Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg R3 Vocoder (need advice!)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzcat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Korg R3 Vocoder (need advice!) Reply with quote

Iīm having problems getting my singing(or pronouncing) more clear on the vocoder. All the presets have that same, mushy sound where you can only here mere traces of the actual singing.
All except Combcode, which to my surprise doesnīt use the vocoder-section, just the timbre 1, which means that i canīt tweek the settings that affect the actual vocoding without changing the sound.
Iīm trying to get that natural, almost human-like vocoding a la Herbie Hancock, if anybody is familiar..clear pronounciation and still lots of the carrier sound with it.
I read somewhere that tweaking the EQ might help, havenīt got the chance to try it yet. Any tips on that?
Should I start from an initialized program or start tweaking some preset to get that Herbie-sound?
iīd be really greateful for some info on this Smile
Oh, by the way, iīm using a korg R3
Thomas A.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg R3 Vocoder (need advice!) Reply with quote

jazzcat wrote:
Iīm having problems getting my singing(or pronouncing) more clear on the vocoder. All the presets have that same, mushy sound where you can only here mere traces of the actual singing.
All except Combcode, which to my surprise doesnīt use the vocoder-section, just the timbre 1, which means that i canīt tweek the settings that affect the actual vocoding without changing the sound.
Iīm trying to get that natural, almost human-like vocoding a la Herbie Hancock, if anybody is familiar..clear pronounciation and still lots of the carrier sound with it.
I read somewhere that tweaking the EQ might help, havenīt got the chance to try it yet. Any tips on that?
Should I start from an initialized program or start tweaking some preset to get that Herbie-sound?

Try another mic. I compared the SM58 with the R3's factory mic. It's like night and day. Another reason to change the mic: The neck of the R3's factory mic isn't damped enough. Select any vocoder patch, set the input level to mid sensitivity, play some keys a little bit harder and you'll hear what I mean Wink
thedvs01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg R3 Vocoder (need advice!) Reply with quote

Thomas A. wrote:
jazzcat wrote:

Try another mic. I compared the SM58 with the R3's factory mic. It's like night and day. Another reason to change the mic: The neck of the R3's factory mic isn't damped enough. Select any vocoder patch, set the input level to mid sensitivity, play some keys a little bit harder and you'll hear what I mean Wink

Presets 4 and 7 seem to be the clearest to me.

I like the way that the neck on the factory mic is, if you rub your finger / fingernail down the side you can sort of "play" the mic
jazzcat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: jea Reply with quote

Thx for the tips guys, but i still need more info. Would i be better off just tweaking some preset or creating an entirely new sound? I read somewhere that the sawtooth wave is a good place to start, but i canīt seem to get any clarity on the vocals when i start from scratch,..tips are welcome Smile
lunabass

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have an R3 but normally with a vocoder it can depend on the number of frequency bands the vocal is split into.

Old vocoders could be 4, 8 or 16 band, with new vocoders it can be up to 512. Find out if you can change that parameter in the R3 and if so, try changing it.
thedvs01

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hijack, but since this thread is already about the R3 Vocoder I figured I'd post here:

Any tips on how I could achieve a vocoder sound similar to the one on Beastie Boys' "Intergalactic" on my R3?
citrus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ha ha I tried looking for the intergalactic preset too, the second vocoder voice is good for that used with the mod wheel. In answer to the first post, i've not messed about with the vocoder that much, my initial stabs were a bit fruitless so its still something to be explored, Maybe if you want it sounding almost human, you could mix in the vocoding; half real half vocoded. Imogen heap did this extremely well, I read somewhere that she was using a DigiTech Vocalist Workstation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd2DeysnK3Q
Mobi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jazzcat,

I'm having exactly the same problem. The first preset is the vocoded voice im looking for but the carrier synth behind it is to loud and I want to turn it down so that the voice is nice and loud. Just like the vocoder on the new Just Jack song "Disco friends". (if you have heard or like him that is).

If I find out how to do it I will let you know.

Thanks
Mobi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzcat,

I've found out how to do this. It's as simple as turning the Audio input 1 down so it's only a turn up a quarter of the way. This takes away the loud synth carrier. Then turn your master volume up. Then go and add effects, like a bit of reverb.

This should work. It did for me using the first preset.

Mobi
gdh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

citrus wrote:
Imogen heap did this extremely well, I read somewhere that she was using a DigiTech Vocalist Workstation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd2DeysnK3Q

this sounds about right add in a bad Autune and you're there. Laughing
howifeel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have found that suits my ear is to move the panning of the upper bands to the center. I don't really think that panning every other band alternatively hard right and hard left is a good thing. Sounds wider at the expense of clarity. Maybe slight panning, or no panning, and use the effects to widen. Just messing with the band panning affects the sounds quite a bit. You may also try setting FC Mod and FC Offset to Zeroed out for starters. (this is with the R3 editing program, which makes programming easier). I was discouraged with the R3, personally, until I discovered the panning thing. Solved my discouragement. I am happy with it again.
howifeel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Clarity Live Reply with quote

Just wanted to mention that I have used it live and the stage volume will affect the clarity, as well. I learned that turning down input 1 knob to about 10 oclock (along with possibly changing the threshold, but not really necessary) promotes a very clear stage vocoder. Just fyi.
magneto

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, Hi everybody ... Smile ! I'm really a newbie here, i bought a Korg R3 just 2 days ago ... Since i'm mainly interested in its vocoder, (for live performances & studio recording), i think this is the right topic to put my question : I use the nice Korg Mic that comes with the instruments, it works well BUT it seems i can't avoid hearing something from the "Natural voice", even if i put the "direct level" to 0 ... this can be almost annoying, especially in recording ... the problem seems to become even bigger when i raise up the "HPF Level" to enhance te presence of the consonsonants and making the lyrics clearer ... Any Suggestion ? Maybe i have to edit input level & Threshold, or ... ??? Thank in advance
best Regards
jazzcat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: korg vocoder Reply with quote

thanks for the tips guys, have to start tweaking the vocoder again. Cool
jazzcat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: by the way Reply with quote

Oh by the way, how do the 16 band pass filters actually work, in laymans terms? How does tweaking the pans of each filter affect the sound?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: