Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many notes can you REALLY sustain on the Oasys
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhjdhj

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:38 am    Post subject: How many notes can you REALLY sustain on the Oasys Reply with quote

I have a Combi that consists of piano, strings and choir and I use them in various combinations, sometimes off using Mute, sometimes off using Volume slider, etc.

I have noticed though that I don't get as much polyphony as I would have expected. If I play a few ascending chords, holding the sustain pedal down, even with just the piano (and the other two muted), the lower notes disappear quite quickly, as if the total number of simultaneous notes was only around 16 or so. There's only one reverb effect.

Am I missing something?
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: How many notes can you REALLY sustain on the Oasys Reply with quote

dhjdhj wrote:
I have a Combi that consists of piano, strings and choir and I use them in various combinations, sometimes off using Mute, sometimes off using Volume slider, etc.

I have noticed though that I don't get as much polyphony as I would have expected. If I play a few ascending chords, holding the sustain pedal down, even with just the piano (and the other two muted), the lower notes disappear quite quickly, as if the total number of simultaneous notes was only around 16 or so. There's only one reverb effect.

Am I missing something?

Add up the polyphony of the layered Programs. If they are HD-1 sounds, then stereo multisamples, multisample crossfades, Wave Sequences, and double oscillators will each cut polyphony in half. For instance, if you had a double HD-1 Program, and each Oscillator had stereo Wave Sequences with velocity crossfades, then each note would play 16 voices (!). I don't think any factory Programs do this, but once you've layered a few Programs together in a Combi, they can get pretty voice-hungry.

As a side note, mute doesn't free polyphony in Combis.

Hope this helps!
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: How many notes can you REALLY sustain on the Oasys Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
As a side note, mute doesn't free polyphony in Combis.

I was about to post that, but Dan beat me to it. I did a polyphony test on the DVD that showed that the OASYS HD-1 engine actually does reach 172 voices.

You can use mono samples, instead of stereo. You can turn off the cross-fades and go with cross-switching. Fades (and Wave Sequences) overlap. With a stereo sample that's 4 notes of poly. Sometimes, these adjustments make all the difference.

Keep in mind that STR-1 and MS-20 programs are only 48 note polyphonic.
jg::
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Keep in mind that STR-1 and MS-20 programs are only 48 note polyphonic.

Yes, imagine that - a synth that sounds almost indistinguishable to a real MS20, but has full memory recall and 48-note polyphony! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

jg::
jgsidak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this means that one can or cannot enhance the polyphony of the Oasys by adding RAM? If so, can anyone report on how successful this fix is?
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately a RAM upgrade has no affect on polyphony. It's purely for loading samples. Perhaps Dan might point to other OS speed enhancements with extra RAM but I don't remember Korg flagging it improving polyphony.

Of course polyphony is a universal problem and not unique to OASYS, which, remember, starts from a higher voice count than even the latest Motif's and Fantoms.

Also - latency is significantly less an issue on OASYS even with high voice count - than with the likes of NI Komplete and Arturia synths on even the latest MACs. I'm confident you’ll not get 48 note polyphony from Arturia's CS80V even on a high spec mac; and expect be also able to do anything else. Korg went to some lengths to optimise efficiency, giving a large polyphony advantage over many VST/AU soft synths even on multi processor machines.

Even for the HD-1, ESx1|2|3 samples, given they are RAM based, they respond faster at higher polyphony than the best streaming sample playback libraries (I know that’s a limited comparison because of the greater no. of articulations and instrument choices available in dedicated libraries) .

So while the OASYS has a polyphony limit, it is still higher than even very well spec'd DAW setups and with lower latency. What OASYS delivers in these departments should definitely not be taken for granted – it’s not perfect but it’s a significant advance on other keyboards and as said even many DAW setups regarding the combined issue of polyphony+latency.

You'll just have to plan you combi's / song templates - but even large studios and orchestras have to plan in this way also. Resources are always limited!!

Kevin.

PS - the new Roland GAIA - with 64 voice polyphony for a virtual analogue engine - and again with essentially zero latency - is a very interesting development in this regard IMO. I know it's regarded with mixed feelings, but boy does it seem to have a quite capable engine under the hood for such an innocent looking little synth.
jgsidak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

I'm glad you straightened me out on this RAM question before I went to a lot of effort adding RAM in the hope of trying to fix the problem of tracks dropping out in polyphony-rich songs.

Does anyone know whether their is a simple chart that shows how quickly one exhausts the polyphony of the Oasys with respect to different parameters?

Also, is there any indicator (like an indicator of the remaining storage capacity on a disk drive) that tells you how much polyphony you have left? I realize that it would peak across time throughout the song, depending on the arrangement, signal processing, etc.

Ultimately, what I am trying to identify is the answer to this question: How must I modify my style of composing on the Oasys to minimize the likelihood that polyphony will become a binding constraint? I want to avoid the situation in which I have invested a lot of time on a project and then suddenly realize that it will never sound the way I had hoped because the necessary polyphony will never be available.

Greg
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure such a clear cut chart could ever be derived because the amount of polyphony left depends on the number and complexity of programs used to that point.

A few pointers which I've picked up here from the likes fo Dan and Mike, and realised myself include:

1. Reduce / optimise effects in Combi's and Songs. Less effects means more polyphony for synths. Note the %indicator in the effects section, telling you how much of the available DSP is used by effects and synths. Switching effects off is not enough - you need to remove them from the insert, master or total 'slot' they occupy.

2. I think the following list indicates increasing demand on available CPU power, meaning less polyphony all round:

HD-1 [EXs1|2|3]
LAC Polysix
AL-1
MOD-7
STR-1
LAC MS20

In other words - for maximum polyphony use HD-1 sample sounds and the Polysix for synth sounds where possible as first choice; and use MS20 sounds as a last option (or less frequently).

I'm not sure if the order above is exactly correct (perhaps MOD-7 and STR-1 order need to be reversed?). Also - not sure how to judge the polyphony hogging by CX-3 engine - I think that when you activate it then it activates oscillators across 88 keys whether you're playing them or not - but that might be only when you've actually triggering the engine - Dan - could you comment on this?).

Other issues to note in Combi's and songs include:

- All of the advice given above by Dan and others - get a feel for all these issues in your Combi's and templates.

- Check if a program to be incorporated into a song uses Unison mode. If the voice uses even 2 note unison, then every note played doubles the voice count for that one note.

- For piano sounds, use the Internal pianos (especially the excellent programs provided inthe HD-Expansion packs) rather than the EXs2 Pianos which often use more layers and may not be needed in a mix.

- Same goes for woodwind and brass - use internal programs instead of EXs3 where possible.

- Only load the programs into a Combi on an as needed basis, rather than filling up a Combi/Song Template with 16 tracks of programs.

- If using the OASYS standalone, you might consider adding another synth/module to your setup and feeding into OASYS MIDI/Audio channels. Options here include everything from Korg’s incredibly cheap Monotron for synth leads to something like a Roland JV2080/XV5080 with added cards for various genres. I find these to be still exquisite modules - especially the XV5080 - its a monster and would substantively solve your polyphony issues (another 128 voices across a huge array of stunning programs).

Other than this, its a matter of getting to know Combi's that in the past worked well and using variants of these in future songs where possible.

As said before, we all have to deal with polyphony issues - this isn't unique to OASYS - I know you know this. Its not worth getting too upset by the OASYS's limitations - instead accept them, use them to your advantage and optimise / add resources as suggested above.

In the past this issue was a big one for me - the JD800 was/is central to my setup so I bought several of them. Similarly, the SY77 and 99 are quite limited polyphony-wise but interestingly, some of my compositions on their sequencers produced the dropouts you mention and in a few pieces actually added a dimension I hadn't planned but which worked out well (for a few of them in any case).

Kevin.
jgsidak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kevin.

A couple further questions:

1. Does limiting the keyboard zone for a particular program in a Combi free up CPU capacity and thus conserve polyphony? If I have a program for the bass line, should I always limit the keyboard zone for that program to the bottom half of the keyboard (or more)? Will that reduce the "dropout" problem? If I rarely play in the top octave of the 88-key keyboard, should I chop off that zone for all tracks?

2. In terms of loading only programs into a Combi on an as-needed basis, how do I keep a track unused? By assigning the default I-A000 Oasys Piano to the track?

Thanks for your great advice.

Greg
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other way to free up polyphony is to record some of your sequenced voices as an internal audio stereo pair that plays in sequence with your sequenced song. Although it is critical to get your mix right, balance and proper programs, etc.; the process will enable you to even get more than 16 parts down on the song. That is if you are trying to do everything within the Oasys realm. FWIW

nitecrawler Cool

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
danatkorg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgsidak wrote:
Does anyone know whether their is a simple chart that shows how quickly one exhausts the polyphony of the Oasys with respect to different parameters?

To start with, there's the "Maximum Polyphony" section of the specifications on page 230 of the Operation Guide (latest PDF version, E5). Here are a few other parts of the manuals which will help:

All references for the Parameter Guide, latest PDF version (E5):
"A note about polyphony" on page 33
"8–5a: Effect/EXi Fixed Resource Meter" on page 130

There are also notes here:
"Xfade Range" on page 52
"VOLTAGE CONTROLLED OSCILLATOR 1" waveform on page 289
"Mode" on page 355

You should be able to find these references (and a few more) by searching for "polyphony" in your PDF reader.

One fundamental point: any time that you layer or crossfade sounds, multiple voices are required to do that. Unison layers multiple detuned voices. Velocity crossfades layer different voices (playing different samples, for instance). Wave Sequences crossfade between two sets of voices, alternating back and forth; each set may be stereo, which doubles the number of voices. (Stereo samples require two voices: one for the left channel, and one for the right.) If you use two Oscillators in an HD-1 Program, that doubles the number of voices as well.

Since individual layers in an HD-1 Program may be mono or stereo, use normal Multisamples or Wave Sequences, and be crossfaded or layered or not, polyphony usage may be different at different velocities.

Combis let you create very complex layers, crossfades, and switches, both in velocity and keyboard ranges. So, their polyphony usage may also vary.

Earlier in this thread, something was written which made it sound as if using EXs samples might impact polyphony. This is not the case. There is no difference in polyphony between ROM, EXs, and RAM samples.

jgsidak wrote:
Also, is there any indicator (like an indicator of the remaining storage capacity on a disk drive) that tells you how much polyphony you have left? I realize that it would peak across time throughout the song, depending on the arrangement, signal processing, etc.

The Effect/EXi Fixed Resource Meter is valuable, since it shows the amount of power free for voices relative to effects etc. It does not have a realtime display of voice usage, however.

jgsidak wrote:
Ultimately, what I am trying to identify is the answer to this question: How must I modify my style of composing on the Oasys to minimize the likelihood that polyphony will become a binding constraint? I want to avoid the situation in which I have invested a lot of time on a project and then suddenly realize that it will never sound the way I had hoped because the necessary polyphony will never be available.

You should never have to encounter this, because (as nitecrawler wrote) you can always record the entire output of the OASYS to a single, stereo pair of audio tracks, and then start again.

If you are concerned about polyphony, and you're making your own Combis, then as a general rule using fewer layers will be a good first step.

I hope that this helps!

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
danatkorg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:

I'm not sure if the order above is exactly correct (perhaps MOD-7 and STR-1 order need to be reversed?). Also - not sure how to judge the polyphony hogging by CX-3 engine - I think that when you activate it then it activates oscillators across 88 keys whether you're playing them or not - but that might be only when you've actually triggering the engine - Dan - could you comment on this?).

Thanks for taking the time and posting all the good info, Kevin!

Re the CX-3, there's some info in the manuals which should be helpful:

All references for the Parameter Guide, latest PDF version (E5)

CX-3 & STR-1: Limitations on EXi fixed resources on page 382
MS-20EX uses EXi fixed resources on page 285
PolysixEX uses EXi fixed resources on page 313

Best regards,

Dan
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan -

Just for clarity - if a program uses two velocity layers for example - are two voices being used, no matter what velocity you hit the key?

And - I'm now confused by something you wrote in you post. I was under the impression that if you reduced the effects count in a Program, Combi or Song, then this provided for more voices allocation, ie, greater polyphony. Are you saying this is not the case? If not the case, I must confess to being confused - what's the % indicator telling us?

Note also that it was me who flagged/suggested the use of internal pianos, woodwind and so on where possible - rather than EXs2 Pianos or EXs3 in particular. I didn't explain well - I was just suggesting to target internal programs 'in a mix' where there may be fewer layers / oscillators (on the average) in interanl programs than in the EXs ones which are (on the avreage) more complex in their programming and usage of voices. Without looking at the OASYS right now, I know for example there's one excellent acoustic piano from the HD Expansion pack, I think its called 'Natural Acoustic' or something like that, that I think has only one layer and really sounds excellent. So I was suggesting that using that Piano, for example, rather than an EXs Piano with perhaps two oscialltors (one for dampner) and many velocity layers, in a mix.

Finally, Dan - what about Gary's question of keyboard zoning - I'm not clear on how that affects polyphony - can you provide any extra clarity on that (I accept you pointed to the manual already !!). for example - if you zone a bass sound in a program to the lower two octaves only and play a note in a higher octave - are voices played /used up?

Thanks,
Kevin.
danatkorg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the feeling that we may be missing some basics here.

There are two main types of resources:
* stuff that uses CPU power as soon as you select it
* stuff that only uses CPU power when you play notes

The first category, "stuff that uses CPU power as soon as you select it," is comprised of:
* effects
* EXi fixed resources

For more on EXi fixed resources, the manual citations above should be helpful.

Everything else in the system - everything to do with the HD-1, for instance - falls into the second category: "stuff that only uses CPU power when you play notes."

The number of velocity zones in a Program or Combi does not affect polyphony. Neither does the number or range of keyboard zones.

The only question is how many voices are played at a time. If velocity or keyboard zones overlap, either as layers or as crossfades, then the stuff in all overlapping zones plays at the same time. More voices play, and so more processing power is required.

Kevin Nolan wrote:
And - I'm now confused by something you wrote in you post. I was under the impression that if you reduced the effects count in a Program, Combi or Song, then this provided for more voices allocation, ie, greater polyphony. Are you saying this is not the case? If not the case, I must confess to being confused - what's the % indicator telling us?

Your initial impression was correct. (I'm not sure what I wrote that implied otherwise, but I understand that forums are not always perfect means of communication; I'm sorry if I was confusing.)

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Finally, Dan - what about Gary's question of keyboard zoning - I'm not clear on how that affects polyphony - can you provide any extra clarity on that (I accept you pointed to the manual already !!). for example - if you zone a bass sound in a program to the lower two octaves only and play a note in a higher octave - are voices played /used up?

If you restrict a sound to a keyboard zone, the sound does not play outside of that zone. Since the sound doesn't play, voices are not used. The same holds for velocity zones.

Hope this helps!

- Dan
ldascanio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: How many notes can you REALLY sustain on the Oasys Reply with quote

You have two other options when designing a COMBI that could be useful to minimize polyphony issues:
1) Look in your manual the TIMBRE PRIORITY parameter.
With your Oasys in COMBI Mode go to the tab TIMBRE PARAMETER > MIDI
You will find in that screen the TIMBRE PRIORITY parameter. if you select the most important timbre as Priority then the Oasys will take notes from the other timbres when reach the polyphony limit preserving the ones for the timbre set as Priority. This doesn't give you more polyphony but perception is totally different as the notes stolen are taken first from the less important timbres in your combi.

2) ENABLE DAMPER parameter:
If you are using a Damper pedal you can select this parameter only for the tiembres that really need it or are very dependant on playing style as the Piano. Remember that sounds that are hold with the damper pedal keep using notes even if the sound disapear quickly and polyphony is recovered only when the pedal is released.

Rgds.
OASYS 88 #000312
KRONOS 61 #003946
KORG Z1, ROLAND PK-5

Last edited by ldascanio on Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: