Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does the Radias sound analogue ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How does the Radias sound to you ?
100 % Analogue
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mostly Analogue, but it does make good digital sounds
26%
 26%  [ 11 ]
A mix of Digital and Analogue
30%
 30%  [ 13 ]
Mostly Digital, but it can sound analogue some times
35%
 35%  [ 15 ]
100% Digital
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 42

nemmo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Does the Radias sound analogue ? Reply with quote

I think it sounds really analogue compared to my other synths, but some people think it sounds digital. What's your opinion ?
embry0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted: "Mostly Analogue, but it does make good digital sounds".
Know the basics of synthesis, after that it's all about tweaking.
It's as analogue as you want it to be. "Use your wrists Luke".

Proud owner of >RADIAS-R+RDKB|microX|KP3
slammah2012

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

embry0 wrote:
Voted: "Mostly Analogue, but it does make good digital sounds".
Know the basics of synthesis, after that it's all about tweaking.
It's as analogue as you want it to be. "Use your wrists Luke".

It is not as analog as you want it to be
It is a Digital Synth that can "digitally" reproduce some of the ocillator waveforms that are known to exist on Analog Synths....
As soon as we moved away from VCOs (Analog) or DCOs(hybrid)in the early 80s, Synthesis moved away from the Confines of SINE<SAW<SQUARE<PWidth<TRIANGLE.....with keyboards such as the korg DW6000/8000, the (fm) Yamaha DX-7, (PCM)Roland D50(linear partial synths) Ensoniq Mirage(sampler)......with the Digitizing of waveforms comes Aliasing, (Sample rate shift on wave frequency)...
As we Excell in Digital , the Sample rates increase and the effect of aliasing diminishes... with dithering.....
To the ear and Eye , the Radias can recreate samples of Sine,Saw,Square,Triangle,also benifiting with PW in all waveforms,
But these waveforms do not look like the waveforms of a VCO as each one had its own character...there was no true sine,saw,square triangle on any analog synth, but they were Sonic because there was Voltage behind the sound that drove the "audio" through "real" filters and onto the Amp stage.....
I would like to be able to send an mp3 or wav of a real VCO wave form, ....but that would no longer be analog as wav files and mp3s make digital samples of analog content....
I do like the sound of the Crunch as the Radias tries for "analog", and although no newer synth (except maybe the Andromeda) can claim to be as analog as you want it to be, It is a good instrument within it's flexible scope.......
Currently running, Hammond M3, Yamaha CS80 + MM6, Roland JX-3P + Mkb 1000 + Vk7 + D110, Alesis Quadrasynth plus, Haken Continuum fingerboard, Korg Radias + Lambda, Ensoniq SQ80, Waldorf Blofeld, Creamware Prodyssey + B4000, Use Audio Plugiator, Arp Axxe ....and some soft synths.
nemmo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, the question is: does it sound analogue to you ? We all know it is a digital Virtual Analogue Synth. But i'm very pleased with the sound.
slammah2012

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, the question is: does it sound analogue to you ? We all know it is a digital Virtual Analogue Synth. But i'm very pleased with the sound.

I Answered the question with the poll ..."Mostly Digital".. so much for a quiet vote...

then I replied to the Comment
Quote:
it is as Analogue as you want it to be...

It is an obvious statement when I reply..."No it isn't as Analogue as you
want it to be...." It is Digital........ Sure , its a no brainer, but who else here really knows the power of real Analogue Synthesis...really....What do you base
your vote on besides other digital representations???

Are there many here who still have the Analog pieces thet can atest their position with???

If people are basing True Analogue based on a CD they purchased or on any other digital representation, they really have no Analogue Basis to
compare to.... unless they drag out some Vinyl or good Quality Tape, all
they could compare it with is the real deal......
I have A Yamaha CS80, Hammond M3,Elka Strings, along with a dollup of 80/90s digital gakk.... and some Newer digital Gakk like the Creamware
ASB b4000 and ASB Prodyssey..... Which do some Awesome "Analogue" sounds out of a Digital box with knobs
.... much closer than the Radias....Although the Radias can do some neat stuff that Analogue based synths cannot do...

Currently running, Hammond M3, Yamaha CS80 + MM6, Roland JX-3P + Mkb 1000 + Vk7 + D110, Alesis Quadrasynth plus, Haken Continuum fingerboard, Korg Radias + Lambda, Ensoniq SQ80, Waldorf Blofeld, Creamware Prodyssey + B4000, Use Audio Plugiator, Arp Axxe ....and some soft synths.
Khazul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the Radias sound analogue ? Reply with quote

nemmo wrote:
I think it sounds really analogue compared to my other synths, but some people think it sounds digital. What's your opinion ?

Erm - have you ever used an analog subtractive synth?

The filter sounds digital - no disguising that. Even with the filters wide open, the oscs still sounds digital if you play up and down the keyboard - and thats just OSC 1 which we know is where the high quality modelling is focussed.

--- The Studio & Noises ----- Adam G @ MySpace ---
chinard
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but does it go to 11?
embry0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I meant with my statement was:

Virtuality is all about imagination, and as far my imagination goes
the Radias sound as analogue as i want it to be, that's why
i never got a Phatty or an Evolver in the first place.

Analogue is Analogue, Digital can be Analogue virtually,
never physically, but spiritually, and that's Radias to me.
Just my two cents, hope i didn't start a war or anything.

c:/>out of imaginative memory error

Proud owner of >RADIAS-R+RDKB|microX|KP3
gdh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted that it was sort of a mix btn the 2, but then when I was tearing my setup apart to head out to the west coast for a few weeks, I remembered that I am running it through a tube pre/comp which I feel helps its phatten its sound. Like slammah I've had so many of the "old and now revered" synths such as the mini d, mellotron, b3, wurly and many more that through the late 60's and 70's we had to haul around from gig to gig. My back still has not forgiven me so while I have some fond memories of the old gear I prefer the new like radias, A6 and Voyager. Just sold the Jup 8, I have the same sort of outlook like Tony Banks I guess that I don't get too attached to the older gear other than my mini d that I've had since the early 70's. New analogue is not really the same as the 70's with DCO etc. that control the drift but those of us who gigged thoughout the 70's remember the physical size and weight of these and that knot in your stomach when it just quits on stage at usually the most inapproriate moment in front of a few thousand of your "best friends". Slammah I applaud you for taking the CS-80 on tour, a friend is with The Who and is continually fixing the B3, there is a reason why new Kurzweil's are used by them. I like the Creamware gear and am eagerly awaiting the Origin and Solaris to compare for sound quality but going back to the vintage - not a chance my back just won't let me and quite frankly I would rather have the reliability and flexibility of the new as well.
Hugo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chinard:
Quote:
but does it go to 11?

Awesome Wink Awesome to the max... Very Happy Cool
aafanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a funny discussion. It really doesn't matter to me how similar it sounds to other synths, or types of synths, I bought the Radias because I wanted it. I kept it because I like the way it sounds AND it works well with my other gear. I have owned almost every synth that I ever wanted, because I am a gear whore.
The three that I have enjoyed the way they sound the most would be:
Yamaha FS1R ( a pain to program)
Roland V-Synth (better for on track at a time)
and Roland SH-32 (did not respond well to external midi)
I liked the way these three synths sounded but they didn't fit in well with the way that I work. If I am spending more time configuring than I am creating then forget it. I don't want to use a VC to midi converter. I never really liked the way the Andromeda sounded, or the Waldorf Q with twelve analogue filters that most likely sank that company.
I like synths that sound great, but I love synths that get the work done.
DimensionFour

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aafanatic wrote:

...I liked the way these three synths sounded but they didn't fit in well with the way that I work. If I am spending more time configuring than I am creating then forget it. I don't want to use a VC to midi converter. I never really liked the way the Andromeda sounded, or the Waldorf Q with twelve analogue filters that most likely sank that company.
I like synths that sound great, but I love synths that get the work done.

So true. People get fond on those big old telephone booths in a era of digital world like it would matter. To me it starts to develop more like a collectors items to show off than instruments.
I have a friend that has the arp 2600 and he always talks about this machine how good how cool and blah blah but till this day (and I know him for over 5 years now) i never heard a single sound of the arp in any of his mix.
It's like old cars. Good to go out with it on sunday but no daily driver that's for sure (they are exeptions from this rule of course but barely noticable imo).

people got used to the digital sound and since current VA's do actuall;y quita a nice job reproducing old stuff (just check Nord Lead 2X reproduction of Prophet 5 patches) we just simply live with it.
slammah2012

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used A Hammond Organ and Yamaha CS80 on every Album/CD Our band has released....1980-2007
I have yet to use my Radias (still in the repair shop) on anything other than a demo...The same holds true with Virtual instruments or Soft synths...
I have used Quadra synths, and Roland D50, Jx3Ps, Arp Axxe, Emu Proteus, along with the Organ and Cs80 on these releases as time moved along....
I have yet to Track my Creamware ASB B4000 and Prodyssey to a disc, however they are soon to be added with the big ol 80 and Leslie rig....

Who knows .... maybe the Radias could prop up in the mix somewhere in the future....when it eventually comes home...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: