Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To module (2nd) connector

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rfoshaug

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: To module (2nd) connector Reply with quote

On Korg's website, the user manual for the 73 and 88 keybeds are now available:

http://korg.com/downloads/pdf/KeyAssembly73_88_OM_EFG1.pdf

On the 73 and 88 keybeds, you can connect two modules to the keybed at once, but how does it work? How do you select which module you play?

If I connect an M3-M and a Radias-R to the 73-keybed, how do I select which module I play? Is there a switch somewhere on the keybed Komponent?

Can't seem to find info on it in the manual...
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be a midi thing
rfoshaug

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested this last night. I connected the "To module (2nd)" connector to the Radias module, and guess what happened...

Every time I pressed a key on the keyboard, BOTH the M3 and the Radias made sound, as if the two synths had separate keyboards and I pressed the same key on both keyboards at the same time.

I tried both in program mode and sequencer mode, and even though the M3 was on MIDI channel 1 and the Radias program was on channel 16 (which I have set to the global channel of the Radias), both synths still played the notes I pressed.

It seems the only way to play just one synth with this setup is to turn down the volume of the other one. Which makes it completely useless.

Why why why didn't Korg just put a simple switch somewhere on the keyboard where you could choose which of the "to module" connectors to use? So either you'd play the M3 or you'd play the Radias. Instead both synths receive the same note and controller messages simultaneously.

I'll still be interested in the mounting kit for Radias R on the 73 keybed though, but I'll use MIDI to connect them, not "To module 2nd".

Or am I missing something here?
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

sincerely, just having two modules on the same keyboard with a switch (so you play EITHER one OR the other - XOR Laughing ) gives a really poor added value to KKS, at least i was thinking korg would have implemented possibility to split keyboard in zone and assing one zone to a module and one zone to the other (plus keeping modules in layer of course).
rfoshaug

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, XOR would have been better than the AND that is at work now. Being able to decide which module makes sound when you press keys would have been nicer than having both sound for every note you play.

Or at least the switch could have 3 positions - (Module 1, Both, Module 2).

Not a big crisis, though, as MIDI cables will let us set up splits, layers and zones as we wish. But as it is now, the "to module (2nd)" connector seems quite useless.

But I might be missing something? (This functionality is not mentioned in any manual that I can find).
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rfoshaug wrote:
Well, XOR would have been better than the AND that is at work now. Being able to decide which module makes sound when you press keys would have been nicer than having both sound for every note you play.

absolutely! i was taking this as basic (and mandatory) requirement Very Happy

rfoshaug wrote:

Or at least the switch could have 3 positions - (Module 1, Both, Module 2).

that would be nice
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rfoshaug wrote:
Every time I pressed a key on the keyboard, BOTH the M3 and the Radias made sound, as if the two synths had separate keyboards and I pressed the same key on both keyboards at the same time.

I tried both in program mode and sequencer mode, and even though the M3 was on MIDI channel 1 and the Radias program was on channel 16 (which I have set to the global channel of the Radias), both synths still played the notes I pressed.

It seems the only way to play just one synth with this setup is to turn down the volume of the other one. Which makes it completely useless.

I believe the two connectors act like normal midi connections, just as if you had a single midi controller keyboard connected to two midi sound modules. To control which one plays you would need to set up different the different modules to receive on different midi channels (your example doesn't sound correct).

A quick look at the Radias manual (pg. 146) mentions that a Radias Program uses 4 timbres, and allows you to set the MIDI channel independently for each timbre. Are you sure your Radias is set up to only receive on Midi channel 16? Are all four timbres in that Radias program set up to receive on Channel 16?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: