Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Radias vs. R3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrrP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Radias vs. R3 Reply with quote

Are the engines the same?

Judging from the mp3 demo's the R3 sounds a tad stronger, phatter, more dirty, especially on the low end and low-mid side.

I wouldn't be surprised if the filters have been improved a little from the Radias.

Wasn't this the case also with the MS2000 and the microKorg?

Maybe more effort was put into the demo's of the R3 compared to the Radias. Or maybe they just wanted to show the other side of the engine. Something different to the 'futuristic' sound of the Radias.

Someone with a Radias: Please tell me can you get sounds this 'phat' from the Radias as in the R3 demo's?

Oh Yeah... here's a link to the demo's:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21522
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory the R3 is a just a mini version of the Radias engine with 8 voices instead of 24 and two timbres per program instead of 4. I don't know any other details so can't comment if there have been any tweak to the engine.

One thing that will have changed is that the Korg voicing people are now more familiar with the engine and that experience translates to better sounding programs. I remember when the Triton LE came out. Even though it only had 1 IFX a lot of the programs sounded better than the Triton programs with 5 IFX etc.

Daz.
Ryowolf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The R3 is a cool synth, probably with better presets than the RADIAS. But just as Daz stated, thats because they are now familiar with the engine. It looks as if the RADIAS is more full version of the R3.
gdh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it will be interesting to see what Korg's plans are for the Radias now (more software upgrades/sample patches created etc.) - with the intro of the R3 and M3.
slammah2012

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These R3 sounds are definitly not beyond the radias capabilities.......
Currently running, Hammond M3, Yamaha CS80 + MM6, Roland JX-3P + Mkb 1000 + Vk7 + D110, Alesis Quadrasynth plus, Haken Continuum fingerboard, Korg Radias + Lambda, Ensoniq SQ80, Waldorf Blofeld, Creamware Prodyssey + B4000, Use Audio Plugiator, Arp Axxe ....and some soft synths.
OliverM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:
In theory the R3 is a just a mini version of the Radias engine with 8 voices instead of 24 and two timbres per program instead of 4. I don't know any other details so can't comment if there have been any tweak to the engine.

One thing that will have changed is that the Korg voicing people are now more familiar with the engine and that experience translates to better sounding programs. I remember when the Triton LE came out. Even though it only had 1 IFX a lot of the programs sounded better than the Triton programs with 5 IFX etc.

Daz.

Yes, you're totally right Daz! Cool
It's exactly the same soundengine with the limitatons you wrote.
Also the D/A Converters and the DSP's are the same as in Radias.

Cheers,
Oliver
nemmo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably we will be able to download R3 presets and test them in the Radias at some minute.
OliverM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemmo wrote:
Probably we will be able to download R3 presets and test them in the Radias at some minute.

maybe it's possible in the future.... but there are some problems with non existing dwgs waveforms from the r3 in radias. Cool

cheers,
oliver
TrrP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be cool if Radias owners were able to update the standard PCM waves with the DWGS waves like the R3 has.

I own an EMX-1 which has almost the same PCM waves as the Radias. I also own a microKorg which had DWGS waves. I *much* prefer the DWGS waves. There truely are fantastic. Lovely bells..wow. It's also more original than these *standard* PCM sounds which i'd rather use a sampler for.

Would this be possible software wise? The Virus TI crew managed to update their product with new wavetables is OS 2.0.
It would be a fair thing to do also because the Radias is the big brother (flagship) to the R3. (like the Oasys is towards the M3 Laughing )

Any thoughts on this one friends?

Paul
MarkF786

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a lot of the product specs for the RADIAS it says that is the DWGS waves. Does it or not? I'm confused.

Mark
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Radias loses some of the DWGS waves to make way for the samples and multisamples it has. That became pretty clear when I was writing the converter from the MS2000 -> Radias. I think the Radias EXB for the M3 loses the samples/multisamples (why would would you need inside a Rompler!) and has the full compliment of DWGS waves.

I recently noticed some other differences betwixt R3 and Radias, if the editor screenshots on the JP website are anything to go by. A couple of the Radias's nice voicing features are not included

1)LFO shape param
2) EG curve param
3) EG time velocity sensitivity (level velocity only)

http://www.korg.co.jp/Product/Synthesizer/R3/pic/p8-3.jpg

... maybe these screenshots are from a pre-release version of the software and not fully representative of the final product.

Daz.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's equivalent screenshot of the Radias editor :

http://www.korg.co.jp/Product/Synthesizer/RADIAS/pic/p4-3.jpg

If you look at them side by side, it clear to see where the differences lie.

Even without these little touches the R3 all the major features, they didn't remove the second filter or simplify the morphing of filter types of Filter 1.

A much more interesting piece than the mK IMO.

Daz.
rbox

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OliverM wrote:
Daz wrote:

Daz.

Yes, you're totally right Daz! Cool
It's exactly the same soundengine with the limitatons you wrote.
Also the D/A Converters and the DSP's are the same as in Radias.

Cheers,
Oliver

It is possible that they have optimized the Software.
rbox

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if the R3 has the same DSP as the Radias,it has more unused DSP power,with only 8 voices?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: