Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Yamaha Montage leaked
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shefu wrote:
Yamaha been doing the bare minimum for a decade now.

At least the new Montage replacement actually seems to be entirely a step up from the old one, whereas the Kronos replacement was, in some significant ways, a step down from the old one (partially corrected with the re-introduction of aftertouch).

dfahrner wrote:
Asena wrote:

It cant be so hard to have PAT on all of them.

Poly aftertouch is not that hard - it's just that another sensor is needed under each key, with supporting hardware to read each sensor, and the additional software development time and expense to integrate and test it alongside everything else in the package (modern synths probably already have enough raw computing power)...multiply the cost of this by the number of keys (!), multiplied by distribution / retail markups, and that's probably why manufacturers are not including a feature in new machines that not many customers have used or even tried out...

Some other evidence that it's not easy to do is that, even with simple channel aftertouch, it is not always done well, as witnessed by how many people have complained about how bad the aftertouch implementation is in various boards.

Everything always seems easy until you're the one who has to figure out how to do it.
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/AxYtmjPsJvw?si=PbwbN2D1_R0kWv-f

https://youtu.be/Pnf5-4tBFzQ?si=SZdEWHh-EfyVdcPZ

https://yamahasynth.com/learn/montage-m/blake-s-take-introducing-montage-m

https://youtu.be/6WGAefKb7V0?si=upIaatddexkRwwGX

Last edited by D575 on Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:32 am; edited 2 times in total
shefu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not gonna lie, it sounds really really good. It's not just a repackaged Montage to my surprise and I'm guessing many others.

Probably the most feature packed synth in a while!
KJandKT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really nice release! It really is feature-packed. I have a Motif XS6 which I love but wow this is on a whole other plane. I also had the original Montage in the recording studios at a university I taught at - this is definitely a huge step up from that. I'm sure Korg will answer with something great; hopefully something that is even more incredible than the Kronos. There's lots of things that can be done including improving the sequencer, perhaps merging the PA-5x arranger and Kronos into one super keyboard - letting the user only concentrate on the area that they want (arranger, synth, or combo) in a clean way that doesn't detract at all, a new modeling engine that could actually model to the quality of something like IK Modo, pianoteq, Yamaha's unfortunately dropped VL technology.

This year might shape up to be something special in synth-land!
Synthmaestro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't mind that only the 88 keys polyphonic after touch, normally the most expensive product has increased functionality or better specs, look at iPhones for example. It is a way for them to sell more of the expensive units and make more profit.

The main screen is smaller than expected, I never understood why companies don't do what the OASYS did with it's screen. I would love to see more additional screens on synths and better navigation. One of the main reasons I haven't gotten a Nord is actually I would rather more screens and less buttons. I think Yamaha will lead the way with polyphonic after touch and additional screens.

Korg has rehashed the same sounds for years now so really they have to do something pretty spectacular to make me purchase another Korg workstation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: