Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TR and Sonar - Combi+programs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sequencers / Audio recording packages.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cygnus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: TR and Sonar - Combi+programs? Reply with quote

I am wanting to have a Combi on track 1, and regular programs on the rest of the tracks in Sonar, but i'm having a bit of trouble

I'm in combi mode and have midi set to Korg in Global. I also have the instrument def's for the TR installed into Sonar. I'm using the midi-usb out.

I've recorded Combi B009 Studio Orchestra into track 1.
That works fine (i have channel 1 selected in track properties).

For track 2, I want Program D107 Classic French Horns.
Here's where the trouble starts. D107 will not stay during playback (it's using some other sound.) I have selected Channel 2 in track properties.

For track 3, i try selecting channel 3, but nothing happens...all is silent.

What am i doing wrong and/or how do I record/playback a combi plus other programs in Sonar?
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what you aren't getting - A combination uses 8 programs, so in Sequencer mode, it will HAVE to take up a channel for each program that the combinations uses. So if Combi B009 uses 8 programs, it will have to take up 8 of your tracks in Seq mode.

To accomplish this, you start in Sequencer mode, and you should have a menu option to "Copy from Combi," and you can enter B009 and copy it to the TR's SEQ mode. Don't assign ANY patch assignments in sonar for channels 1-8... they will now be preset to those programs.

You can record channel 1 in Sonar (in SEQ mode), and it should control channels 1-8 on the TR.

Unfortunately, you'll only have 8 channels left for programs (tracks 9-16) so you can assign channel 9 to D107, channel 10 to whatever other program you want, just leave channels 2-8 untouched in Sonar (these are all used by that combination Studio Orchestra).
cygnus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: No sound with MIDI in SEQ Reply with quote

Gargamel314,
When I follow your directions (in SEQ mode, I copied the combi to it).

But the keyboard is silent. No notes can be heard.

In Sonar - Track properties, I have Input TR -Omni
Output - TR

No channels, banks, or patches are selected in sonar.

As I hit keys, there is no sound.

Might you know what i'm doing wrong?

(if i go back to combi mode, then the sound returns and i can record the midi....it's just that nothing is happening when i switch back to SEQ mode)
Jmedic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm relatively new to all this too (Sonar, that is), so I might be missing something as well. Previous to my Triton, I owned an X5 and it was very difficult to record Combi's with MIDI. You can record Combi's on the on-board sequencer, which is what Gargamel is talking about, but if I uderstand, you want to do it in Sonar.

Here is what I do. I record the Combi's as digital audio through my soundcard and then record the regular programs as MIDI. I have done it this way since the days of my X5, so I may have missed a technique that can now be used to record a Combi as MIDI in a computer based DAW, but I doubt it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sequencers / Audio recording packages. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: