Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RADIAS tips and tricks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobborries

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: The AnalgTun feature Reply with quote

The AnalgTun feature only works on pitch, the S&H LFO can be applied to any modulatable destination. Such as Pan, Cutoff, PWM, Vibrato rate and PCM number.

I have the special privilege to own an analog Oberheim polyphonic synth and no matter how hard I try, I can't get all the voices perfectly in tune. All the filters and other parameters are slightly off and I think this definitely contributes to the classic sound.

Like a violin concerto each person playing is slightly off tune and the vibrato is at different rates, this makes the sound more human and natural. When everything is in perfect-tune it sounds cold and digital.

When each voice is panned in a different place, the sound opens up and sounds more analog, like my Oberheim. Not having random voice-card imperfections is one reason why so many digital synths that claim they sound analog fail.

Living in L.A.

Last edited by bobborries on Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
slammah2012

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: The AnalgTun feature Reply with quote

bobborries wrote:
The AnalgTun feature only works on pitch, the S&H LFO can be applied to any modulatable destination.

Yes.... you can make your digital radias sound more unstable than all of our great analog synths out there... and to a level that most analog owners would bear to let their beasts deteriorate to.....

But , its not the unstableness that gets you the great analog sound.....because the greatest sounding analogue synths have oscillators that are in tune and their filters are almost perfectly to spec.
Currently running, Hammond M3, Yamaha CS80 + MM6, Roland JX-3P + Mkb 1000 + Vk7 + D110, Alesis Quadrasynth plus, Haken Continuum fingerboard, Korg Radias + Lambda, Ensoniq SQ80, Waldorf Blofeld, Creamware Prodyssey + B4000, Use Audio Plugiator, Arp Axxe ....and some soft synths.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use the Mod Sequencer as a great 'status switch' or other kind of control for real-time performance.

For example, in one of the songs I do with the band, the Radias is running a pulse throughought the whole song. I'm too busy when it comes to the breakdown to lower the cutoff so precisely by only 4 or 5 steps, so instead I set up the following (as an example):

Mod Seq steps: 1
Mod Seq1: Filter1 Cutoff, step1 value: -5
Mod Seq2: Filter1 Reso, step1 value: +2

You can probably see how this could be used in other situations, as a switch to bring in any number of static transformations to the sound quickly and precisely without having to tweak a number of knobs.

In this example when the modseq is turned on, the effective cutoff is lowered and resonance raised, instantly. Turning off the modseq returns it to the original value.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
cibine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Second Drum Kit o_O..... Reply with quote

Second Drum Kit o_O.....

Idea

It is possible to assign one more "drumkit" to a timbre and use a Drum timbre at the same time. The additional drumkit uses Osc1, Drum PCM so it can only use the PCM samples.

The process is very simple, just Change the Osc1 waveform to Drum PCM (as mentioned above), and make a patch that assigns the Keyboard track to to OSC1Ctrl2 (Oscillator 1 control 2). You can just play with a positive Patch intensity value to get the drum sounds to spread accross the keyboard and voila! you got your self another drumkit to play with. (actually this gives you almost all the PCM drum kits that are in the radias in one timbre).

However there seems to be a bit of a problem with the Radias on this. There are 128 PCM drum samples and 97 accessible keys on the keyboard. And plus 2 other things: depending on your intensity and transpose settings. you will notice that the radias will reach a lower and upper note limit(?) - above or below which its goin to repeat the last octave ( i still don't quite get it so i cant explain it clearly).

______

Best Configuration so far:

This one will give you a (poly or mono) Timbre with 91 of the PCM drums ( from PCM 1 to 91) spread out on "almost" the entire physical keyboard and +- octaves :

1) Set OSC1 to DRUM PCM
2) Set OSC1 control 2 to WaveSel: 025 (SD- Syn3)
3) Set Patch 01 -> Source: Keytrack / Dest: OSC1Ctrl2
4) Set the intensity of the patch to: +14
5) Set the Keyboard transpose to: +24

6)(optional) : enjoy with some dual fresh filters and waveshaping

As you will notice after note G7 the drum sample will repeat from the previous octave. Something similar happens on reverse settings at the lower octave range. I ve tested with a DAW as well by sending midi notes to the Radias, but once you go over that "limit" the sounds repeat. Again if you transpose the keyboard to +48 lets say you ll notice that the sounds repeat over 3 octaves.Maybe the Radias is getting confused with its own pitch limit or something?

None the less this is a very interesting find. You can now process your drums through almost all the radias features!

I hope this helps

^_^
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Second Drum Kit o_O..... Reply with quote

cibine wrote:
Second Drum Kit o_O.....

Idea

It is possible to assign one more "drumkit" to a timbre and use a Drum timbre at the same time. The additional drumkit uses Osc1, Drum PCM so it can only use the PCM samples.

The process is very simple, just Change the Osc1 waveform to Drum PCM (as mentioned above), and make a patch that assigns the Keyboard track to to OSC1Ctrl2 (Oscillator 1 control 2). You can just play with a positive Patch intensity value to get the drum sounds to spread accross the keyboard and voila! you got your self another drumkit to play with. (actually this gives you almost all the PCM drum kits that are in the radias in one timbre).

However there seems to be a bit of a problem with the Radias on this. There are 128 PCM drum samples and 97 accessible keys on the keyboard. And plus 2 other things: depending on your intensity and transpose settings. you will notice that the radias will reach a lower and upper note limit(?) - above or below which its going to repeat the last octave (i still don't quite get it so i cant explain it clearly).

I was about to post this myself! It does have drawbacks because it doesn't offer different filtering and envelopes etc for the drums. but if you need a few simple PCM sounds in addition to a 16-part drumkit already loaded then it is really handy.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
cibine

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: radias: customising the footswitch Reply with quote

I have been playing around my new pedal and a footswitch and I ve noticed that the MIDI 1 controller in the Global preferences has the midi cc04 assigned to it. After looking in to the General MIDI CC table like this:
http://www.midi.org/techspecs/midimessages.php
it looks like cc04 is reserved for the foot controller.
As most people will have noticed, this connection allows the Foot Pedal (that has the unchangeable id of cc04) to be available in the V.patch as a controller Source. If in Global preferences you change the Midi 1 cc to something else other than cc04 then you "break" the connection with the Foot Pedal.

So with regards to the footswitch. The Fswitch is "hard wired" in midi as well to use cc82. Strangely enough Korg assigned Filter2 Keytrack to cc82 as well, meaning that when ever I enabled Fltr 2 the footswitch would change the Filter2 Keytrack, from -2 to +2.

So what you can do is to:
1) go to Global settings>p07> ParamName: Fil2KBdTr (Filter 2 keyboard track) and change the CtrlChg# to something like 078 (which is free). If you are controlling an effect with the footswitch and have filter 2 on then pressing the footswitch will no longer change the fltr2keytrack as well.

2) go to page 04 of the global settings and change the MIDI2 to #082. This will "link" the controller to the footswitch. So now, by select ing Midi2 as your modulation source in the V.Patch, you can have the footswitch turning things on/off .

note: obviously now you can also go to Global settings>p07> and assign the footswitch to parameters that are not available in the Vpatch

You just need to select the parameter i.e OSC1wave , and give it the ctrlChg# value of 082 for the footswitch and 04 for the footpedal. The only problem here is that the Fswitch will give you only to values min and max, on/off.

If you want to revert to the default cc value for the selected parameter, either note it down before you change it or go to page 151 in the manual and you ll find the default values.

^_^
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When using the Modulation Sequencer, Arpeggiator, or Step Sequencer in the Editor Librarian you can hold Ctrl on your keyboard and slide the values of each fader simultaneously instead of having to set each one individually. Useful if that graduated modulation doesn't start high or low enough, or if you would like to transpose a pitched sequence you programmed in the Mod Sequencer. Change velocity levels all at once in the Arp or Step.

Additionally, holding the Alt key before clicking a knob allows you to temporarily change your Knob Mode to Circular if your Preference Control is set to Linear, or to Linear if your Preference Control is set to Circular/Relative Circular.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When editing with the step sequencer in the editor/librarian software you can press the piano roll to preview your sequence. If the sequencer is off or not assigned to a timbre, you can click the keys on the piano roll to play a midi note just as you would on the Radias-KB.

Also, note that when transposing notes in the step sequencer with the arrows in the upper left corner of the graphic, only the notes showing in the display will shift when utilizing a linked 64-step sequence i.e. you will need to scroll all the way to the right and transpose the notes by the same amount to shift the entire sequence.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Unipolar LFO Reply with quote

I was doing this Virus tutorial on unipolar LFO's
http://www.vimeo.com/29727798
It would seem the only unipolar LFO available is the square+ waveform in LFO 2

After some tinkering I discovered it IS possible to make a unipolar LFO if you use two virtual patches.

First set an LFO to your destination with no intensity, then assign the same LFO to the intensity of the patch you just made. When you increase or decrease the intensity of the second patch, you will find the effect is unipolar on the first patch's intensity thus making the modulation + or - unipolar. Works with every LFO waveform.
Mutiny in Jonestown

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Legato vs Always On Portamento for Radias Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm using a Motif to control my Radias for mono lead sounds. My Motif understands something called 'Portamento Mode' but my Radias does not. 'Portamento Mode' = whether the portamento (aka glide) effect will occur between every note (note 1 played and released before note 2 is played) or just between notes played legato (note 1 held down while note 2 is played). This is an extremely important parameter to give character to your lead synth solo playing. Since our beloved Radias doesn't understand portamento mode, are we doomed to having portamento occur between each and every note played whether we want it or not? Luckily no!

I found something buried in the Korg M3 forum that works perfectly for Radias as well & I want to post here for anyone interested.

Here’s how to implement portamento mode on a Radias:

1) Set the voice for monophonic, single trigger mode, portamento=0
2) Setup envelope generator 3 for Attk=10/Decay=0/Sus=127/Rel=0
3) Modulate Portamento Time with envelope generator 3, choose an amount of modulation which equals the portamento time you want when playing legato

That’s it! And it works great...you now have exclusive legato portamento on a synth that doesn’t have exclusive legato portamento!

Here’s why it works:

“The way it works is that EG3 stays at its max value of 127 (sustain) when playing legato (because of the single trigger mode), but when releasing the key, EG3 quickly goes down to 0 (release), and takes a little while to get back up again when playing new notes (attack: 10). So when releaseing the key, the portamento that is controlled by EG3 stays on 0 for a little while so that there is no portamento. But when playing legato (overlapping notes), it stays on 127 and produces portamento.”

Credit for the how and why goes to rfoshaug from Norway on Korg forum thread: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=42873&sid=31f964f0207f05fbac38796e2a56bda5

Have fun!
Past: Moog Taurus Bass Pedals, Yamaha CP-20, DX-100, SY22, Hammond M2, Hohner D6 Clavinet, SCI Pro-One, Crumar Trilogy, Cat Octave, Roland JX-3P, D50, D20, D70, S10, AlphaJuno1, V-Synth, JD800, JP8000, C-80 Digital Harpsichord, Ensoniq Fizmo, Nord Modular, Waldorf Q, DSI PolyEvolver, Emu Vintage Keys, Crumar Trilogy
Bobcat22

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rfoshaug, your video is happening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQCDXRs3O7A - years later still be appreciated. What is that about?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: