Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yamaha XS...is the top!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roland2003

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Yamaha XS...is the top!! Reply with quote

guy..XS is top of the line!!
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha XS...is the top!! Reply with quote

roland2003 wrote:
guy..XS is top of the line!!

Top of line of what? WV cars? Food chain? Smile

Say what? Yamaha XS? What's Yamaha XS, btw? Some new motorbike? Smile Or are you referring to Motif XS? In that case, my first pair of questions stand Smile
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No panic, I found it.

According to Google, this is the Yamaha XS.

Cool !!!!.

Sharp.

Linked from.
http://www.japsirauta.fi
Unknown Sound

Location: On a small island just off the coast of an island not to far from Antarctica

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I own a VFR750.

I wonder when Honda will start producing synths? I'd buy one Cool

-US.
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unknown Sound wrote:
Actually I own a VFR750.
I wonder when Honda will start producing synths? I'd buy one Cool
-US.

Dude, where have you been? They HAVE!!!! Smile And the first thing they do when they name a keyboard, they look into their motorbike history Wink
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Future Music, who did a comparison between the XS and the M3 - Yamaha XS is top of the Dump pile line - Korg M3 got an award through this magazine. I still need to listen to an XS though and come to my own conclusion. And of course Yamaha's 4 x baby arps are superiour to Karma-2. Right?

Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth1 wrote:
According to Future Music, who did a comparison between the XS and the M3 - Yamaha XS is top of the Dump pile line - Korg M3 got an award through this magazine. I still need to listen to an XS though and come to my own conclusion. And of course Yamaha's 4 x baby arps are superiour to Karma-2. Right?
Billy

I did a three-session-more-then-6-hours-of-A-B in January at NAMM, and wrote an article about it. And I had quite a few opportunities to test XS more afterwards while I'm still waiting for the M3 to arrive. My original thoughts remained unchanged. M3 sounds damn good and Karma kicks ass, as well as the XY pad-thingy that's pretty cool.
ricky recordo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both an XS and an M3 in the same room, billy - don't underestimate the XS "baby" arps until you get your grubby little mitts on 'em like I did, and even after you do have your way with them, you'll still underestimate their power becuase you'll need to learn to speak Yamaha-ese to get the best out of them.

Lesser men simply will of necessity wuss out and settle for an M3 without giving the XS a fair hearing. Being an Aussie of course, you're man enough to watch the blood spill as the M3 and the XS go head-to-head? Wink.

No spoonfed insta-grat Pablum to be found in the XS... just awesome sounds, along with awesome jams.

I jest of course, they're both equally awesome fixes for any real man's music habit.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth1 wrote:

Billy

Thats Quite surprising with FM the last time I read,(Or even bought that toilet rag some 3 years ago) they didn't even understand how you switch a workstation on,they only seemed to rate anything that had the "Groovebox" label or needed a mouse to utilise it,there last in depth review of a Korg workstation I read was the Triton and that graced,yes wait for it.........2 pages and 60% of the space were taken up with pictures..Stopped buying that pile of crap when Editor Andy Jones left,since then its aimed at your pubescent wannabee Bedroom DJ,all they ever did since then was recycle older Magazine material,they had already gone over several times in various Issues..Most of the reviews on Hardware synths tended to be pinched (or copied word for word in some cases)off the Literature in Brochures from the said Manufacturers
LEVEL4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, both the Yamaha ES- and XS-series REALLY rock, as far as rompler soundsets go. I had and ES8, but for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to do anything with it, and finally ended up losing my patience with it (so, I got a Fantom-X instead). I probably should've just kept it. But I'd love to pick up a Motif Rack ES module someday. Or even better, an XS module, should they come out with one.
popcorn
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder when Honda will start producing synths? I'd buy one

HAHAHA...I'm after one Suzuki - XK1 aka Hammond XK1

Don
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

popcorn wrote:
Quote:
I wonder when Honda will start producing synths? I'd buy one

Will they call it an "Accord"ion.....

Sorry for the lame Pun!!!
LEVEL4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, jeez, Kontrol49 . . . I "just" got it! HA!
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally had a chance to audition the XS in 3 different stores today. Frankly, I wasn't that impressed - the arps, the sounds etc., just didn't do anything for me. Of course that could be the result of being spoiled by my OASYS.

I don't know what it is. Some people swear by their Yammies, others by their Rolands, and again some love Korg. For me, nothing touches the OASYS sound. I just finished rebuilding my studio and the O is the centre of it all. Everything else is peripheral.

My 2 cents worth.

Cheers,
Eric

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
DimensionFour

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, any synth with a sequencer on board is just another box.
Editing capabilities are usually WAY lower than on any VAs and that's why I don't like about them.

I wouldn't mins a OASYS as it simply sounds good but I'm pretty sure it would be sold after 3-4 months max. All those expansions wouldn't help either.

I just like to start it all from a simple sine wave Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: