Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg RADIAS or AccessVirus TI...?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
themusicman2001
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Korg RADIAS or AccessVirus TI...? Reply with quote

Ok, now there's a difficult question - and one I hope I can get some pointers on from folks here.

I was chatting to Daz yesterday, and after seeing them on here I mentioned I was considering purchasing a Radias as my next toy, he gave me some great info but also mentioned the Access Virus TI - so I duley got a surfin' round for the latest sound demos, online videos etc and found loads.

I am actually in London tomorrow and have arranged a demo of the Virus TI in Turnkey sometime during the afternoon, unfortunately they don't have a Radias for me to compare to - so I am after the views and opinions of folk here as to what your thoughts are.

Please do excuse my ignorance - but are they radically different synths...? are they easy to use 'out-of-the-box' as it were (so I can reverse engineer a learning curve)...? which has the best suite of functions and patches...? which is the best vocoder...? the easiest arppegiator to use...?

After listening to the superb sounds and effects on both machines in their various online demos - I think I would consider the Virus just a tad superior - am I right with that thought, given my limited knowledge and inexperience of both machines...?

I have a Karma and though I love that burgundy baby, but I have increasingly found myself tweaking the actual sounds and effects - and hence want to play and create my own, hence the desire for one of these machines.

So - please enlilghten me... thanks all.

John
master logic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the money i'd go for the Virus; i've got one running along side my Oasys & it's incredible. personally i think the Radias sounds a bit cheesy, a little bit harsh & a bit too retro, in comparison (to my ears) the Virus sounds fat & warm, it can sound classic but at the same time totally fresh & cutting edge. i don't want to seem rude but i've always felt that Korg products aimed at dance music, house, techno, electronic, etc, etc try to "sound" like analog but you don't actually "feel" it when you hear it. I'm not even totally convinced by the AL1 engine within the Oasys & that's why i bought the virus.
master logic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what? forget what i said in the post above, i've spent my afternoon at work (pretending to work) listening to lots of Radias demos & i have to say that i was totally wrong about the Radias. I don't regret buying the Virus at all but sound wise the Radais is amazing. Hmmmm....wondering if my girlfriend would notice a new additional to my setup.
MarkF786

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One comment I would add is if you are considering the Virus, unless you want to use the "Total Integration" features to integrate the synth into your computer-based DAW, you might consider buying a used Virus C. In terms of the synth engine, the Virus TI offers very few improvements. Also, the TI seems to still be suffering from many bugs based on the Virus forums I've read. Finally, a used Virus C is less than half the price of the TI.

I owned a Virus C and was very happy with the sound. Sadly, I sold it to fund the purchase of an Oasys, but now I've been considering buying another.

Good luck!

Mark
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but are they radically different synths...?

They are not radically different from one another in the grand scheme of things; both are modern VA (Virtual Analogue) synths that provide great emulation of analog synths of yore whilst mixing in a bunch of new digital concepts to provide more tonal variety. Zooming in from the grand scheme of things to the very specific world of VA's, then the differences start to look a little more radical. There is a major difference in price with the street price of the Virus being pretty much double that of the Radias and the specs reflect that. The Radias is 4 part multi-timbral, the Virus is 16 part multi-timbral ... the Radias has 24 note max poly, whilst the Virus is more like 80+ note poly max. The Radias has 4 analog unbalanced outputs whilst the Virus has 6 balanced outs and also has a S/PDIF digital I/O.

Aside from the specs, the synthesis architecture of the two instruments is quite different too. Each Radias timbre has 2 oscillators, one of which is more capable than the other. In contrast the Virus has 3 oscillators and a sub oscillator, and the two main oscillators are both equally capable. This difference alone means that a Virus timbre can be quite a lot more complex than a Radias timbre. Similar differences in other parts of the synthesis architecture, such as the modulation routing arrangements make the Virus a more flexible/complex synth on balance (there are some things on the Radias such as have 3 EG's or being able to edit each vocoder band that are more flexible than the Virus)

BUT ! .... all this is just so much tech blurbage Wink These are musical instruments, creative tools, the comparisons should not just be about specs and architecture but also more intangible things like fun and inspiration Smile The Radias, IMO, is just great fun and so creative to use ... all it's unique features such as the step seqs, mod seqs, the formant playback etc. are just great for hands on creativity.

Sonically both synths sound great ... but have quite different characters, which comes across very clearly in the presets for both. The concensus is that the Virus has a darker fuller character and the Radias a brighter sound. The Virus TI I think has a brighter sound than it's predecessors and the Radias is fuller sounding than other Korg synths like the MS2000 or Triton/MOSS. This difference makes both pieces quite complimentary to each other. It's important that you listen to both and find out which character suits your taste, that's as important as looking at the specification and price differences, as you can imagine.

Quote:
are they easy to use 'out-of-the-box' as it were (so I can reverse engineer a learning curve)...?

They are both easy to use, IMHO. The Virus TI user interface is much improved over my old Virus B and I would say the Radias and the TI are equally easy to operate. Bear in mind that I previously owned a Korg MS2000 and a Virus B ... so I already understood both companies thinking before coming to these new pieces, but hopefully my opinion is still quite objective.

Quote:
which has the best suite of functions and patches...?

I am not really sure what you mean by suite of functions. The Virus TI includes a massive factory sound set, which I think is very good. The Radias factory sounds are fewer, but of the very highest quality. The Virus factory material is primarily individual programs that you can use to create your own 16 part ensembles for the piece you are working on. The Radias factory material contains more pre-fabricated multi-part musical moments, like the Combi's of the Triton or Karma. Personally I prefer the Virus approach, but I know many other prefer the Korg approach.

Quote:
which is the best vocoder...?

Technically the Virus, it's 32 band IIRC, versus the 16 bands of the Radias. However the Radias one is far easier to use (the controls are clearly labelled on the front panel, unlike the Virus) and you can edit the individual bands for more control over the produce sound. The Radias vocoder also include the formant recording/playback feature, demonstrated in the many vids from earlier in the year. I prefer the Radias one.

Quote:
the easiest arppegiator to use...?

They are both equally straight forward to use. The Radias arp pattern can be edited on the front panel, the Virus arp pattern can only be edited using the Virus Control software.

Quote:
After listening to the superb sounds and effects on both machines in their various online demos - I think I would consider the Virus just a tad superior - am I right with that thought, given my limited knowledge and inexperience of both machines...?

Yes, I think so. So it should be ! Access are totally focussed on this product alone and the piece is quite a bit more expensive. It's pretty amazing that the Radias is mentioned in the same breath as the Virus, which has become quite a legend.

One final thing for now ... the only yucky thing about the TI is the "TI" bit. You can use the TI totally standalone or integrate it with your DAW using the "TI" (Total Integration) stuff. I feel that side of it was a little too ambitious and thus it's not quite as dreamy to use as the Access website suggests. They are making a lot of improvements to the technology, but for now I prefer the rather more old school approach taken with the Radias editing software. It doesn't offer fancy integration, but it totally works and is rock solid.

I hope this added some useful information into the pot ... I am more than happy to answer specific questions or get into details about stuff I've been very general about.

Daz.
themusicman2001
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW - excellent info there Daz, thanks for this, very much appreciated.

Update from Access demo in Turnkey London
In a nutshell to be honest - not so interested in this now. Although the chap who helped me was extremely pleasant and helpful, I was expecting to have a demo of what can be done on this machine. Given that I know next to nothing about synthesis and this specific machine, letting me loose on it was not something that was ever going to produce sweeping symphonic soundscapes now was it!!!

I had a play for 30 mins, and will admit to being impressed with the controls and functions available right in front of me, but I couldn't get any polyphony, no fully gated sweeping pads, none of the lush sounds I read are available out of the box!

So, I am now arraning a demo of a Korg Radias with DigitalV - but for this I have to go all the way to Birmingham as the Bristol shop is having a bit of a facelift apparantly. A long way to go, does anyone know of anything closer to Newport...? (Simon??)

Cheers - more when I get it.
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John, what kind of music are you into?

Manuel Schleis is a bit of a wizkid at the ol' Virus, particularly - well almost exclusively - towards dance stuff, so if that interests you there are more audio demos from the Virus here (the audio demo for his free Virus TI factory bank is on the top):-

http://www.vengeance-sound.de/eng/indexes/indexFreeSounds.html

I preferred his earlier Virus demos, though:

http://www.vengeance-sound.de/eng/indexes/indexSounds.html

What did you mean by the polyphony?, this is something the TI has lots of. - Access claim up to >80 voices of poly. The Radias has 24-voices in comparison I think.

I understand what you mean about the gated stuff. The Virus's customisable arpeggiator can fake it to an extent, and so can the LFOs of course (a la Zoop).

The Radias looks extremely powerful in this respect as the two step-modulators look like they would be goldmines for gating various parameters and I simply can't wait to road-test one for this use. I absolutely love gated stuff.

A step-modulator seems to rank highly on people's wishlists for the Virus TI though, so the TI may or may not include this at some point in a possible future OS update, but this is mere speculation.

Last edited by Timo on Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
master logic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you make any final decisions, checked put all the complaints about the Virus T1 on the Access forum. I've just started to notice a few problems myself.

http://virusti.com/forum/

Last edited by master logic on Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
themusicman2001
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Timo

Hey - hope you are well... many thanks for this.

I love those demos actually and have come across them before, but I was unable to create anything like this today. It was obviously something I was or wasn't doing but all the sounds I heard today were bland, not multi-polyphonic - despite my turning on multi mode - and no gated arpps at all.

I really was hoping for more from the staff!
Khazul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can, then one day I would suggest you might end up with both.

I personally *much* prefer the sound of the Virus TI - its my main synth that I use the most. I have a Radias as well, but I rarely use it for the key sounds of a track, but because its alot brighter, then its an excellent compliment to the TI.

Both are very different IMHO, they can cover quite a bit of common ground, though in most of it, the virus to be is a much richer and smoother sounding synth.

The radias by comparison is I think a little on the thin side, though can get real dirty easily. High end on the radias is bright and clean (instead of bright and fizzy like a v-synth, jp80xx or the new SH-201).

Another other major difference I have found between the TI and the Radias is that the radias can very easily manage very punchy sounds - helped alot by its different envelope curve modes and having a compressor on board, so its much better than the TI for deep punchy bass sounds, but still nowhere near as brutal as a v-synth.

The vari-mode filter is nice, but you casn easily acheive the same kind of thing with the filter balance on the TI. The filters on the virus are possibly the most pleasent sounding and characterful of any digital synth with digital filters - they really are very good. Radias filter quite bland by comparison - actually every digital filter I have ever heard seems quite bland by comparison with the virus. The overdrive and waveshapers in the radias seems a little weak to me - nowhere near as rich and gutsey as roland COSM fx, or as soft as the distortion on a virus. On other FX - the Radias hs a great collection - all good, but all rather clean. The virus TI on the other hand has made its mark all over the place with its distinctive phaser. The rest of the fx in the virus are very characterful in-line with the rest of the virus and really gel nicely with the rest of the synth. The virus reverb is very good - as part of a virus, but it aint a reverb for any other kind of use unless you specific want its character.

On wavetable in the TI vs stuff that the Radias can do - Radias has a bunch of real instrument and drum type PCM sounds in it - this allows it to easily acheive much more convincing instruement and drum sounds. Using multiple timbres with SEQ mods, than you can make a passable wavelet pad type sounds as well. If you have ever used a novation KS series synth before - then you will be completely at home with the Radias - the two are actually very similar in many ways (except sound character). The wavetables on the TI on the other hand are aimed at unnatural harmonically rich sounds so it excels at wavelets pads and is capable of sounds with an allmost FM/additive like character to them if you exploit the table sweeps.

Apart from it sound character being hugely different to the virus (which is its main plus for me), the radias really scores with its multi-timbre and seq mods just allways being there. I find it an excellent and very inspiring synth for layering in when I'm just messing around with ideas. Its also a very easy synth to edit once you get used to Korg way of doing things (actually I think easier to edit on the hardware then the TI), but nowhere near as deep on the sysnthesis side as the TI, except perhaps that what osc1 on the radias can do all on its own is quite staggering to the point that most synths would require at least a couple of oscillators to be comparable.

On the polyphony side - I can easily max it out on both synths with a single part, and at the same time I can easily live with the poly capabilities of both - 80 sounds like a hell of alot on the TI until to crank up the unision to max for the most amazing rich and fat lead sounds and pile on the fx - by which time you poly can be as low as 4 or so. So as with all synths how limited you feel by the poly is largely done to how you want to use it. I will tend to hit poly limits on the TI much more - but thats simply because it is a machine that demands to be pushed - and I like that it does allow you to completely abuse its engine in this way.

Suggestion - if can afford it, like the sound and have other sound sources to easily make up other parts in tracks, then there is nothing to compare with a virus TI.

For something more general, then the Radias.

Both are good, both are very different in many ways - only your ears will tell you which is for you. I think the Virus is a synth that you are more likely to really really like, whereas the radias lacks the character to have that kind of impact, but is otherwise a very useful synth, and especially good as a second to a Virus.

--- The Studio & Noises ----- Adam G @ MySpace ---
themusicman2001
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some excellent information posted here folks, thanks a million.

One additional question: Is it really needed to purchase the full unit inc keyboard if one has an existing keyboard? I have a KARMA so will this do the exact same job as the RADIAS Keyboard?

I appreciate that a rack just sitting there with nothing else might not look as good as the full unit, but is that all?
Khazul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themusicman2001 wrote:
Some excellent information posted here folks, thanks a million.

One additional question: Is it really needed to purchase the full unit inc keyboard if one has an existing keyboard? I have a KARMA so will this do the exact same job as the RADIAS Keyboard?

I appreciate that a rack just sitting there with nothing else might not look as good as the full unit, but is that all?

I use a Virus TI keyboard to control the radias-r most of the time. Personaly I wasnt that bothered bout the radias keyboard - seems very expensive for what it is - you can buy better controllers for under 100UKP. The rack frame is nice - but 400UKP for that is a rip.

--- The Studio & Noises ----- Adam G @ MySpace ---
chordial
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Not that I know, but you could try:

Sound Control
5 Rupert Street
Bristol
Avon
BS1 2PY

Phone: 0117 9349955
Web: http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk

There are an oasys dealer, so I would imagine they could arrange for a Radias demo.

Cheers Simon
themusicman2001
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Simon - I will call them tomorrow, will let you all know.
themusicman2001
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup - they have one on show and I have arranged for a run through with either Zach or Mikey sometime tomorrow.

Thanks for the pointer...Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: