Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Custom keyboard Stands

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you buy a custom keyboard stand that had blue strip lights sunken into the design ?
Yes
80%
 80%  [ 12 ]
No
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 15

Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Custom keyboard Stands Reply with quote

Hi all.

To make a very long story short, I have a very good friend who owns and engineering company and I while showing him the OASYS, he commented on the fact that such a beautiful instrument should be sitting on a custom stand that lights up with blue LED’s. Sounded like a great idea to me, especially since he is offering to make me one Smile

While fooling around with some of my own designs, I came up with this.

I won’t be getting one made exactly like this, but it’s just some eye candy I thought you might like to see.

We will probably go with a single V shape design, rather than the double Z design above.

Which brings me to a question !!!!

My friend obviously being a businessman was wondering if there would be any sort of interest for something like this from others.

He’s talking about a V shaped design with channels milled out to take long strips of blue lights. Basically the entire stand will probably light up neon blue Smile

Would something like that be of interest to you if it was to become available to purchase?.

I’m going to see if I can put something together in 3D to show the kind of design we are talking about, just to give you a better idea of what it will look like.

I’ll also setup a poll so you can cast your vote without having to reply to this thread if you don’t want to.

Regards.
Sharp.
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COunt me in!!!
I would love to see the price, but the "Woooooowwwww" effect on live gigs is guaranteed!
I can offer as an "endorser", if he would like to get in the market with such nice stands!

regards

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here’s what the V design could very well look like.
Slots could be milled down the lengths of the bars deep enough to sink in the strips of light, which are not shown in this 3D render.

I don’t want to go to any great lengths designing stuff in 3D until I see him tomorrow, but my guess is if a V design is on the cards, this could very well be what it would look like.

Sexy stuff Smile

Although I also like the double Z design. Take out the OASYS logo and insall a light box with graphics are your laughing Smile

Regards.
Sharp.
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it Sharp!
As I saied, count me in!
I would love to know the price, but it can be a very nice idea.

Of course, it's nothing new because Roland V-stand and QuikLok Z-stand already exists, but if he can find something new to add to these stand, it should be a grat idea!

MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a keyboard stand (quicklok) with 3 synths on top of it (one hammond XB2 one Korg N264 in the middle and X5 on top). However after I bought the extreme the Hammond was a bit obselete (the hammond of the extreme sounds with the better speakers and valve better than the hammond itself), so I removed one part of the stand.

By the way : I have removed some iron of the upper extension because I don't like the keyboards to have a height difference of 40 centimers (10-15" ?). They should be almost on top of eachother ...

So yes, it's custom but only by adaption.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that I'm surprised no-one has thought Of making actual custom made stands for certain synths,but then again its probably also an expensive manufacturing process and as such there's no call for luxury items,unless your loaded,When most synthies will opt for the standards like Quiklok etc...

The only decent looking stands I like are the Apex ones from Ultimate support

I have 3 of these,but the only trouble is there pretty expensive in comparison to Quikloks,and they don't seem to take up so much floor space to the Quiklok stuff plus the downside is you cant Angle your synths like the extension tiers of Quikloks,but you soon get used to the positioning But personally I love them,the good thing about the Apex systems is that they fold down pretty flat for transportation,and the tiers slot into the top of the stand and plus you can mount a Rack unit on the top Tier,which is quite convenient,I have a fair amount og Quiklok stuff too,but find tham a little fiddly,I'm also looking at having some special bracket made for one of my stands so I can mount a PC monitor onto the bracket and clamp it onto the stand mast

I've heard people compain about the legs on the Apex stands saying theres not much practical room for pedals,but I've never had any problems with 2 expression pedals and a switch and the EC5 board for my Prophecy

As for your second design sharp.....

There is already a stand in similar proportions from again Ultimate support systems

What I would like to see is somebody make stands for non Keyboard equipment,table top fx and the like something to hold my electribes in a custom way,the only thing I could find suitable for this purpose was an extension tray from Quiklok,which is basically a perofrated metal tray that sits over an existing tier,I'd like to have some extension swinging arms off the current keyboard stands that hold the electribes at the side of my synths,the closest thing you can find like this is those workstatio units from Quiklok,but again who wants to cart one of those off to a gig????

Theres also the Spider system stands which are similar to the Ultimate support ones

laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest to kick current keyboard stand conventions and come up with something really new, futuristic, slick, functional.....

I have something on my mind, but I have no skills with 3d design.... Sad

If you think about sea shells...something like 2 longish seashells standing upright to the left and right and blending into eachother creating the support "table" for the board, so you have maximum leg space and enough space for a phletora of pedals. Definately something for home/studio, not for quick and easy transport stuff, more a design study than anything else....

Heck I wish I could draw this.... Laughing
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bear.

Quote:
I would suggest to kick current keyboard stand conventions and come up with something really new, futuristic, slick, functional.....

I totally agree, and I have actually asked the guy to hold on and don’t make me anything just yet.

I’m going to throw some money at this and actually pay him to really do a good job. CNC machines will more than likely be needed, so I can’t expect him to do that for nothing.

I think it’s best that we do come up with something totally new that nobody has seen before. Then integrate illuminated fibre optics, and for a floorshow, a few LED’s.

Two designs could be on the cards here too. One for permanent installations, and a portable live stage stand.

Your seashell idea sounds very interesting, but I can’t visualise it exactly in my head. If you have a pen and paper, I’d like to see your idea. If I know what looks like, I could design it in 3D.

Kind Regards.
Sharp.
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember there was a keyboardist here in Italy...if I'm not wrong he's Andy, from a band called "Bluvertigo", which had a custom stand for its keyboards which was mounted on a very big motivating force, and he could kick and punch with amount of force and brutality and the keyboard never felt down; it just arrived a few inches from the floor but then went back to its notaural position...very interesting!
another stand, which has been done from a student here in Italy from Politecnico in Torino, was very very nice because it gave the possibility to turn 360°: you could play with the vertical keyboard, and if you prefer you can rotate it clockwise or counter-clockwise...very nice!

regards

MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The V design looks very cool.

If you want something unique, than you should have a look at the keyboard stands that Greg Phillinganes was or maybe still is using.

early solution for my OASYS:

peter
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks awesome, Peter! Very elegant. Where did you get that stand from?

One thing I would like to see in other stands is a facility to have 19" rack units (for a few sound-modules [which aren't necessarily 'desktop' type modules like the V-Synth brain in that pic] and effects processors) neatly above a master keyboard (or two). Currently I have to dive under my desk to change processor parameters, so I need to have a bit of a reshuffle.

Quite like the idea of a modular approach (like the Quiklok stuff), too, so even offset shelves to the side on swinging arms or something would be great to have. Not even the Quiklok stuff seems as customisable as I'd like.

Am even contemplating the idea of getting all my keyboards (stands) off of the floor and bolting them to the wall using something like [these] with [these] accessories. A modular wall system would be great for a studio in a more permanent installation. - Obviously you couldn't gig with the stands, though! However, would make for easy hoovering when cleaning!
Am sure it's probably the same with you lot, but it's like an assault course trying to hoover around all my own keyboard stands, cables, speaker/monitor stands, rack units, etc. Already got my monitors wall-mounted, though. Very Happy
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timo wrote:
That looks awesome, Peter! Very elegant. Where did you get that stand from?

I "designed" it and a friend welded some old parts. You should have seen it before it was painted black Smile.

The stand is very stable and there is enough space for my legs. Meanwhile I changed everything, removed most of the keyboards as the OASYS overtook their part and only the Neuron and Minimoog Voyager remained, now on the stand pictured above.

Timo wrote:
One thing I would like to see in other stands is a facility to have 19" rack units (for a few sound-modules [which aren't necessarily 'desktop' type modules like the V-Synth brain in that pic] and effects processors) neatly above a master keyboard (or two). Currently I have to dive under my desk to change processor parameters, so I need to have a bit of a reshuffle.

Agree, but in that case a one leg solution most likely won´t be stable enough I think. Although I remember the english band Ultravox, Billie Curry playing a Yamaha GS-1 and another keyboard (either PPG Wave 2.2 or Jupiter-8 ) on top of the GS on the same one leg stand.

Timo wrote:
Obviously you couldn't gig with the stands, though! However, would make for easy hoovering when cleaning!
Am sure it's probably the same with you lot, but it's like an assault course trying to hoover around all my own keyboard stands, cables, speaker/monitor stands, rack units, etc.

You are right. To keep the studio clean a solution without cables would just be perfect... I know there is one, using only Plug-Ins, but this is nothing for haptic.

peter
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a killer setup, peter, compliments!
I would be happy with the half of toys you have in your studio...and I would be happier if I would have enough time to use'em all!!

regards

MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diego wrote:
what a killer setup, peter, compliments!
I would be happy with the half of toys you have in your studio...and I would be happier if I would have enough time to use'em all!!
regards

Hi Diego,

I reduced it already as it became more a collectors place then a studio. On my website you can see the old studio. But I suggest to have a look during your day- and nighttime as there should be a change in light.

coming back to my current equipment, altough I love the Voyager and like the Neuron... honestly I am meanwhile using the OASYS only. For very tight drums I still go with the MPC as it is unbeatable Smile but that´s it.

.... but now I have no excuse anymore Wink

peter
Anashwaran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I use a Monolyth stand from Quik Lok and I must say it's great!
It is foldable, and i can put a board in front on the L for all my books etc... And it doesn't move an inch with such a heavy KB like the Oasys.

Have a lo(o)k here:
http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=productsMore&iProduct=70&sName=M-91
And the price is really OK.
Anashwaran
Anashwaran's New Website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: