Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I Control Track EQ Via MIDI?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basspig

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:25 am    Post subject: Can I Control Track EQ Via MIDI? Reply with quote

Rather that go through setting up the EQ for each track when I am about to play out from Cakewalk, I am wondering if it is possible to send controller data from within the Cakewalk MIDI project to do this automatically?

Page 1631 of the manual seems to hint at this, but doesn't mention how to do this or what the numbers should be. There's a footnote about NPRN, but no specifics.

Let's say I want to turn down the HF and MF EQ to -10 on channel 12, which has a kick drum on it. What controller number or other data would I need to enter in the beginning of the track?
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the nrpn list is on page 578, but it doesn't list the numbers for the EQ, they mention it on the note on page 1631, so probably you can do it, but the list in the pa5x manual looks the same as the list from the pa4x, so if you really want to do this, then you have to sweep through the values to see which ones control the track eq
Basspig

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the thought that maybe I could start Cakewalk recording MIDI and then change the EQ controls on the Pa5X and see if the changes transmitted over MIDI. Worth a try?

Thanks for that NPRN list. I was unable to find it with a simple search.
Unfortunately, there is nothing mentioned about track EQ on that list.

Also, I tried changing from NPRNs to controller numbers, but thePa5X wouldn't respond with the amber light at the bottom of the track when sent. NPRN sent would make the amber indicator flash, but CC98 and 99 would not.
Basspig

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:50 pm    Post subject: MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH! Reply with quote

I tried recording with Cakewalk while adjusting the EQ controls on the Pa5X track 10.

Here's what was recorded:

A bunch of channel 6 NPRN 388 and 389 I turned the pots for HF and MF to -7, one at a time. And I got values started at 8064, ending at 6400 for each.

When I played the Cakewalk project, initially nothing happened until I changed the track channel from 1 to 10. Then when the two events played, the pots in the Pa5X rotated to -7, first the HF then the MF, just as I had manually turned them during recording.

So this is a way to find the "mystery" NPRNs--by recording them to the DAW first and then setting appropriate channel.
Basspig

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, this trick does not work with setting Master FX (no data recorded) or loading MIDI file so that mixer can display 16 MIDI channels. In the latter case, a few lines of sysex data are recorded, but when I play them back out, the style does not change to a MIDI file. So I still have to do these two things manually before playing out from Cakewalk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: