Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disappointed Radias user
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hackjack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Disappointed Radias user Reply with quote

hi i have had my radias 3 days .. just not dirty enough.

i want drag it throw mud ... drop from hill top .. set on fire for few mins .

its just to clean . sound is to bright, high end ..

did not pay 900 uk pounds (with keyboard) so i could play "twinkle twinkle little star"

even with 2 FX and master FX and "drive to max" with on Distortion on on all 3 fx still not FAT

i have 6 Korg Prophey's .. sounds from each one is that is fat .. i live in place were can not go to test out keyboard's .. buy watching video from the korg japan webite i i tought would be realy fat .. but not

the comb filter on the radias is a joke compared prophey .. so why even put in

do you think Korg will make a Radias OS so can be fatter?

may be just becuase i am new radias user can't make it fat .(any help here)
botega

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
botega

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought about it...

i think that sugar, yeast , flour, eggs and oil should do the job

till next time
slammah2012

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats funny....

I find the low overhead makes it easy to make some nasty sounding pieces of scooter trash...
I add some bass EQ to any preset to distort thru the Waveshape "pickup parameter" in the preamp stage and to knock it a little dirtier hit the unison in Osc 1 (phase shift off) unison 50%, and the "UNISON" button as well.....

With out any FX I can make dirt.....Check out the WS possibilities
Currently running, Hammond M3, Yamaha CS80 + MM6, Roland JX-3P + Mkb 1000 + Vk7 + D110, Alesis Quadrasynth plus, Haken Continuum fingerboard, Korg Radias + Lambda, Ensoniq SQ80, Waldorf Blofeld, Creamware Prodyssey + B4000, Use Audio Plugiator, Arp Axxe ....and some soft synths.

Last edited by slammah2012 on Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:49 am; edited 2 times in total
nemmo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get better monitors. I only discovered "The Power of Radias" when i got decent monitors.
slammah2012

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my Mackie HR824 should just about suffice as "decent monitors".
They did cost about the price of 2 radias units 3 years ago...

Although I did like my old Genelecs for imaging better,I guess anything on an SSL G plus meter bridge will sound good.... Crying or Very sad

What are you using in your control room Nemmo???

Currently running, Hammond M3, Yamaha CS80 + MM6, Roland JX-3P + Mkb 1000 + Vk7 + D110, Alesis Quadrasynth plus, Haken Continuum fingerboard, Korg Radias + Lambda, Ensoniq SQ80, Waldorf Blofeld, Creamware Prodyssey + B4000, Use Audio Plugiator, Arp Axxe ....and some soft synths.
botega

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice... i just sold my HR824 last month, these are powerful monitors
slammah2012

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

botega wrote:
nice... i just sold my HR824 last month, these are powerful monitors

They are also quite revealing.... you hear what's there,

good things sound good , bad things sound bad ,

unlike systems where everything sounds good......
hackjack

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: well its in box .. Reply with quote

and ready go back to the shop

("* From my own viewpoint the Radias filters have a tendency to sound rather clean and timid (gimme a fat MS20 filter, any day!). " from Timo")

and he is very right

i can't take it were i want to.

yes there loads pros for the Radias from what Timo said in

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25604&start=0

just not for me , i did think it would have deeper sound.

but evey one has different taste (make's the world go round)

i think i will wait until The nord wave comes out 's
botega

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too bad - but not that bad...

i hope you'll have better luck with the next synth - only this time be more sure with what you're buying

best of luck
Unknown Sound

Location: On a small island just off the coast of an island not to far from Antarctica

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your initial response was very similar to mine when I first got the RADIAS home. I too have a Prophecy and thought the RADIAS just wasn't Phat!

However...

Yes it is clean sounding and does have a certain digital character but once you start tweaking you find you can have your Fat along with the Sweets. But...the Filter is probably the weakest part of the voice architecture (compared to some other VAs).

I also ended up getting a Virus TI which is indeed more Analog sounding than the RADIAS. It can really do the ARP, Oberheim, Moog stuff really well (shame about the OS bugs though!). The real interesting thing is that the RADIAS and Virus compliment each other brilliantly in a mix.

Example:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=174602&highlight=#174602

As for Nord, I find their character leans more towards the RADIAS sound than the Virus. The moral here is that there is no one synth that will do it all.

-US.
botega

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unknown Sound wrote:
The moral here is that there is no one synth that will do it

Amen
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal RADIAS must be a special edition by all accounts ... I was just using it for a nice dirty bass in a piece and it stepped up to the plate and was full fat.

I did the following starting from an init proggie :

1) Set OSC1 to Triangle and enable Cross Mod and set Mod Depth to 20 or so.
2) Turn up OSC2 in the Mixer section and set OSC2 to Triangle and start playing with the OSC2 Fine Tune (OSC2 is cross modding OSC1).

** cross modding OSC1/2 this way creates plenty of material to push into the filter -- this is key if you want the filters to actually be do something when you modulate them with EG/LFO/Velocity **

3) Set Filter1 to LPF24 and turn Cutoff way down ... and use a little EG1 Int and EG1 set to just do the AD thing, to allow more of the harmonics through at key on.

4) Set the Drive type to Drive and the Depth to about 25. Don't set Drive Depth too high, the lower ranges are where the fat bottomed but not distorted sounds are to be had.

5) Stick whatever effects on it you fancy. Stick the Limiter on there and use it to crank the gain (Gain Adjust) ... disgracefully wrong misuse but fun.

To my ear this sounds as strong and full as anything else I could put hands here, including my (contemporary) actual analog pieces.

No twinkling Wink

Daz.

p.s. I can't remember if it was in this thread, but there was a couple of references to thin/bright regarding the sound of the Radias. If you use the high cut EQ provided for each timbre, to cut away those extra highs and then bring up the volume some ... you'll get what is perceived to be a "warmer" sound. It tickles me that many much loved attributes of different synths come from their inabilities. One mans "warm" is another mans "lame filter, that chops off everything above 16kHz even when cutoff is set to max". It's like the self res topic I was just enjoying joining in with ... self res happens 'cos of extraneous noise. The noise batting around in an analog synth is a bad thing for some, but in that context it's a good thing for others. Oh, unless you wanted the filter to behave consistently of course. I sometimes find the tendency of low pass filters to self resonate a little easily, really annoying.
hackjack

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

yes well i did get my money back

i did think RADIAS was going to be some thing ground breaking

but its not buy a long long way ;( (ground breaking ... few cracks in the road) may just one crack) .. well none realy RADIAS has mmm let me think ..erm ... sorry i can't think of any thing new

and to DAZ you don't buy nice car so you can switch everything off..

Korg must have huge re-think . were they realy want to go .. becuase right know there not .

i not cross at all with Korg .. i love all my prophey's but too be head of the game .. must think harder come up with OMG got get this !!! (i thnk they have done it with m3) but not with Radias any one thinking getting M3 .. get one right now......... ***** stars from me for M3 11/10 for m3 .. what a keyboard !!!
botega

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: yes Reply with quote

hackjack wrote:
yes well i did get my money back

i did think RADIAS was going to be some thing ground breaking

but its not buy a long long way ;( (ground breaking ... few cracks in the road) may just one crack) .. well none realy RADIAS has mmm let me think ..erm ... sorry i can't think of any thing new

and to DAZ you don't buy nice car so you can switch everything off..

Korg must have huge re-think . were they realy want to go .. becuase right know there not .

i not cross at all with Korg .. i love all my prophey's but too be head of the game .. must think harder come up with OMG got get this !!! (i thnk they have done it with m3) but not with Radias any one thinking getting M3 .. get one right now......... ***** stars from me for M3 11/10 for m3 .. what a keyboard !!!

at least you got your money back...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: