Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to buy?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
XdikkX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: What to buy? Reply with quote

I want a new bit of gear, but can't spend a ton of cash right now and have decided to go with either the Mini-KP or Kaossilator. I'm in a band where the electronics aren't the main focus and I'm unsure of which one I should purchase.

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on the matter?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mini-KP is primarily an effects unit. It has a few crazy synth sounds that are good for big sweeps - but can't be locked to any musical scale.

It fits great on the end of a keyboard or guitar.

The Kaossilator is an instrument and possesses no processing effects. Instead it provides a cheap palette of sounds which you play using the touchpad. The sounds can be locked to a musical scale, and it also has a looper so you can build up soundscapes or loops from the built in sounds. IMO it is a bit more gimmicky and toy-ish than the mini-KP, which as you say you don't want a focus on electronic sounds, seems to me like the better option. I have nothing against the Kaossilator, but it kind of naturally takes centre stage and is a great solo instrument or party piece. Primarily, it is an interesting way to control sounds beyond a keyboard or other traditional interfaces.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
XdikkX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you used the Monotron? How would that pair with the mini-KP?

The more I've looked around, I'm leaning towards buying a KP3. Question though: can I load samples onto this (drum loops, guitar riffs, etc.) and play them back without being hooked up to a PC?
Pastor-of-Muppets
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can load samples from the SD card, but the obvious way to put them on the SD card is from a PC

a mini-KP and a monotron are both great fun, but I'm not sure they'd amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world
cardboardcorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest the Mini-KP. There are plenty of synthesizers in the world but the effects processor is all it's own![/url]

Click and read that for the cheapest price guaranteed. :]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: