Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DVD Tutorial (is now available)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beyarecords wrote:
had my demo today for an 88 key Oasys. Sweet Lord! my head was spinning after 5 minutes! Page after page after option.

That is exactly my motivation for making this! You look at that huge interface and all the little tabs, saying "What the...?" I'm sure you haven't even delved into the area of Bus routings. Very Happy It's a lot to swallow.

The manual is pretty good, but it is LARGE and isn't necessarily a lot of help, until you actually start to understand the terms and functions being used. I typically play with a synth, for weeks or months, in order to recognize the parameters, before I start taking in the bulk of a manual. Though I won't cover every single, little thing, you should be able to get a good grasp the beast.

Quote:
When is the DVD due for release?

If all goes well, it should be available in February. I was just getting started and the wife scheduled a carpet cleaning, today, so I had to tear down the setup!
beyarecords

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Mike Conway wrote:
You look at that huge interface and all the little tabs, saying "What the...?" I'm sure you haven't even delved into the area of Bus routings..

Don't! I had to take 2 paracetamol when I got in just to try and make sense of it all! Very Happy

To say that the assistant who was giving the demo was struggling, is an understatement! No demo will ever do this board justice, it is too much to take in!

Blessings and Love

Beya
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beyarecords wrote:
To say that the assistant who was giving the demo was struggling, is an understatement! No demo will ever do this board justice, it is too much to take in!

I won't struggle. You'll know what every button is for. (Except FUNCTION) Very Happy

Have you ever played a Triton? The screen displays, either a single program (sound) or a Combi (8 programs). Well the OASYS operates in a similar fashion, except it displays twice as much (16 programs/tracks). That can make the screen look very busy. However, if you take just one program, you can learn you way around, a bit easier.

Years ago, when I bought the Yamaha DX7, the synth was complex. But, that was all I had to focus on. There was no sequencer, drums, HD recorder or even a single effect (reverb, delay, etc.).

The OASYS has all those elements, plus 10 or so synth types. It's a lot to take in, so it helps to have it broken down and shown.

Okay, I have to go. The carpet is dry....
EWBR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
making a DVD tutorial is an excellent idea. It is only my opinion, but it is the fastest way to learn "how it works". I use several programs, not only music stuff and I have a DVD database from some distributers and let me say it is helpful. I wish you good luck for the project.
EWBR
beyarecords

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Mike Conway wrote:
Have you ever played a Triton?

no, I have never owned a Triton except to meddle with a few in music shops whenever I had the oppotunity to remind myself what outside looked like! Before I ha time to really pay attention to the new breed of Korg products, the only Combi I knew about was the Boiler kind! Very Happy

What sort of price are you hoping to market your DVD at?

Blessings and Love

Beya
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Derm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike, are you looking for a dashing presenter for your dvd?
Some people who were drunk said that, from a distance, with the lights low, I look a bit like Carey Grant. Please find picture below, expect to here from you soon.

StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Oasys DVD Reply with quote

pilbeam_mp62 wrote:
(Alternatively, if Stephen was able to put all of his videos on a DVD, I would buy that)

You guys are aware, right, that you can download all my videos (and a free video player) from my site? Or is it the download time that's a problem?

http://www.karma-lab.com/vp/dl/dlvid.html

I mean, I suppose I could put them on a DVD and charge money, but the fact is they're already available for free. Think

Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen, I can play your videos, just fine, from your site. Of course, it's nice to watch them on a nice big TV, as opposed to a compressed bandwidth window on the computer - which would be the draw for such a DVD. Plus, I could sit at the OASYS, with the DVD remote to pause, backup, etc.

At any rate, people need to go to karma-lab and check those and the tutorial posts out.

Derm, what a great look you have! We could cross-market the DVD to children, as well. Very Happy

beyarecords wrote:
What sort of price are you hoping to market your DVD at?

I'll see how it ends up, but I want to keep it very reasonable. Some tutorials charge up the wazoo, but I'm not going to do that. What do you think?
Charlie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets put it this way: if Korg would produce an Oasys-Tutorial-DVD everyone would expect it to be free of charge. Wink

If a third party produces a tutorial it will of course depend on the quality/structure/ease of use/depth of the material. But there is definetly a need for such a thing. Rolling Eyes

The short manual most of the time sticks to the Oasys's different sections - which is ok but not optimal for things like "From Combi to Sequencer to Audio-CD". And the parameter guide is perfect for understanding parameters in depth - but again not really supporting the workflow. I downloaded all of Stephen's videos and they are a great help. I got the short german tutorial of Gundlach (I think it was on the DVD of the Keyboards magazine 5/06). And all the videos helped me at least as much as the literature. But regarding improving my workflow the videos certainly did a better job! Very Happy

In short: if its done well its worth some money!! Cool
pilbeam_mp62

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: How much would I pay ? Reply with quote

OK - I will start the ball rolling....

For a tutorial DVD I would pay at least $20

For all Stephen's videos on a DVD I would pay at least $20

For the two combined, I would pay at least $30

I am not saying I would not pay MORE , but that's how much I would pay
right now, without any fuss or thought , at all..

Any advances Wink
AnthonyB
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one can afford an $8000 keyboard ......... Rolling Eyes

JOHN 3:16
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How much would I pay ? Reply with quote

pilbeam_mp62 wrote:
For a tutorial DVD I would pay at least $20

That's the amount I was thinking about. But, I could play up the value, like one of those bad TV product commercials -

"This lovely tutorial, valued at $199, can be yours for the special low price of $19.95. That's not all! Order now, and we'll throw in a plastic case and artwork, for free!" Evil or Very Mad Very Happy

Here's a setup peek. No, it's not Universal Studios.

I have 3 cameras going, with further insert shots to be taken. Kind of slow going, because I keep experimenting with things. Very Happy
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: How much would I pay ? Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

not Universal Studios, but close to it! Laughing Laughing great!

Peter
ReIgnition

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid 29.00 for a Fantom X DVD from Roland, which isn't bad at all.

On the Motif DVD the guys pushes the buttons and talks sooo fast you don't know what the heck he's doing. On top of that the camera is 10 feet away (no zoom).

Some of these guys forget that when you're part of "creating" hardware or software you know what you're doing (you made it) but you may have to slow it down for everyone else to pick up what you spent years designing. Not that I'm saying that's your situation just in general to the creators that do the tutorials.

push this, then that, arp this, bring up that, patch, hit execute, and presto music created sequenced, mixed, recorded with 19 simple steps. If you missed any part of this just repeat the last segment.

I'd rather pay for 3 good DVD manuals parts 1,2,&3 - than to get 1 cheap DVD like my example above.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReIgnition wrote:
I'd rather pay for 3 good DVD manuals parts 1,2,&3 - than to get 1 cheap DVD like my example above.

That might be the case. It takes me nearly an hour just to cover the interface! (rear outputs, buttons, sliders, touchscreen) I imagine Program Mode will take nearly as long, then Combi Mode, Sequencer/HDR, Global, Disk.

I don't see how this all can fit on one disc, but I'll worry about that, when I get to editing it down.

Aside from the 3 cameras - one on me, one on the entire keyboard and one on the touchscreen - I am also doing ultra-closeup insert shots on individual buttons, screen parameters, etc. You'll have a lot of angles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: