Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M3 Vs. Oasys
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pilgrim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Hendry wrote:
Pilgrim John and Leah,

thanks for the review. I was wondering about that.
Again, thanks. John^^

Glad to be of some help, John. . .
Leah helped with the post after I wrote several paragraphs and trashed them.
We are just too enthusiastic about Korg, the OASYS and the M3. . . and
Karma.
We both have un-damaged hearing and I have years of rather odd mixing
experience (multi-media).
We left out many details regarding our care in choosing quality instruments.
Sequenced and keyboard music is all we do and much of it for others.

My work flow has always included a notebook for MIDI or a hardware
sequencer (RM1x, QY22 for portable).
I never audition any tone generator with effects. Korg makes it easy to shut
them off. We did compare. Korg's new effects are really great-sounding.

Our next purchase project is to somehow use analog mixdown summing
selectively when called for. And at least one 1-bit recording device (MR-
1000 !!!) to preserve any nuances painstakingly obtained.

Our VS-2480 still sounds great and our current audio routing is all digital
through an RME DSP box controlled by the notebook.
Crazy as it is, LIVE! is my favorite MIDI arranger (Session View) but no
sysex so only for notes. Great work flow with quick setup microkontrol.
I do suspect that an OASYS sequencer update is in the works. I do wonder
what and when the "next generation" OASYS will materialize. Too easy to
upgrade this one. Korg has only barely gotten started, really.

Enjoy
and thanks. .
Pilgrim
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilgrim wrote:

I do suspect that an OASYS sequencer update is in the works. Too easy to
upgrade this one. Korg has only barely gotten started, really.

Hello

Its curious to find so many statemets in this regard, and so many people suspecting that a sequencer update for the OASYS is in the works, when everythig points, sadly, to the opposite. Rolling Eyes

Lets wait and see how this turns out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atleast something like this would be much apreciated, since OASYS is a touch screen, and if AOSYS had a sequencer as software does, it would definatly beat all software, imagine how easy it would be to use key edit and alike with a touch screen and buttons, opposed to a mouse...
come on, KORG....
Angel
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Vadim

Your picture is fantastic, man. Smile
This is what WE ALL are requesting, simply amazing that you have come to compose it in a graphic format.

I´m going to link this in the Oasys section if you dont mind.

Thanx for the effort and regards.

PD: Yep, ... C´mon Korg!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
John Hendry wrote:
.............I always wonder when people cannot hear "much" difference from the Oasys to the Triton or other brands. To my ears the Oasys sounds twice as good as anything out there. I also wonder when I more often than not see the Triton run in mono live.

I always wonder that, too. It's just REALLY puzzling to me how people even HAVE the nerve to say that "it sounds like a souped up Triton." GET A GRIP, people!

Hmm my $.02 : (I Assume you're an OA$Y$ owner defending your purchase) I tried out the O when it first came out and sat down for a good hour or so in a quiet room. Obviously I only scratched the surface in that amount of time, but I came away with the "Souped up Triton" opinion too. Of course it's quite different, but certainly has that "Flavor" which is probably intentional.

I thought some sounds were good, but others (Notably acoustic stuff) left me wanting for more. I felt at that price point I would no longer have interest in the PC/Gigasampler type libraries. Perhaps that's a bit unfair, but I was surprised when there were areas in the sound set that I thought were weak! (Can't remember which those were at this point) To be honest, soundwise I walked away MUCH more impressed from the Yamaha XS. The only other thing that bothered me about the O was it was so big it was nearly overwhelming, but that touch screen/GUI and OS were beyond my wildest dreams and I give big kudos to korg on that.

The M3 I thought sounded very similar to the O when I auditioned it (The OS certainly is similar looking!), but with even more weak spots. The only strong suits I thought it had was the electronic stuff and the drums. The rest....meh! The hardware looked nice but felt very cheap/flimsy.

Before you call me a Yammy fanboy, note I am not certain I'll buy an XS as I do have some gripes about that too. I'm waiting til Namm to see if Roland Announces anything before making a decision for my next upgrade.

Sina172 wrote:

The Burr-Brown DAC's are one of 3 things that give the OASYS its sound.

The Second thing is that the Oscillators do NOT alias.

The last thing is that the Samples in the OASYS are uncompressed AND (in some cases), STEREO.

I'll go with you on this, for what's there the sounds are very clean.

Sina172 wrote:

This isn't a Toyota Avalon or even a Mercedes S-Class, for that matter. this is a ROLLS ROYCE, Lamborghini, or Ferrari equivalent. How often does Lamborghini make a new flagship car?

I've always felt the O was rather an Infinity or Lexus dressed up and sold as a "Rolls Royce". It's been gone over countless times, but there are a LOT of things on the O that were not state of the art/bleeding edge when it came out and it should have been in EVERY respect.

The most revolutionary things about the O (IMO) were:

-The OS/platform, expandability, and number of sound engines.
-Obscenely HUGE ROM for soundset (Yet compared to the XS at a fraction of the size and even "Compressed" makes the O seem bloated and inefficient IMO)
-oh...and Karma 2 I suppose. (Interesting, just not my thing)

General opinion is the sequncer/audio tracks was an afterthought, or just not nearly as much thought put into it as the synth section(s).

Being that now the Pentium/MB in the O are now ancient in the computer world, one only wonders if they'll do a drop in upgrade with current stuff. This is a BIG assumption on my part, but assuming the results (Increased perfromance) would be worth it, how hard could it be? Most of these components all follow standard protocols and x86 has been around forever.

So in closing I do hear a difference with the OA$Y$ and M3, though it's not mind blowing. Yet still similar to the Triton series because it's got that "Korg" Flavor. Oddly enough I thought the M3 sounded more different from the Triton than the O, but that's probably just because of the programming.

Anyhow, there an answer from the dark side you didn't ask for. Twisted Evil
MrT-Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first auditioned an M3 side by side with the Oasys (on cheap monitors in a noisy music store) I couldn't hear a huge difference between the two. I came back with high quality headphones (shure E500) and THEN I could hear a very clear difference.

At any rate, here's how I justified the cost of the Oasys to myself, vs. the M3, Motif, etc:

Korg M3 - 73: $2,900
Access Virus TI Desktop: $2,000 (i.e. closest thing to AL-1 and LAC-1 engines in the Oasys, I guess?)
Value of having a big touchscreen with slick UI: $500
Value of having integrated mutlitrack audio recording: $500
Value (to me, anyway) of STR-1 and CX-3: $500
Value of all other incremental features (better sound quality, future expandability, ability to expand sample ram to 2gb, integrated hard drive & CDRW, control surface...): at least $500, if not more
= about $7,000, i.e. roughly the street price for an Oasys 76.

I think the Oasys gets a bad rap on the pricing front. It's not perfect, and it's certainly lacking in some areas, but with respect to pricing, I don't think that Korg deserves the scorn and derision they've gotten (like on the harmony central message boards). Is the Oasys cheap? No. Is it worth what they're charging for it? In my view, yes (saying this as someone who just bought one recently!).
Pilgrim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT-Man wrote:
When I first auditioned an M3 side by side with the Oasys (on cheap monitors in a noisy music store) I couldn't hear a huge difference between the two. I came back with high quality headphones (shure E500) and THEN I could hear a very clear difference.

At any rate, here's how I justified the cost of the Oasys to myself, vs. the M3, Motif, etc:

Korg M3 - 73: $2,900
Access Virus TI Desktop: $2,000 (i.e. closest thing to AL-1 and LAC-1 engines in the Oasys, I guess?)
Value of having a big touchscreen with slick UI: $500
Value of having integrated mutlitrack audio recording: $500
Value (to me, anyway) of STR-1 and CX-3: $500
Value of all other incremental features (better sound quality, future expandability, ability to expand sample ram to 2gb, integrated hard drive & CDRW, control surface...): at least $500, if not more
= about $7,000, i.e. roughly the street price for an Oasys 76.

I think the Oasys gets a bad rap on the pricing front.
<Snip>
Is it worth what they're charging for it? In my view, yes (saying this as someone who just bought one recently!).

+1 Very Happy

Pilgrim John
Dr.InnoVation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT-Man wrote:
Putting the feature lists aside, though, does anyone have any thoughts on how the actual sound from the M3 compares to the HD-1 engine on the Oasys? Does the M3 still sound pretty darn good in comparison, or lo-fi, or what? How apparent would the difference be if you had a blindfold on?

The difference is there in headroom and bandwidth...
If you were blindfolded you would know which one is which! M3 is decent but it is no Oasys and wasn't really made to compete with an 8,000.00 flagship keyboard. It isn't lo-fi but definitely not High definition of synth sounds thats for sure. The Oasys is just deep.

IF you have the coin I recommend getting an Oasys. It is that great sounding in comparison to the M3. The M3 is using new sound engine based off the Oasys but def NOT the same.

These are my thoughts after A/B both boards on the same monitors @ GC in El Toro California.
SoundClick Page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=868853
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:

NuSkool,

This has NOTHING to do with me defending my OASYS, whatsoever, and for you to even come up with that statement CLEARLY shows that you've COMPLETELY missed the point of my post. Period.

Now, if you can, spend ONE MONTH with the OASYS and just watch that opinion change IMMENSELY. People that knock it down, say this, say that about it, simply ARE NOT SPENDING ENOUGH TIME WITH IT! Oh and ONE HOUR one time, doesn't even scratch the surface. I've had mine for 3 MONTHS and STILL haven't scratched the surface!

For you to even say that the Samples are obscenely huge, then you obviously haven't heard about the Vienna Symphonic Library which costs ALMOST $7,000, and over a HALF A TERABYTE of sample data and 800,000 SAMPLES! $500 MORE and you can get an OASYS! Now, in comparison to THAT, is the OASYS STILL overpriced?

I actually have an M3 as well at the house right now. My friend just got it and let me borrow it to see how it compares to the OASYS, so he can see it in action for himself. The M3 doesn't come anywhere NEAR the OASYS is terms of sound quality.

It does have some advantages over the OASYS I will admit, but when you look at the bigger picture, the OASYS will outweigh that by 1000 MILES!

Having the OASYS for 3 months and having an M3 to compare it too, this is the result after ONE DAY:

The M3 sounds MUFFLED in comparison! It's not even CLOSE! It sounds really good by itself, by in comparison to the OASYS, don't even bother. It's THAT big a difference!

The OASYS is worh EVERY penny, and if you have a chance to spend at least a month with it, you'll without a question understand that, too.

I'm sorry if I sound anal, but I have little to NO tolerance for people saying its overpriced or just saying things that make NO sense. It's NOT a matter of opinion either. It's a matter of spending some time with it and REALLY going deep inside its parameters and seeing what its capable of. Thats the bottom line. Period!

Sinal,

I mentioned the fact that you own an O in passing, as a possible factor, but as the basis of your post(s). Sorry you interpreted it different!

Without a doubt the O is a DEEP instrument and it would take years to master. Though strictly from a SOUNDS point of view, you'd think it would bowl me over in EVERY sense with an hour audition wouldn't you? Assuming the raw material is there, then the Korg programmers did the O a disservice there. However I feel that is NOT the case, and the O simply isn't "perfect" where at its price point many would argue it should (For current state of the art) be.

When I say the sample rom set is "Obscenely huge", I mean for a workstation. Yes in comparison to Gigasampler libraries etc., it is a fraction of what you could acquire. I was also arguing I think the Yamaha's XS got more done Mb vs. MB in the ROM sounds as some things impressed me much more (given 2 years later!) than the O. The Vienna is a great example of how much libraries CAN cost, though I was expecting more from the O where I'd not want to bother with libraries.

I have no disagreement regarding the M3 vs. Oasys in quality. The M3, I just felt was "Similar" but not nearly as good, with a few unique new twists. For all intents, a non-upgradeable "Oasys lite" (Yes I know many HATE that analogy)

What the Oasys sells for and what it is "Worth" are certainly debatable, the latter dependent on the individual. I don't know, but my comments based on my experience and what I've read make perfect sense to me and honestly that's all I need to know at this point as I have no intent on purchasing an O for the foreseeable future.

I'm not saying it's not an amazing, deep, and capable machine, but for whatever reason I was expecting more. I think it set a great precedent for what is possible, and I hope the Oasys is the next K2000 (As in 10 years of non-obsolescence). Assuming some major updates, I think in a few years the O will be everything we (The other half) expected. If not, certainly with whatever the next gen O is. I mean EVENTUALLY there's got to be a ceiling on how good a workstation can get! At that point it's just your desired flavor.
rfoshaug

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
Having the OASYS for 3 months and having an M3 to compare it too, this is the result after ONE DAY:

The M3 sounds MUFFLED in comparison! It's not even CLOSE! It sounds really good by itself, by in comparison to the OASYS, don't even bother. It's THAT big a difference!

If you have access to both M3 and Oasys, and the M3 sounds MUFFLED in comparison, could you please post some sound files to show us this? The M3 (and I would assume the Oasys too) has the option of sampling what you play directly to wav files on the USB storage medium. This way you preserve perfect sound quality without the sound being colored by analog equipment.

Instead of telling us how big the difference is, why not show us? Register a free account on Putfile.com and let us download the uncompressed wav files that haven't gone through anything analog so that we can compare.

Pick an example of sounds where the difference is the most obvious.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sina172"][quote="NuSkoolTone"]
Sina172 wrote:
John Hendry wrote:
.............I always wonder when people cannot hear "much" difference from the Oasys to the Triton or other brands. To my ears the Oasys sounds twice as good as anything out there. I also wonder when I more often than not see the Triton run in mono live.

I actually have an M3 as well at the house right now. My friend just got it and let me borrow it to see how it compares to the OASYS, so he can see it in action for himself. The M3 doesn't come anywhere NEAR the OASYS is terms of sound quality.

It does have some advantages over the OASYS I will admit, but when you look at the bigger picture, the OASYS will outweigh that by 1000 MILES!

on the M3, if you go to pg 17 of Global Parameters, there is Muffler
' check box'. Simply uncheck it

Sheeeessh, I thought everyone new this
ricky recordo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Thanks Greg! I unchecked the "Muffler" option and now I've got bats flying like crazy all around the studio, and dogs yelping at the door, so I'm gonna have to re-enable "Muffler".
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricky recordo wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing Thanks Greg! I unchecked the "Muffler" option and now I've got bats flying like crazy all around the studio, and dogs yelping at the door, so I'm gonna have to re-enable "Muffler".

Yes, you have unwittingly fallen into my trap and have opened up the Gates of Hell

After you uncheck the Muffler box, your only hope is to eat many cloves of garlic and stay up all night
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: