Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg not really serious about being a software dev[macIntel]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  

should the user pay for a MacIntel update of KLC?
yes
31%
 31%  [ 7 ]
no
68%
 68%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 22

JazzyGB1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So what If I decided to buy a new mac because only that one will run the new version of my host that fixes a longstanding bug that prevents me from working???

That would be a problem with the host - not with Korg. If you have to change your computer for a non Korg reason, then how can it be anything to do with Korg?
If you changed your equipment, that's up to you - no-one made you do it.
If you want your fully working non dongled KLC back - get your old Mac back - simple as that.
By the way, having a dongle is one of the few things that helps software retain it's value, as it can't simply be installed, copied & then sold on.
EVERYTHING loses money. I paid nearly £2000 from my roland XP80 & it's expansion boards & it's worth about £400 now. Same losses in value can be attributed to my past gear like my Akai S5000, my Fostem DMT8 etc etc. By those standards your korg KLC has retained it's value quite well.
Also hardware versions of all the synths in the collection are available. If you have such a problem with a dongle or wiating for an update - there's your answer.
It'll cost a lot more than your KLC did, wont be anywhere near as flexible, , you'll need extra midi cables & audio leads, but I'm guessing you knew this already & that's why you bought KLC to begin with.
Whatever your opinions on my analogy, one thing is irrefutable - if you still had your PPC Mac - we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Respectfully

Geoff
max-pol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as the VP said in season two of the west wing "Josh, the total tonnage of things that I know and you don't could stun a team of oxen in its tracks".

my main music production machine, a dual 2.5 GHz G5 is very well, thanks for asking. Laughing
cnegrad
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
my main music production machine, a dual 2.5 GHz G5 is very well, thanks for asking

As is mine (a Dual 2.7 G5). I used five instances of the Wavestation today. Smokin'!! Thank you Korg; keep up the great work!

Our Jazz CD: The Deanna Jones Orchestra: "Very First Dance"
http://www.deannajones.com

Our Christian CD: Jacob's Journey: "A Feather In His Hand"
http://www.jacobsjourney.com
max-pol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the start, I'm making a point that is purely a discussion on business model and manufacturing responsibility.

the guys who built your XP80 commited spare parts to a storage place, to make sure your machine could be fixed for approx. 10 years (this is the industrial average for a lot of branches), so that you could have faith in your investment for an amount of time, even if your supporters poured beer over your kit at the end of the gig.
ok only a moderate amount, I suppose...

From the beginning I'm only saying, the rules of software vendors are different from the ones of hardware: once a software product is "out there", you gotta be behind it a minimum...
most super small software companies I know spend a lot of time supporting their clients, often one on one by phone or email, to the extent that the dev get to know a lot about the daily lives of their users. And those guys usually plan ahead to make sure that their users will be *supported* along the way throughout the technical changes that take place in the clients lives....

to an extent, of course. And once again I'm not saying Korg is a baddy here... especially now I have a better idea of the size of the dev team, and the extent of their responsibilities....

...I'm just saying, whomever thought clients could do without a crucial compatibility update for 10 months (14+ months since the original annoucement and 13 since they supplied dev. with pentium IV based work machines) got their understanding of the music software business seriously wrong...

but then again N.I. are caught in this too, and they are probably much worst off in terms of "spotlight"... so I guess this apparently innocuous change (products are PC compatible too, from the start, remember) was not really evaluated properly by a number of V.I. manufacturers...

DAW makers got it better.

enough... on to other things... thanks for listening.... sorry for the long posts....
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

max-pol wrote:
Strangely, though, the major DAW apps were updated AGES AGO. all of them.

I disagree with your statement. These are what I consider to be the "major DAW apps":
-- Sonar: WinXP only, so they lucked out
-- Logic: is an Apple product, so that doesn't count
-- Digital Performer: shipped UB (version 5.1) in August, 2006
-- Steinberg Cubase 4: Shipping in October, 2006 (is Cubase SX 3 UB compatible?)
-- Pro Tools HD: September, 2006?

There are also other companies who still have not delivered UB versions:
-- Native Instruments (new products are just now being released with UB support, existing apps due Oct-Dec)

Therefore, if Korg releases UB versions of their products in October, they will be "in line" with many other companies.

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

max-pol wrote:
...I'm just saying, whomever thought clients could do without a crucial compatibility update for 10 months (14+ months since the original annoucement and 13 since they supplied dev. with pentium IV based work machines) got their understanding of the music software business seriously wrong...

Given it has taken Apple most of 2006 to actually release Intel Mac based versions of all of their hardware, I don't think these Fall 2006 releases of music software are that delinquent. I would assume different applications have had different levels of migration difficulty.

A "client" should never migrate to a new platform until ALL applications they use have been released (i.e. actually released, not announced, or promissed).

A somewhat similar situation is ocurring in the PC world, where some people are buying 64-bit computers before the apps they want to run are available.

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just arrived in my Inbox :
Quote:

(1) Universal binary version of KORG Legacy Collection - DIGITAL EDITION
v1.2.1 for Intel-based Macs is now available

Korg is proud to announce the release of Version 1.2.1 of the Korg
Legacy Collection - DIGITAL EDITION, which is now available as a free
download at KORG USER NET.
This version supports Intel-based Macs.

go to www.korguser.net for more info.
max-pol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:
max-pol wrote:
Strangely, though, the major DAW apps were updated AGES AGO. all of them.

I disagree with your statement. These are what I consider to be the "major DAW apps":
-- Sonar: WinXP only, so they lucked out
-- Logic: is an Apple product, so that doesn't count
-- Digital Performer: shipped UB (version 5.1) in August, 2006
-- Steinberg Cubase 4: Shipping in October, 2006 (is Cubase SX 3 UB compatible?)
-- Pro Tools HD: September, 2006?
[...]

hi there,
I agree I was a bit fast in my assessment of when major DAWs shipped.
IMHO (and in my hard drive) the major DAWs are LIVE (an omission from your list, strangely), Logic (ok, apple product, pressure to deliver, etc.) and Digital Performer... I ommitted the ones I don't use... bad bad bad... sorry.

I mostly use LIVE now, so I got up and running on my laptop five months ago. So far, I only got to install plugins from 3 companies, so the wait has been frustrating, especially since the MBpro I have outstrips my trusty dual 2.5 "liquid cooled" G5.... so I've been thinking about "going mobile" completely.... and have been waiting... etc...

So excellent, updates are being released....
next I really need to figure out how to get the "RTAS+Synchrosoft update" for my KLC here in France...

I'll get back to you Wink
max-pol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JazzyGB1 wrote:
I paid nearly £2000 from my roland XP80 & it's expansion boards & it's worth about £400 now. Same losses in value can be attributed to my past gear like my Akai S5000, my Fostem DMT8 etc etc. By those standards your korg KLC has retained it's value quite well.

c'moooon.... these units are almost 10 years old.
the price drop if KLC occurred in less than 16 months.... not quite the same scale.
nlogax

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember that when these products were introduced, no one knew that apple was going to switch to x86.
and when they did, they transitioned faster than announced.
but things should be pretty smooth from here on, at least they stabilized the api's in tiger, so when leopard comes around things should just work. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: