Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making Afghani style on Korg Pa800
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sehasafade12
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Making Afghani style on Korg Pa800 Reply with quote

Salam to all sweet and kind Afghan musicians:

For Korg Pa800:

I have a request and that is: Is it possible if one of you kind musicians go out of your way and wirte us a direction just to make only one complete Afghani Style. Including how to make the drum beats, Tabla beats and so on... JUST ONLY ONE AFGHANI STYLE form the begining till the end. If it is possible. Very Happy I feel like a child that some one has to hold my hand and help me. I have tried and made few styles but they sounded bad and I am too old for this. Please help me and other musicians who are facing the same dilemma. All I need is someone just to show the way. Yak Jahan Tashakur wa Mamnoon-e- Tan.

Khoda Negahdar,

Best Regards,

Fahim, Embarassed
sehasafade12
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: How to make Afghani Styles on Korg Pa800 Reply with quote

Salam:

This is Fahim again....

Just waned to let you all know that I did order the three Korg Pa 1X Pro and Pa 800 DVD's that Rob Sherratt and Worth put together and will be ready end of Sep,2007. Having the 3 DVD's will help me to make my own styles but that is not till end of next month. Making Afghani styles are a little different and therefore just needed some feed back and help on how to make just only one simple Afghani style. Thanks again.

Best of luck to you all.

Fahim, Very Happy
Q.E

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: How to make Afghani Styles on Korg Pa800 Reply with quote

alright buddy here we go....!!

there are few different ways to make beats, specially afghani/persian/indian beats!!

this was year 1985, that i came up with few afghani beats..

1st you have to think about the number of beats (maatra) for each afghani beat.. a little guide from my side :

originally :

dadra = 12 beats(3/4) in indian theory
6/8 in persian theory

moghly and aastaboro and attan = 7beats(7/8 )

geda and kerwa=16beats(4/4)

Q.E's theory :
dadra= i use 4/4 templet ( 16beats ) i came up with this, my own creations.

mogholy and aastaboro and attan=i use 12beats(3/4) templets

geda and kerwa=16beats(4/4)

after a long study on afghan music, i noticed the above time signatures sounds much better than the originals, so i came up wity my own time signatures, coz it sounds more natural and correct...

here we go , how to make an afghani style :

1. press record
2. record new style and OK
3.since drum track is RED that means it records the drum track
4.press drum/perc track to chose your favorite drum kit
5. if you wanna use my theory, then change or select your time signature, where it says METER: 4/4 or 3/4 or any.

6. to make it more simple use all default settings such as length,element and etc...V1 (variation 1) is your default, later you can change it to FILL1 or INTRO1 and etc.. to record your intros and fills or your other VARIATIONS..
7. chose quantize 16 for geda and dadra..chose quantize 12 for moghly family(quantize=resolution) .

8. have your metronome ON.
9. start playing/ recording you DRUMS 1st (press the RED start/stop ) ....when you are done with drums, select PERC track(it turns RED) find a tabla or dholak set from your DRUMS/PERC sounds.
10. record your PERC track as well and continue recording each accomp as well as your bass track..

11.done with VARIATION1 ? OK same way now you can record your fills, intros and other variation by using +- or scroll knob...to select them once you highlighted the VAR1...

12. write the style to an empty USER style (put your finger on the higher edge of display)

13. DONE
sehasafade12
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: How to make Afghani style Reply with quote

Dear Qader jan:

Thanks for your info and direction. I have tried but I guess I am beyond help. For me to remember how it is done, someone actually has to be infront of me and do the process. Embarassed I have no choice than to wait for the DVD's to arrive. I will follow your guide and steps on how to use the correct beat counts to make Afghani and Indian beats. Just making the DRUM/PERC sounds, has been a big issue for me. I have seen videos of Arab musicians making their own Arabic beats and sounded very nice and exciting but when I started to make Afghani beats, I was lost and very disappointed. Anyway it is the age and lack of knowledge and I guess I am to old to start making my own styles. But TO QUIT that is not me and not accepted in my book and therefore I will try harder and harder to learn and one of these days I will make it.... Question Thanks again for your support and help as always. Best of luck.

Best Regards,

Fahim Nasraty, Very Happy
Q.E

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How to make Afghani style Reply with quote

alright buddy !

if my way of "recording a style" is difficult for you, then you can goto page 107 of the manual and it shows you step by step how to record your style...

good luck..
sehasafade12
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: How to make Afghani style Reply with quote

Q.E wrote:
alright buddy !

if my way of "recording a style" is difficult for you, then you can goto page 107 of the manual and it shows you step by step how to record your style...

good luck..

No Qader jan, Your way of "recording a style" is not difficult for me. It is 100 times better and simpler than the Korg manual. Sorry but it is me who is lacking in the brain department. Again as always you have been there for all us but it is just me who has limited ability to grasp on info given. Eventually I will learn this process. Only part that I just unable to do, is making the PERC/DRUM beats. I have all these wav Tabla files as you know and all are in my Pa800 now. I just wanted to make the drum beats that goes with these Tabla beats.
I wish I had more time to practice and to make my own drum beats but that is impossible due to the fact that I have to work full time to support my kids and family. Week ends and late nights are the only time for me and as you know, we Afghans always have company on the weekends or always something is going on. So only time I have is late evenings and I have to make best of them. But no worry, very soon, I should have my own complete style. Thanks again for you help and support.

Best Regards,

Fahim, Very Happy
Q.E

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: How to make Afghani style Reply with quote

salam brother..

oh, ok so i see what you mean....
men , i tell you this pa800 needs a major effect adjustments ....it has been over a month that i bought it, but i was not able to use it in my gigs, coz the effect system becomes very muddy after transferring pa80 styles....

even creating a new style needs a lots of effect corrections...i endup using my old pa80 for last 5 gigs, coz the effect system is much cleaner than pa800

but, not to forget some of the PRESETS are very good and doesn't need effect corrections...specially the ones with spanish guitar , or i should say latin beats are just amazing...

well, let me know if you had any further questions about pa800....i've learned a lot about it so far..but i guess will upgrade to v1.51 soon.

take care
sehasafade12
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: How to make Afghani styles. Reply with quote

Salam Qarder jan:

Thanks for the respond and have a wonderful day.

Best Regardds,

Fahim, Very Happy
afghanmusic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: p8.80 Reply with quote

heyy everyonee
does anyone know where l can get the pa 80 tutorial video
Q.E

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: p8.80 Reply with quote

afghanmusic wrote:
heyy everyonee

welcome to the forum !!
click on this link....i say PM Rob Sherratt, he should send you one copy of that DVD..

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26292
good luck...
shahid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

=>BIG TIP:

Indian Giddah,

How to Quantize Indian Gidda;

The one I am talking about includes Basic Bhangra as well as in the popular song "Chan Mere makhna", "Dhol Jageero Da", "Ghar Aaja Soniya" and other thousands of songs;

Composition and Perfect Quantize;

Compose with the meter 4/4 and quantize it with the one where written "3" in the quantize list. The "3" is two times in the list, use the second one and NOT the first one.
sehasafade12
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: p8.80 Reply with quote

afghanmusic wrote:
heyy everyonee

Salam:

I think you meant DVD for Pa800. Right?

Qader jan, is absolutely correct regading contacting Rob Sherratt for thePa800 DVD.
As far as I know, there is no DVD for Pa80.

Best Regards,

Fahim, Very Happy
Raul_z

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys,

hi shahid , you should better quantize your gedda beats with the third one from above(left side). that makes it perfect.
shahid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raul_z wrote:
hi guys,

hi shahid , you should better quantize your gedda beats with the third one from above(left side). that makes it perfect.

If your strokes are doubled and your quantize with first "3", it will go like Confused

So, for complex professional doubled strokes, the next "3" is perfect. give it a try.

Thanks
roadster_32

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How to make Afghani style Reply with quote

sehasafade12 wrote:
Q.E wrote:
alright buddy !

good luck..

No Qader jan, Your way of "recording a style" is not difficult for me. It is 100 times better and simpler than the Korg manual. Sorry but it is me who is lacking in the brain department. Again as always you have been there for all us but it is just me who has limited ability to grasp on info given. Eventually I will learn this process. Only part that I just unable to do, is making the PERC/DRUM beats. I have all these wav Tabla files as you know and all are in my Pa800 now. I just wanted to make the drum beats that goes with these Tabla beats.
I wish I had more time to practice and to make my own drum beats but that is impossible due to the fact that I have to work full time to support my kids and family. Week ends and late nights are the only time for me and as you know, we Afghans always have company on the weekends or always something is going on. So only time I have is late evenings and I have to make best of them. But no worry, very soon, I should have my own complete style. Thanks again for you help and support.

Best Regards,

Fahim, Very Happy

Hi Fahim Jan, I think we all afghans have the same problem, but one thing I can suggest to you is listen to some beats you like, eg mughuli from qader eshpari song or any1 you like then try to break it up in to different percusion sounds then write down which ones are used then just try to imitate it with the quantize, you can also use some wave editing tools to actually bring the tempo of the song down so that you can listen to it carefully then try to start like this:

For example listen to the kick sound, then play those then now try the hi hats then snare if used then claps, then any other percs used. but it is always easier for me to record kick first.

Then practice practice practice until you get it right.

Then add you base line, for a simple base line just use the root notes of the C maj chord and play them acording to the rhythm and then add any accomp you want like acc quitar, strings.

Repeat many times untill you like the sound of it! Iam still learning myself so I hope this helps you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: