Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg RK100S II USB & MIDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjnoxon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:04 am    Post subject: Korg RK100S II USB & MIDI Reply with quote

On the keytar there is a USB 'B' type connector, and a MIDI out but no MIDI in. The main function for the USB is for connecting the keytar to a computer for programing the sounds (patches) within the keytar, but USB has many other uses that are supported by various manufacturers.

Some keyboards are setup to use their USB 'B' type connector for attaching another MIDI controller like drum pads for example. To do that it has to send power and receive "class compliant" USB MIDI. Does the RK100S II do that?

Some keyboards are setup to run "class compliant" USB MIDI in AND MIDI out, so the USB is like a MIDI 'interface. Does the RK100S II do that?

Some keyboards, like my MODX, will route the USB MIDI input out the MIDI output. Does the RK100S II do that?

I would like to use the keytar without any wires connecting to stage equipment. Since there is no MIDI in, I might use the CME-pro "WIDI U host" which would connect to the keytar's USB 'B' type connector. Is that going to work? There might be a problem with the power.

If not, I can use the CME-pro "WIDI Master" with the keytar's MIDI out. This won't enable MIDI in to it, just MIDI out.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't own a RK100S but it is very much based on the mkXL(+), which I do have.

The USB implementation is MIDI In/Out only. No audio.
But the USB interface is not standard class compliant (As most if not all Korg products are not). You need a dedicated Korg USB driver in order to have it working properly. Which bascially means that you can only use the USB port using a PC.

The USB MIDI In data is not forwarded to the DIN MIDI Out port AFAIK.

Too bad for your intentions with thsi piece of gear I'm afraid...
Only your last option, MIDI Out to a WIDI Master might work. There might be a problem with the power.
pjnoxon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that the WIDI master works when attached to the RK-100S II MIDI out

I have it sending Bluetooth MIDI to a WIDI Jack on my Roland SE-02

It seems like the MIDI Implementation Chart indicates a plethora of MIDI commands that the RK-100S II will receive but only from the USB, so
I still have some hope that the CME-Pro U-Host might work on the USB.

I think the RK-100S II USB port might expect to receive power? Nope I plugged the USB cable into my laptop and took out the batteries and the keytar does not turn on.

The MIDI Implementation Chart indicates the Bank Select message is used, but there is no clarification on how it is used. Since the keytar has 200 programs, the Bank Select must be used. Does anyone know, are there two banks of 100 patches each, or one bank of 128 and a second bank of 72 patches?

Another problem with all the connections on the right end of the keytar is the strap button puts the strap in the way of everything on the right end.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Good that your WIDI is working fine.

The USB port can indeed not be used to deliver power to the device. You need to use a 9V power supply or batteries.

I believe indeed that the MIDI Rx implementation is quite extensive but unfortunately all over USB Sad. I would not bet on the CME-Pro U-host being able to communicate with the keytar, but it's worth giving it a try.

Concerning the program selection, refer to the other post you did.

All in all IMHO, the concept of this keytar is to use the sounds in the device as such (and prepare and preload them using a PC over USB) or just control an external synth via MIDI DIN Out.

For the more advanced and adventurous thinkering people amongst us, the MIDI DIN In is maybe somewhere existing on the main board but simply not brought out, but functional after a mod. Unfortunately I did not find back a service manual with schematics.

Bye
slynk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjnoxon wrote:
I found that the WIDI master works when attached to the RK-100S II MIDI out.

Thank you for posting this. I was looking at buying the same thing but I wasn't sure if the MIDI Out port on the RK-100S II would power the WIDI Master. I looked through the manual and even tried testing the port with a multimeter to get a voltage reading. I couldn't figure it out.

It sounds like the MIDI Out port does provide power.
pjnoxon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the MIDI out port working with WIDI Master is just about the only positive thing I can say about Korg products so far...

The notion by OpAmp that the internal PCB has a MIDI in somehow, that's pretty far fetched. I am an authorized Yamaha repair tech with years of repair experience but my interactions with Korg/Marshall have not been too frequent over the years. I believe that perhaps the internal sound generator has a lot of promise but I can't even get the editor program to work! It would be kind of a waste to just use the RK100S II as a controller only - I already bought many accessories with the thought that I could do more.

What is the matter with Korg anyway?
pjnoxon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been communicating back and forth with Korg without success about the MIDI driver for the current Windows 10 Home OS. It simply does not work.

This is the very first Korg product I ever bought, and right now after several months the experience has been very bad!

Anyone who is thinking about buying a Korg product and expects to be able to use the editor program to make the instrument useful should be warned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: