Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making Afghani style on Korg Pa800
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sehasafade12
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: How to make Afghani style Reply with quote

[quote="roadster_32"]
sehasafade12 wrote:
Q.E wrote:
alright buddy !

if my way of "recording a style" is difficult for you, then you can goto page 107 of the manual and it shows you step by step how to record your style...

good luck..

No Qader jan, Your way of "recording a style" is not difficult for me. It is 100 times better and simpler than the Korg manual. Sorry but it is me who is lacking in the brain department. Again as always you have been there for all us but it is just me who has limited ability to grasp on info given. Eventually I will learn this process. Only part that I just unable to do, is making the PERC/DRUM beats. I have all these wav Tabla files as you know and all are in my Pa800 now. I just wanted to make the drum beats that goes with these Tabla beats.
I wish I had more time to practice and to make my own drum beats but that is impossible due to the fact that I have to work full time to support my kids and family. Week ends and late nights are the only time for me and as you know, we Afghans always have company on the weekends or always something is going on. So only time I have is late evenings and I have to make best of them. But no worry, very soon, I should have my own complete style. Thanks again for you help and support.

Best Regards,

Fahim, Very Happy

Hi Fahim Jan, I think we all afghans have the same problem, but one thing I can suggest to you is listen to some beats you like, eg mughuli from qader eshpari song or any1 you like then try to break it up in to different percusion sounds then write down which ones are used then just try to imitate it with the quantize, you can also use some wave editing tools to actually bring the tempo of the song down so that you can listen to it carefully then try to start like this:

For example listen to the kick sound, then play those then now try the hi hats then snare if used then claps, then any other percs used. but it is always easier for me to record kick first.

Then practice practice practice until you get it right.

Then add you base line, for a simple base line just use the root notes of the C maj chord and play them acording to the rhythm and then add any accomp you want like acc quitar, strings.

Repeat many times untill you like the sound of it! Iam still learning myself so I hope this helps you.[/quote

Salam my kind and sweet brother:

Eid Mubarak!

Thank you so much for the help and info. I will be using your direction and hope to have a good beat by this weekend. Again thank you so much for your help and support. You are a true gentleman.

Best Regards,

Fahim,

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
kareem

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes salam rodster bro, you emaild me last time that you have some technics kn6000 professional styles, can you please forward them to my email, i have a good set but too boring now.

much appreciated bro
roadster_32

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply but whats your email?
armaan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to make styles on any keyboard, you need to have some knowledge about rhythm. For example, there are many different variation in Kerwa i.e
Dha Tete tin tin Ta tete Dhn Dhn
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Or
Da ge na ti na ke din na
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Find these sounds in any drum kits that has tabla. Select that drum kit, remember where are the sounds and you can either recored live or step record.
try practicing on the second beat (da ge na ti na ke din na) this is easy to practice with because you can either use quarter note.. now that you have recorded the tabla you can experiment with drums and your bass line ect.
when recording your accompaniment make sure your chords are Major 7th or minor. Record using the (c) chord so that after the beat is complete the keyboard can transpose your accompaniment correctly.
sehasafade12
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armaan wrote:
In order to make styles on any keyboard, you need to have some knowledge about rhythm. For example, there are many different variation in Kerwa i.e
Dha Tete tin tin Ta tete Dhn Dhn
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Or
Da ge na ti na ke din na
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Find these sounds in any drum kits that has tabla. Select that drum kit, remember where are the sounds and you can either recored live or step record.
try practicing on the second beat (da ge na ti na ke din na) this is easy to practice with because you can either use quarter note.. now that you have recorded the tabla you can experiment with drums and your bass line ect.
when recording your accompaniment make sure your chords are Major 7th or minor. Record using the (c) chord so that after the beat is complete the keyboard can transpose your accompaniment correctly.

Salam Armaan jan:

Thanks for the info. That is exactly what I have been looking for. You see, as I have mentioned in the past that I do not read/write music but have been playing Accordion, Harmonium and Tabla since age of 5. I actually thought my self how to play these instrumnets by listening and just hearing. The same way I learned how to play the keyboard. I can play the keyboard just as good as anyone who knows the basic. I just needed a little more detailed info on how to make the accompaniment , to make sure the Chords are the correct ones. If possible and if you have time to give a step by step info on how to make just one simple style from the begining till the end. Just one example and I will be on my way. That is all I am asking. I do appreciate your help and support for going out of your way and helping me and othes here. But, PLEASEEEEE! I just need one example of making a complete style from the begining till the end. I hope this is not to much to ask. If you guys can not do it, then it is OK. I will learn it one of these days and god knows when will that be.Thanks again for your help and support.

Fahim, Very Happy
armaan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: how to make accompaniments for a new style Reply with quote

Ok so once u have created your drum, and percussion tracks you can then create accompaniment. In order to create accompaniments you should have some knowledge about chords. Chords can be three notes, four notes or five notes. chords can be played all at once (pressing three notes all at ones or arpeggio) Korg will allow you to write chords in minor scale, major scale and advanced jazz scales like diminished, sustained, or etc. Most Afghani songs are either in major scale or minor. This really doesn't matter, you can create your accompaniment in Major 7th from Note Sa or C) the C chord is the following notes: C, E, G (3 notes) or C, E, G, C (four notes) or C, E, G, B for Major 7th.

For example:

Mughuli is actually a 7 beat (pulse) or Matra with the following bols from Tabla:

tin (silence) Na Dn Dn na na (if you count all the notes including the silence there are 7 notes) this is the basic theka for Moghula Lam

So for this example play the C chord where you see the note (NA).
notice that Mughuli is an akward rhythm it starts from Khali (the first note being tin) Just like rupak (tn, tn, nana, dn dn, na na) anyway I hope you already understand Khali and Tali in any rhythm)

The other hint I can give you is to open an existing style you have. Go to Menu on your keyboard, go to Even edit and take a look at the style how it has been writtien. Mute all other channals or tracks and listen to each track and you will have a better idea on how to write a new rhythm).

**the key in writing accompaniment is that it has to be from the same key and same scale so when you are playing the keyboard the chip or brain of the keyboard can transpose notes as u change chords).
I hope this helpsSSS
sehasafade12
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: how to make accompaniments for a new style Reply with quote

armaan wrote:
Ok so once u have created your drum, and percussion tracks you can then create accompaniment. In order to create accompaniments you should have some knowledge about chords. Chords can be three notes, four notes or five notes. chords can be played all at once (pressing three notes all at ones or arpeggio) Korg will allow you to write chords in minor scale, major scale and advanced jazz scales like diminished, sustained, or etc. Most Afghani songs are either in major scale or minor. This really doesn't matter, you can create your accompaniment in Major 7th from Note Sa or C) the C chord is the following notes: C, E, G (3 notes) or C, E, G, C (four notes) or C, E, G, B for Major 7th.

For example:

Mughuli is actually a 7 beat (pulse) or Matra with the following bols from Tabla:

tin (silence) Na Dn Dn na na (if you count all the notes including the silence there are 7 notes) this is the basic theka for Moghula Lam

So for this example play the C chord where you see the note (NA).
notice that Mughuli is an akward rhythm it starts from Khali (the first note being tin) Just like rupak (tn, tn, nana, dn dn, na na) anyway I hope you already understand Khali and Tali in any rhythm)

The other hint I can give you is to open an existing style you have. Go to Menu on your keyboard, go to Even edit and take a look at the style how it has been writtien. Mute all other channals or tracks and listen to each track and you will have a better idea on how to write a new rhythm).

**the key in writing accompaniment is that it has to be from the same key and same scale so when you are playing the keyboard the chip or brain of the keyboard can transpose notes as u change chords).
I hope this helpsSSS

Dear my kind and sweet brother Armaan Jan:
Hope you and your family are in the best of health.

This is a tremendous help to me and do thank you from the bottom of my heart for your help and kindness. You took your time to explain everything in detail and now I know where to start and what will be my next step. That was all I needed. Again thank you so much. I hope not to bother you again but I think your direction and info covered most of the areas that I had difficulties. Khoda Hafiz and Negahdar.

Best Regards,

Fahim, Very Happy
armaan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear my kind and sweet brother Armaan Jan:
Hope you and your family are in the best of health.

This is a tremendous help to me and do thank you from the bottom of my heart for your help and kindness. You took your time to explain everything in detail and now I know where to start and what will be my next step. That was all I needed. Again thank you so much. I hope not to bother you again but I think your direction and info covered most of the areas that I had difficulties. Khoda Hafiz and Negahdar.

Best Regards,

Fahim, Very Happy

I hope this information will help u. let me know if you get stuck. I am new to this site. My keyboard keeps freezing on me. Anyway, I saw a lot of afghans here on this site and was able to read some discussion here and there but I didn't see anyone trying to learn. everyone is asking for beats. This sucks because you will see that so much goes behind creating a simple rhythm. However, you will learn alot from this process. It will actually help you understand so much in just music. I am glad that you are trying hard. When i started, I had the same problem. No one would teach or share. Try to understand chord structure, and experiment with patterns (arpeggios) remember the c chord and you should be fine. Creating the drum and percussion is the easy part (smile).
roadster_32

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear sehasafade12,

If you can read Dari then there is a music theory book in Dari, written by an Afghan named Sediq Qiam "I think", it should be available in afghan stores, this exlpains everything from taal to raag and even western notation.

As Arman has mentioned you need to learn the basics of tabla like how many matras does dadra have or keherwa etc.. and you also need to know the bols. Then read some basic western music theory on how to form root chords, harmonies and some other basics.

This will help you greatly in making styles specially in making nice chords and also quantizing values.

To make a nice keherwa I suggest you take any 8 beat style you like from the factory presets and just edit the percussion track and add the tabla to it. The factory presets have some nice 8 beat styles where they can match most afghan songs in keherwa you just add the tabla.
sehasafade12
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roadster_32 wrote:
Dear sehasafade12,

If you can read Dari then there is a music theory book in Dari, written by an Afghan named Sediq Qiam "I think", it should be available in afghan stores, this exlpains everything from taal to raag and even western notation.

As Arman has mentioned you need to learn the basics of tabla like how many matras does dadra have or keherwa etc.. and you also need to know the bols. Then read some basic western music theory on how to form root chords, harmonies and some other basics.

This will help you greatly in making styles specially in making nice chords and also quantizing values.

To make a nice keherwa I suggest you take any 8 beat style you like from the factory presets and just edit the percussion track and add the tabla to it. The factory presets have some nice 8 beat styles where they can match most afghan songs in keherwa you just add the tabla.

Salam:
Thank you so much for your help. No I do read and write Dari(Farsi) but just do not read and write music. I am taking music classes to help me read/write music these days and will be there soon INSHALLAH but just need a little more time to be good at it. Thanks again for your always support and help. You all are amazing people and I am proud and honored to be a part this wonderful group.

Best Regards,

Fahim, Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: