Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KP3 ext ctrl - more than one set of programs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
machinochrist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: KP3 ext ctrl - more than one set of programs? Reply with quote

Hey,

Im trying to use my kp3 to control ableton and what ive got it set up to do is trigger hits and loops in ext ctrl mode so i can make new loops and trigger different sounds while the backing of my set continues to play. However i was wondering if anyone knew if there was more than one program for external control mode (ie so you could turn a nob or something and all of the midi cc numbers would be different so you could trigger different things)
seems to me that that would make the unit totally amazing cos you could trigger a massive number of different things and really do some wicked stuff, is it possible though? if anyone knows please do tell me cos i cant find anything in the manual about this at all.
decrepitude

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would indeed be a cool feature. Basically, predetermined sets (hence the term 'presets') for midi control that can be called up any time. That would definately rock, and many of the newest controllers (m-audio) have that capability. I would imagine Korg could implement this in a firmware release, perhaps with a combination of the shift-key with another key to invoke or toggle between 'presets mode' and then (perhaps) the upper 8 buttons would be available to toggle from one preset to another.

The only way to do it currently is with saving the entire control setup as a .KPG file (Global Data) into the available 10 memory locations for 'global data' (0–9.KPG) and call them up as needed. I've never tried this, so I don't know what the load time is for a .KPG. (I'm hoping fast!)

Another route might be to setup some creative midi conversion filters natively in Live, and then toggle/mute the filters as needed. Obviously more complex than the former method.
machinochrist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, what i was thinking is that you could use the program/midi button in ext ctrl mode to move between them (and possibly an enter key of some kind, something not being used) cos as far as i can tell in external control the program button does nothing except scroll from 0 to 128. Imagine if you could store 128 different assignable midi maps to the controller (that you could edit in the software too) how awesome would that be.
If it was combined with someone elses idea to make all the different pad lights into assignable triggers you could do some crazy stuff.

How do you switch between the assignable global data files on the controller. i dont think ive seen anything about that before. if you could switch between 10 that would at least be a partial fix for my problem for now
decrepitude

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit shift-load, then turn the program/bpm dial until you see 'global'. Then, press down on the dial to see the available 9 global settings. The memory number will have a set of parenthesis around it in the LED, if that memory slot has something saved to it. (This is true for any saved sample, program, 'all file, etc. AND when saving files so you can see which memory slots are used and which are still available [no parenthesis]). <<<Not discussed in the manual - good question!)

Hey, when you try this - please report back the actual load time for the global data. Hopefully it's only a fraction of a second.
logic_user99

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I need an SD Card to do this? I'm trying to find the setting where my X/Y pad gets turned into 8 faders and cannot for the life of me work out how to do it...

Turning the program knob when in Ext. mode does f*** all... not a clue!
oish1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logic_user99 - if you use the kaoss pad computer software, in the settings for ext. ctrl. there is a picture of the kaoss pads with all of the available cc's from the buttons of the device. there is a a drop down below the pad in which you can select the type of controls the pad uses in ext ctrl mode with all of the different fader options. you then can save this to the KP and it will be there when you go into ext ctrl mode.
chrysalis33rpm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^can somebody here be a little more specific about this external control method? like, what can you actually do besides turn the screen into volume faders? I am really curious about the KP3 but can't justify buying one if I have no info on this, and its barely mentionned in the manual.
ijed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^
check out the kp3 editor manual
http://www.korg.com/service/downloadinfo.asp?DID=1265

everything midiable can be tweaked up in there
chrysalis33rpm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks.
chrysalis33rpm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ijed wrote:
^^^
check out the kp3 editor manual
http://www.korg.com/service/downloadinfo.asp?DID=1265

everything midiable can be tweaked up in there

So that was really helpful, but it doesn't seem to include info about the different patterns available with the touch screen in external control mode. Can anyody with experience chime in here?

And I'd like to reiterate the question asked above - how long is the load time between different presets in ext. ctl. mode?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: