.
average_male

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
To me, the three best are all from Korg, the Italian (Fazioli / EXs21), the Austrian (Bösendorfer / EXs12) and the Berlin (Bechstein / EXs17). The German (Steinway / EXs06) and Japanese (Yamaha / EXs07) are OK when you need more memory for other things but they don't sound as good.

Thanks, plan on trying some of these out today.
wocongming

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Top 3 Kronos Piano Expansion Packs Reply with quote

average_male wrote:
Hello,

Was hoping to get a sense as to what is considered to be the top 3 piano expansion packs sold on Korg's website for the Kronos. I realize different people like different piano sounds but I was hoping to get a sense as to which patch mostly reflects the high-end grand concert pianos and not the honky-tonk or electric pianos,etc. I realize I can download and test them out, but with well over 50 to select from, was hoping to get a smaller sample space to start with.

To start the conversation, this is what ChatGPT noted as the top 3 when asked:

"Kronos Italian Grand" by K-Sounds
"Kronos German Grand" by K-Sounds
"KApro EXs220 - KApro's Private Collection V3" by KArp

Who amongst you are brave enough to refute or challenge this list?

im going to be honest with you. Im a concert pianist(not saying you need to be one in order to make this coming assessment)...
but just about ALL these kronos pianos(ive tried them ALL), have such major range related flaws. in spots, the notes are too thin(with little to no dynamic range), or too harsh and or metalic sounding like most of the piano samples at middle C and C# except the german dark grandc or too quiet or loud compared to the rest of the keyboard range of notes etc and etc.
Anyone whos played on real pianos would notice these things.

Thanks.
rpowell01

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be warned of CHATGPT. It is NOT true AI so I would be careful even using it. It has to be trained by HUMANS and it only searches the internet for answers. Its not a true AI system and is a scam.
average_male

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackForest wrote:
average_male wrote:
BlackForest wrote:

Yes, that's the one. Try it out..Smile

Yea, that is by far the best I have heard, and darn, the sale is over : (
drvenom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still a complete neophyte when it comes to the Kronos. My main interest in the Kronos is acoustic pianos. I know the Kronos does a lot of cool stuff, but Pianos is my jam. Having said that, my Kronos 88 came with th e EXs12 Austrian Piano. I purchased the Korg Sound Pack 3.0 last black friday to get the Berlin.

Unfortunately, the Berlin has been quite a dissapointment. To me, the fundamental sound of the berlin is too mechanical. It almost sounds like the happer stricking is part of the fundamental sound. I tried changing some setting and nothing gets rid of that. I can expand on this if anyone wants me to. On the other hand, the Austrian Piano is phenomenal and a pleasure to play. This piano is so well suited for classical music. I can practice on the Austrian Grand the same day I practice on my Grand Piano and still feel really satisfied. It doesn't feel like a huge compromise.

From my recollection, the Japanese and German Pianos definitely sound better than the Berlin, but nowhere near the Austrian. But I need to spend more time with them. I'm not quite sure right now, but I think it was the Japanese piano that sounded quite thin, which might be nice for pop music. Like I said, I have to spend more time with them.

As black friday approaches, I've been debating purchasing the Italian Grand. However, I'm just not caught up enough on how to use the Kronos. I have to learn how to clear Ram so that I can have both the Austrian and Italian grands loaded at the same time. If it's too much of a pain in the butt, I might not bother getting the Italian grand. I also have a demo of vsl Fazioli right now, so I might use the funds for that instead. However, despite how nice piano libraries sound, I don't like using them. They take a lot, and I mean a lot, of tinkering to get the playability and dynamics that you get out of the box with the Kronos. Sure, I do have to adjust the Kronos a bit, but nowhere near all the hoop jumping one has to do with piano libraries. I have to think about what I'm going to do. I can't buy both of these products because I have to buy an Ooni pizza oven lol. Anyways, so far my favorite expansion iss the Austrian Piano.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think each Kronos piano library can have its uses. The Berlin/Bechstein has a darker and slightly ghostly side to it that cannot be obtained with the others (German/Steinway, Austrian/Bösendorfer, Italian/Fazioli). My favorite is now the Italian/Fazioli, but again they all have certain unique aspects that can be useful for particular purposes. The trick is to create your own custom programs of each of them that suits your playing and tastes.

The last recording I did of a classical piece with the Berlin/Bechstein sounds fine IMHO. I particularly like the sound I get from it with more pedal during the coda (last minute or so). You can check it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieRwcS_mlJI.
Pedja
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@KK Fantastic playing and fantastic piano sound!!!
My music: https://soundcloud.com/pedjak-1
http://moca.virtual.museum/autogallery2017/autogallery_kalajdzijevic/
http://moca.virtual.museum/dablog/dablog02.htm
http://moca.virtual.museum/autogallery2019/autogallery_kalajdzijevic/
https://www.saatchiart.com/PedjaK
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedja wrote:
@KK Fantastic playing and fantastic piano sound!!!

Thank you Pedja, I'm using a personal custom variation of the Korg Berlin/Bechstein piano, I think it can sound nice for certain classical pieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: