Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What kind of drive can I use?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drew FM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: What kind of drive can I use? Reply with quote

What kind of connection or drive options are there that are compatable with the Triton Rack?
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi D.,

An unexpanded Triton Rack can use either floppy disks or MIDI/sysex (not for samples though!) for storage. The only other option is to install the EXB-SCSI expansion board and that will let you use SCSI compatible hard disks, optical drives etc. Do you have an EXB-SCSI already ? I don't know how easy that is to get hold of these days. eBay might be your best bet.

Here is the info for the board -> http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?A_PROD_NO=EXBSCSI

Once you have the board you can buy compatible SCSI devices and the appropriate cables from here :

http://www.scsiforsamplers.com/

HTH,

D.
Drew FM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the SCSI card for the rack. I guess I would use the Oasys for any custom samples I make myself. Most of the samples I have are for the Triton Studio on CDrom. Should I just get a SCSI read-only CD rom drive? Any downloads from the internet, I could just burn with my computer going this route, correct?

Well, If I needed the option to save data, do you recommend HD or Tape drive?

Thanks Daz

What an AWSOME sound combination this is turning out to be!!!! WOW!
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what sample formats you're downloading from the net. If they are all native Korg format then there is less of a need to save stuff. If it's Akai S1000/3000 or WAV/AIFF then having loaded the stuff into the Triton you'll ideally want to save it in native Korg format and so maybe a combined CD/HD or combined CD/Media card doodah would be the way to go. Media cards are great because you could plug those into your PC or Oasys with the right USB adapter.

I doubt the Triton would support a Tape drive.
milkojnr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the SCSI option in my rack and then got the internal drive for it.

It works great.

Here is the link for the site to get it from:
http://musitronics.de/musitronics.org/index.html

I have purchased two of these drives over the years for two different racks and they have worked great.
Etherium

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you cant burn onto a cd drive..?, according to the manual it says you can't...?, just read....
scsiforsamplers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz, thanks for the referrals! You would probably want to look at a getting a hard drive or a card reader drive. Either of these will allow you to save and load your data reliably. The hard drive will be fastest and is what we recommend for folks who need a large sample library available for quick loading. If you tend to work with the internal sounds mostly and do a lot of sequencing, a card reader drive is an excellent choice.

CDROM drives are also good if you load a lot of samples but as pointed out, those are read-only devices.

Please contact me if I can help with any information.
xpander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For ages now, I've used ZIP100 drives for storing my samples. I have a separate ZIP-drive for each sampler, although occasionally I've done some hot swapping also.

Unfortunately I've also experienced the famous click of death couple of times, and since the probability of that just increases with these older drives, I am seriously considering to move into card reader drives.

Right now I'm trying to figure out the best possible reader combo, it would really help if I could use the same drive for couple of different samplers since I have three of them (2 Rolands and Triton)...possibly one or two more coming.
scsiforsamplers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have several different card reader drives that will suit your application. You don't mention which Roland samplers you have - our drives are compatible with some of the Roland models. You can check the Compatibility Chart on our website to determine which drives we have are best for you or give me a call and I'll be glad to answer any questions.
xpander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply JD. I have visited your site many times already, and was just kinda pondering aloud...especially about the dangers of old ZIP drives for those who might not know. Not to say that ZIPs wouldn't be a nice storage media as such, they've helped me to downsize literally hundreds of floppies to couple of disks...and are way faster to load from and save to. It's just that when the drive all of a sudden starts to click, better pray you didn't lose any info on the disk, only the drive gone bad. So far so good, and I keep backups just in case.

As for the samplers, Roland W30, DJ70MkII, S760 and Triton have seen some action here. Not that I would classify Triton only as a sampler, but anyways. I've passed couple of nice E-Mus also, don't know if one might stay later on. Strangely enough, never got into Akai, except for their old sequencer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Rack All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: