Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unwanted Low Pass Filter on Percussion after Playing MIDI Fi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basspig

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:51 am    Post subject: Unwanted Low Pass Filter on Percussion after Playing MIDI Fi Reply with quote

I ran into a real mystery problem this evening. Ever since I played a 3 track Jazz trio project from Cakewalk, my drums sound like all the sound is coming through the woofer only. I can't hear the cymbals and snares sound muffled. It sounds much like one put a pillow over the speakers.

I was able to record a few seconds of this sound problem. I recorded a few seconds when the Pa5X was operating normally (before) and a few seconds when it got into this weird state after playing the 3 track Jazz project. (after)

I looked over the EQs, finalizer and track FX and there's nothing on there that would cut off all the mids and highs. The only way I could correct the problem is to power cycle the Pa5X. Then the very next time I play the 3 track project, it muffles the percussion channel again.

The three track project has no system exclusive, nor any controller data. It is pure note on/ off data only. So I don't understand why playing this file poisons the Pa5X to the point where the sound is unlistenable.

Where else, besides the EQ and Finalizer should I look for a low pass filter effect?
How can I reset the audio system of the Pa5X without power cycling it?

Here are the two sound clips.. one directly after restarting the Pa5X and one after briefly loading the three track jazz project and then going back to the KOR project. Note the vast difference in sound!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eXcHHNtiQ6RY8ORdwQ-27Zopu_R5aUx1/view?usp=drive_link
Basspig

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those hesitant to download a zip file, I've put it in a video on youtube:

https://youtu.be/LsgpHhGoCU8
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

was that hickup due to the video editor or did you send a sysex code with new settings to the pa5x?

Most likely it's:

- a CC74 send to channel 11 or a sysex code that changes the cutoff on channel 11.

you can check that quite easily once you have this behavior:
- select channel 11
- press the menu button
- select track control
- select sound edit

now problably the cutoff is set to the left for that sound

another possibility is that the midi file sends an nprn value of;

CC 99: 20 (drum cutoff)
CC 98: <drum>
CC 06: settings value of the cutoff

or a general cutoff nrpn on channel 11 of:
CC 99: 1
CC 98: 32
CC 06: settings value of the cutoff

So to me it sounds like a downloaded midi file where the sysex code or NRPN code is entered in the midi file. So just check the codes in your midi file
Basspig

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find! It is the Filter Cutoff that keeps changing to -64 when I start playback of the Cakewalk project.

The question is, how is it happening when there are no sysex or controllers other than 64 (sustain) in the entire file?

I can only surmise there is some sort of data corruption in the project file that is causing erroneous data to be sent that is not intended or in the track data.

Cakewalk warns if there's sysex data when a file loads and gives option to load or ignore, but it doesn't with this file, since there is none.

But I'm glad you were able to pinpoint it.

I had found a workaround which was to load a style, start and stop the player and it's back to normal. But this is even better knowing.

UPDATE:

It is definitely file corruption. I copied the events in all tracks to a new file and saved it and it no longer changes the filter cutoff when I play it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: