Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many Splits?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultrasteve

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 2:23 pm    Post subject: How many Splits? Reply with quote

I've searched this site, but cannot seemingly find the answer. How many splits can I do within one combination?

More to the point: I want to split several different combis, not a combi and a program.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one Combi can be played at any one time so, to truly be able to play several different Combis simultaneously would need several Nautili.

It's possible to set up to 16 split zones in a single Combi i.e. one zone for each Program in that Combi, so that's an average of 5.5 keys per zone for an 88 key Nautilus. Doesn't sound very playable.

If it's really necessary to have a setup with several Combi sounds split across the keyboard on a single Nautilus, then one solution would be to Sample each Combi of interest around the intended note range, and then to use those Samples to create new Programs, which are then incorporated into a new "Super Combi" and subsequently zoned across the keyboard, as needed.

Dan Stesco
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately manny splits will not help you. As I understand from your mail you need the chords on a key. We have this option on Kronos but is not available in Nautilus. Is work if the chords are prepared in Kronos and import the Combi in Nautilus. Will try and will let you know.
Maybe other way could be RPPR in seq or sampled the chords as Voip said.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Stesco wrote:
Unfortunately manny splits will not help you. As I understand from your mail you need the chords on a key. We have this option on Kronos but is not available in Nautilus.

I didn't see the mail so this may not be relevant, but you should be able to put chords on a Nautilus' keys by putting the same program on multiple timbres in a combi, at different pitches, no? For example, load three timbres with the identical program into parts 1/2/3, transpose #2 up 4 semitones (a major third), transpose #3 up 7 semitones (a fifth), assign the same key range to the three parts, and you'd have a section of the keyboard where each note you play would give you a major chord. With many programs, you could also tune the individual oscillators to different pitches, so you could (for example) put 4-note chords under the keys using just 2 parts. With 16 parts available, you could create up to 8 such zones, where each zone would have a different kind of chord (or 4 4-note-chord zones if you don't use the individual oscillator tuning approach).

But I was wondering what you could do in this respect on Kronos that you could not do on Nautilus. My first thought was maybe to somehow use KARMA, but you can't bring KARMA program from Kronos to Nautilus.

Back to the original question...

ultrasteve wrote:
How many splits can I do within one combination?
voip wrote:
It's possible to set up to 16 split zones in a single Combi ...so that's an average of 5.5 keys per zone for an 88 key Nautilus. Doesn't sound very playable.

True, but I suppose one might want a bunch of very small zones for special effects and such, leaving one decent-sized zone somewhere for actual playing. Of course, more practically, where the 16 zones comes into play more is not strictly splits, but in combinations of splits and layers. (Though also, your idea of resampling might sometimes be useful too.)

ultrasteve wrote:
More to the point: I want to split several different combis, not a combi and a program.

Picking up from what's already been said... Essentially, a Program is a single sound, and a Combi is a combination of (up to) 16 Programs. Combining two Combis could theoretically be asking the board to play up to 32 Programs, which is beyond its capabilities (as well as any aspect of its interface).

BUT... what if you wanted to split two combis, and each combi had, for example, 8 enabled Programs in it? You could create a new Combi that has all 8 Programs from Combi A as well as all 8 Programs from Combi B, splittable however you'd like (albeit with some possible effects limitations). Or you could combine 3 or 4 or 5 or more combis... as long as the total of all the individual parts you want to combine does not exceed 16. The hassle here is that--at least on Kronos--Korg did not build in a function to copy timbres from one combi to another. Instead, you have to look at the timbre in one Combi and recreate it from scratch in the other. However, in may be no more complicated than making note of the Program number you want moved from one Combi onto another, and specifying the same Program number in an unused timbre (part) of the "mega-combi" you are creating. (Again, you also have to be cognizant of running out of effects resources.)

Finally, there may be a more efficient way to do this. Check out the thread at http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=72819&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 (be sure to read it to the end).
Dan Stesco
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:

But I was wondering what you could do in this respect on Kronos that you could not do on Nautilus. My first thought was maybe to somehow use KARMA, but you can't bring KARMA program from Kronos to Nautilus.

Kronos Combi > Timbre Parameter>OSC>Chord Source Pad. Is ability to add the chord on a Timbre from PAD in Kronos. Not available in Nautilus but if the Combi is already made in Kronos work in Nautilus too. Unfortunately can't be edit in Nautilus.
ultrasteve

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dan for saving the day for me....again!

This is what I just sent to 4 KORG e-mail addys I found:

5-29-24

I don’t know who needs to see this, but I have been a Nautilus owner for a couple of years now. I am primarily a guitar player, but I also plays keyboard parts in the local cover band we have. I am 65 years old and have been playing since I was a teenager. When it comes to the technical side of keyboards, I could be just north of being a Dolt. Lots of aspects involving programming or even general use of the Nautilus are foreign to me. I don’t even know what most acronyms stand for. This device has been a headache for me at times without knowledge of what this unit can do, and/or how to get there.

BUT,

You folks have a solution for me.

I inadvertently found a man who has been a Godsend for me. He has helped me several times. Even with the time zone differential, he has made things work. I hope you folks know what an asset you have in him, and likely others just like him.

Please recognize Dan Stesco as a super talented, patient and wise member of your support team.

BTW, I love the Nautilus……..especially after encountering my hero Dan!

Steve
ultrasteve

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should use the preview window.......I don't plays keyboards. I play keyboards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: