Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Distortion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mersip

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:38 pm    Post subject: Distortion Reply with quote

HI all,

On the FB page for Keyboards Players in Cover Bands, one of the contributors says he's having a problem with distortion on some timbres and is wanting to work out what the problem is.

I have had this happen to me, and normally use a process of elimination and random parameter changes to try and remove it.

The replies were pretty helpful in terms of looking at the various meters the Kronos has to work out what is driving the peak / distortion. But there were two replies which intrigued me.

I rely almost entirely on Combi's, often using Karma Scenes. One of the replies suggested it was better to work in SEQ mode. Why is this?

Secondly, another suggestion was to use the PC Kronos editor. Again, has anyone found this to be better? I don't understand how you can hear what you're programming, or better identify the cause of the peaking.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Kronos2 73 and TR-76
Theramin
PreSonus StudioLive AR16 mixer
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distortion has nothing to do with the mode, it's simply in the parameters of a given program. Also, not all programs are of equal quality, with some obviously done quickly and not as good as others. Distortion can come from the amplitude section, filter, how the controls affect other parameters, effects settings, etc.

About the Kronos Editor, it is useful to work on programs more comfortably from a computer screen. One of its config options is called Play After Edit, so as soon as you change something you will hear what you have just done.

Finally, one great freeware I use to find out quickly about the assigned AMS and controls is TidyKronos.
Mersip

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KK. I didn't know of TidyKronos so I'll give that a go.

Sorry fo the dumb question, but when you're using the Editor, do you have the PC connected to Kronos? I presume this is why it is able to play after editing.

Kronos2 73 and TR-76
Theramin
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. Indeed, to hear the changes, the Kronos and PC must be communicating. Another great freeware to edit Kronos AL-1 and Polysix programs using a PC is Chrutil's AL-1 editor.

Also, as another example one of the stock Kronos programs for reverse piano is very badly done. With the TidyKronos freeware, you can quickly find out that Knob 5 in that program is assigned to a compressor effect which creates an annoyingly loud volume increase.
pete.m

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of an obvious point, but is it possible that it's not the Kronos causing the distortion, but whatever the player having the problem is putting it through - the PA or a mixer, for example?

I'm sure he'll have eliminated that possibility, and I take KK's point about amplitude etc, but I'm mentioning it because I've never known the Kronos itself to distort.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The output mute circuit, which is there to stop speaker thump on power up, has been known to cause distortion, and can affect all of the analogue outputs, including headphone out. See e.g. here:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=100617&start=25

To see the full thread, use this link:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=100617

Mersip

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete.m wrote:
Kind of an obvious point, but is it possible that it's not the Kronos causing the distortion, but whatever the player having the problem is putting it through - the PA or a mixer, for example?

I'm sure he'll have eliminated that possibility, and I take KK's point about amplitude etc, but I'm mentioning it because I've never known the Kronos itself to distort.

It's definitely something I've experienced in the Kronos. Sometimes there are too many Voices, other times the input of the Timbre is too high, sometimes it's the IFX, and sometimes I have no idea! Very Happy

Kronos2 73 and TR-76
Theramin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: