Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg's microKorg editor/librarian now available on Mac OS X
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: starting from scratch Reply with quote

I've got a 1.8GHz Intel Mac Mini and M-Audio's "Uno" MIDI interface, and am just now trying to learn how the microKORG synth functions (I bought it a couple of years ago after only having experience about 15 or 20 years ago playing piano and writing a few songs with a Yamaha PSR-90 with a built in Ram-tape multitrack recorder, just using preprogrammed or sometimes programming rhythms and almost exclusively using the "Strings" orchestra voice, including when I got together one time and wrote some songs nearly 20 years ago with a friend who played acoustic guitar, with him coming up with some strumming techniques, but with me mainly telling him what chords to play, plus writing lyrics and singing- making a laughable, nowhere near professional attempt at recording it all live into a boom box with a built-in mic tape recorder, playing and singing a couple of feet in front of it. So a couple of years ago in deciding I wanted to get back into writing/recording music, I bought the microKORG on the heels of its great reviews and inexpensive price, being a complete beginner to playing a real synth, and having no experience in software music making/recording, or even any experience at all making music in nearly 20 years. I played around a bit with the microKORG, and tried to get through some of its manual without much success, but nevertheless bought iLife '06 and the "Uno" MIDI controller (which I eventually figured I could hook up to my old Yamaha to use it as a keyboard software controller through MIDI) and bought the proper outs to go iinto my mic input to record my microKORG. I never did much of anything with my GarageBand 3.0 ('06) and quickly lost heart in trying to write on the microKORG not just because of its programming complexity, though that was a factor, but also because I couldn't even remember any decent chord progressions, save for one simple one, which got old real fast. I never tried the Yamaha as a GarageBand MIDI controller, but DID get the Korg working that way, till I found out I needed a cable to go from the "audio out" to my Mac's "mic in" cables to record it- rather than simply act as a controller for the software- but never really learning to use GarageBand (I DID buy a DVD from Amazon made by Digital Music Doctor called "GarageBand 3: Know it All!" but never even got around to watching it), I could never hear any sound from the computer when trying to record the Korg (I've since researched it on bulletin boards and finally Apple's support site and figured I may have neglected to turn the monitor on for the track while recording it, but at the time that simple inability to record and layer tracks using the incredible sounds I heard from the microKORG as my source, which made the GarageBand instruments pale in comparison, it just stopped me dead in my tracks and I gave up till now. Still, I've now made the decision to try it all again, but this time wanting at least to learn to play piano a well enough to put some decent chord progressions/melodies together through inexpensive instructional software I just ordered on DVD from newegg.com called "Alfred's Teach Yourself to Play Piano", and thinking if I could get through a fair amount of that I may augment it with eMedia's "Beginner Piano and Keyboard Lessons", plus I am still running OS X 10.4.11 "Tiger" and plan to upgrade at some point after "Snow Leopard" is released in September, which will include copies of iWork and iLife '09 with the latest version of GarageBand, which has "Learn to Play" programs that integrate with it now, which I can also learn from. Any ideas on CD- or DVD-ROMS that could help me learn the microzkorg functions. including using the software librarian/editor for Mac OS X- I haven't a clue where to even begin with it?
TracyE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having same "no response" problem. All other MIDI functions work, but I can not get this editor to do anything.
xtx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TracyE wrote:
Having same "no response" problem. All other MIDI functions work, but I can not get this editor to do anything.

I haven't even looked to working with the Editor yet, I still am unable to record sound from the MicroKorg in GarageBand, only getting it to work as a MIDI controller for GarageBand instruments- but would appreciate any advice that anyone has on being able to do either thing.
TracyE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic is about the editor. You should post elsewhere for help with that. But your problem sounds simple. Just connect your audio out from MicroKorg to your Mac audio in.
Synthesizem

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Writing a patch on XL Reply with quote

I can't figure this one out. Is there a way to save a patch I made on the Microkrog XL's sound editor in a folder on my hard-drive, I am trying to avoid re-writing the factory presets and would like to have a separate folder for my patches... can't figure this out! Help!

Thanks!
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Writing a patch on XL Reply with quote

Synthesizem wrote:
I can't figure this one out. Is there a way to save a patch I made on the Microkrog XL's sound editor in a folder on my hard-drive, I am trying to avoid re-writing the factory presets and would like to have a separate folder for my patches... can't figure this out! Help!

Thanks!

Right-click the program name. Select "Save..." and pick a folder.
ibt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the microKONTROL Editor Librarian 2.0.0 software was left in it's PowerPC form. Not fixed for Intel. That's why it won't work. Useless.

'Support' indeed.
Humanlike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if Korg has any plans on making the editor compatible with intel macs?
gennargiu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://korg.com/microKORG

microKORG Sound Editor V1.0.2

MAC:Software:microKORGMac1_0_2.dmg

microKORG Sound Editor V1.0.2
This is version 1.0.2. of microKORG Sound Editor. This software is Intel-Mac and OS 10.7 (Lion) compatible. This software requires that your Mac be running 10.6.8 or newer. For earlier Mac operating systems, please use microKORG Sound Editor 1.01.
BOF

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems this editor doesn't work with current Mac OS (Catalina 10.15.2)

Looks like the latest version of the editor (2.00) was released in 2016... Any word on plans for an update? This synth is currently being sold new by retailers (at least the S version) and deserves Korg's support
atiredmachine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very surprised KORG doesn't support working software for current OSes for a product that is clearly a cash cow for them. It's nearly two years since MacOS updated to Catalina.

In the meantime, if you just want to backup/transfer patches, you can use SysEx Librarian, which is free:
https://www.snoize.com/sysexlibrarian/

And Googling around, I just found some 3rd-party software that you can use to edit patches:
https://coffeeshopped.com/patch-base/editor/korg/microkorg

I have custom patch banks (retro, vintage, lo-fi) available for:
microKORG - microKORG XL - minilogue - minilogue xd - monologue - MicroFreak
tonidude

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOF wrote:
Seems this editor doesn't work with current Mac OS (Catalina 10.15.2)

Looks like the latest version of the editor (2.00) was released in 2016... Any word on plans for an update? This synth is currently being sold new by retailers (at least the S version) and deserves Korg's support

Oh man this is incredible. I thought about buying a new Microkorg S or XL but it seems the products being marketed to consumers are indeed not supported. I've been a Korg fan but this just isn't right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: