Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Channel Strip recommendation ??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MisterBrett

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Channel Strip recommendation ?? Reply with quote

peter m. mahr wrote:
Hi,

what kind of channel strips are you using to record vocals, Manley, Pendulum, SSL, Milllenia, Avalon, Chandler etc.?

What do you recommend?

thanks in advance

peter

Although it's a preamp and not a channel strip, I advocate presonus.. Their stuff is slightly less expensive than some of the bigger names, but it's still professional quality with class A converters. They have a model called "Digimax FS" which is roughly $650(USA) and it sounds absolutely awesome. Plus, it's got both analog & digital outputs.

Features:
- 8 XMAX Class A microphone preamps w/ trim control
- 24-bit resolution, 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96K sampling rate
- 96k ADAT input and output (dual SMUX)
- JetPLL jitter reduction technology for ultra tight synchronization
- Direct outputs and inserts on every channel
- Word clock input and output

• Hybrid design incorporates noise shaping to virtually remove audio band jitter.
• Ensures highest converter performance possible, resulting in better separation.
• Fast locking to any digital format, through a wide range of frequencies.
• Extremely robust, and tolerant of wide variations in clock frequencies.
• Ensures near perfect clock performance when networking audio devices.
• Dual VCXO loop performance and quality.

http://www.presonus.com/digimax_fs.html
TritonRob

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Its also important to know what exactly you need the channel strip to be able to do ..add warmth, EQ, noise gate, compress etc It can make choosing the right unit a little difficult other wise you can end up spending thousands .
TL Audio do some medium priced rack units BTBH if your not going to be using them all the time they can end up being a rather expensive flashing light in amongst all your other gear .
I really just bought mine (TLA 5051) to add a little bit of warmth compression along with phantom power so I could get a more controllable vocal track with my AKG c414. It also doubles up as a decent Bass guitar preamp though not too keen on the EQ section for that so I run it as flat as possible and use the valve drive with the compressor section and EQ it in the recorder when playing bass.
higskies

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing to hear people say it's necessary to spend alot of $$ to get great sound.

I use a Focusrite TrakMasterPro. It sounds great with my Blue Bird, but I still want a UAD 61176 pre/limiter combo. You just can't go too wrong with that combo. It sounds as if you already have/use them.

I think the real question is- what type of sound are you trying to achieve?

For instance, you say you are using Avalon DI's for keyboards (nice choice, BTW), but maybe you could try miking a keyboard amp to add a little 'room' to the sound or to get the perfect EQ on the amp and use a transparent mic/preamp to capture the perfect sound instead of trying to create it through artificial means on the tail end. My #1 rule of recording has always been - get the sound right before you hit record!

I wish I had the budget for some of the equipment you mentioned. One piece on my dream list is an API lunchbox filled with preamp/EQ strips. I read that The Flaming Lips used them for their latest record, and it sounds phenomenal. If you haven't heard their 5.1 remake of Bohemian Rhapsody, you absolutely need to seek it out! A true audiophile recording!

Sorry if I come off as 'bashing' people who can afford high-end equipment. It is definately not the intent. I just feel that you can get great sound on mid-range equipment if you know how to use it properly. Hell, the last studio I recorded in had a nice collection of preamps and microphones, with a ProTools HD setup, but the engineer tried to run everything so 'hot' that he ended up with alot of tonal distortion in the final mix, and it only gets worse as you turn up the volume to listen back! It's all about using your setup well. Good luck in your search and decision!
Korg TR, Legacy DE, padKontrol, M-Audio Axiom, Alesis QS7.1, Yamaha YS-200, Casio VZ-8M, Roland D-110, E-mu ESI-32, Absynth 3, FM7, Live 7, Sonar Producer 7, PreSonus Firepod interface, KRK Rokit5 monitors, Focusrite/Behringer/PreSonus preamps, Rode/Blue/Shure mics, kazoos?, Fender Telecaster, Danelectro U2, Epiphone Les Paul Studio, VOX/Peavey/Gorilla amps, Sigma DY10 Acoustic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: