Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA800 (using for the 1st time on a big stage,hall) 700 ppl.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q.E

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: PA800 (using for the 1st time on a big stage,hall) 700 ppl. Reply with quote

guys/friends !

alright, bought my pa800 almost or close to 2 months ago, transfered all my pa80 styles and made a set of ALL-NEW beats from scratch for my NEW pa800, but couldn't use it in my last 6 gigs due to the effect settings and output problems as i mentioned in my previous posts...i had to break the ice and USE my NEW pa800!!

good news for people who had difficulties figuring it out !

as i was soooo much used to the idea of separating my drums and bass from other tracks, i had NO choice,but to make it work...so i had the choice to use only L&R outputs for ALL or use out1 and 2 by using a separate mini mixer for them to control the volumes of them...i bought a little small mixer by "midi man" but still didn't feel comfortable enough to use it on stage..

so, fianlly i decided to use L&R outs for all, but obviously KORG gives you an option to send your KICKS, HIHATS, SNARE, TOMS and few more to the 1 and 2 outs !! now that really WORKS...finally i am sooo happy and fully satisfied ,but there is a catch to it....lol

other issue was the reverb settings ! got that one to perfections as well..

i left 2 of the STS with factory settings and the other 2 was my settings just for the TEST/heck of it to hear the differences....

all other 3 musicians of mine were totally satisfied and impressed by the way i set my personal effect settings...

well, if you need some ideas send me a PM only, i'll be more than happy to share what i've accomplished so far !!

otherwise wish you all the best buddies !!

all my problem with PA800 is FINALLY solved.....THANK GOD..

** when i was playing my new pa800 beats for the 1st time on stage,the drums and BASS sounds like LIVE..
the BASS and DRUMS of pa800 is AMAZING...

now i can't use pa80 anymore too simple...lol

take care.

Smile
deposit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi qe . whats up . could you explain to me . why you guys use the midi man and all the mixing boards i do have the pa800 . whats the output for 1 and 2 left and right . i am not sure if i know my full potential . of my keyboard and the reverb . lol
fResH_
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: outputs 1 & 2 Reply with quote

Hi Q.E how you doing?

I've read your posts here before about the pa800's outputs, and followed your directions like you said;
Drum & Perc to output 1 and the Bass & Acc. to output 2. It works fine so.

Is this a good setup for live performance? I havent been trying this way yet on live situations but soon will..

Maybe you have find out any other way to setup or is this the one you recommend, maybe some hardware products to set up whit? (I dont know) Rolling Eyes

Would you kindly tell me/us how to set up it for live performance, from your experiences!

Take Care!

"Its not how good you are, its the impression you leave behind."
Q.E

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: outputs 1 & 2 Reply with quote

ok. deposit and fResH friends !!

well, this story is long...lol

i guess as a recording engineer and a PRO musician, my ears are getting to sharp towards musical instruments....
so, i always look for a perfect sound on stage....

as i mentioned in my previous posts, that pa800 needs effect/EQ adjustments, so long story short, finally figured it out...

"deposit" the reason i bought a little midi man mixer(size of your palm) was becoz i was gonna connect it to outs 1 and 2 then to my main mixer,but i switch my styles less than a 30 sec time frame , so still didn't wanna juggle with many buttons and volumes at the same time... too much...

fResH, here is a copy of the PMs which i've sent to members who requested for ideas....

good luck to fResH and deposit here :
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ready ?? ok

here are the major problems with PA800 :

ALL sounds of PA800 is almost perfectly SAMPLED(not EQed), but you MUST change certain things within pa800..

all your uppers, needs a touch of EQ(6.3khz & 16khz) adjustments as well as effect adjustments. we start of with the rythem section 1st:

1.select your style and go to MENU-->MIXER--> FX SEND-->TRACK SELECT(ITS A BUTTON by LCD left side lower, which show ALL tracks).

2. set your send volume somewhere between 23 to 36 (depends on the speed of your beat). for effect A & B fx.

3. goto MENU--->EFFECTS and chose any short reverb for FX A or default(71.smoothhall) ..which is OK at this point..
you don't have to use FX B unless you want it...maybe 26. stereo chorus to thicken your accomp , but keep the amount very low( the less effect you use , the less headache you have , for accomps).

4. don't do anything with BASS and DRUMS EQ. they are almost perfect, here is the CATCH. goto__> GLOBAL-->AUDIO SETUP-->DRUM
and select or check AS DRUM CATEGORY.

5. where it says DRUM KIT CATEGORY, use this settings :
kick=output2
snare=ouput1
toms=output1

6. use ALL 4 outputs of PA800, you gonna send EVERYTHING to L&R channels, but the kick, snare, toms and few others to 1&2 outs

since the quality of korg pa800 bass and drums is very good, all you need to do is, on your actual mixer(not pa800 mixer) put your high(12khz or 16khz) on 2pm. everything else very much default or 12 o'clock(flat) or maybe a touch of low end(depends on your sound system).

7. once you figured out what volumes to use for BASS and DRUMS, all you have to do is save it under CURRENT STYLE and you are good to go..

8. so, the main problem with PA800 is that, almost everything has too much reverb and the EQ for upper sound needs a touch of high frequency.

9.when you configure your STSs, make sure to goto EFFECTS and change the amount of reverb for effect C (which is a 71. smooth hall or similar in most styles).
for effect D. i use effect 7. stereo graphic 7EQ, with 16khz at 9.5 and 6.3khz around 4 or 5 (depends on the sound you use) some of the sounds are pretty much sharp...
after you finished with EFFECTS page, goto MIXER and make sure your FX send is NOT passed 12 o'clock, even though it SHOWS you the amount at effect page.

NOW you have separate control over the kick, which makes your music punchy and powerful , you can EQ your kick the way you like it to sound..

its also important which BASS and drum kits to use, so when a style is playing, highlight or select the DRUM track and keep changing your drum kits to your desire taste(while the style is playing)... you can do the same thing with BASS channels....

good luck...i hope i was a help...i did all that and now i love the way my pa800 sounds, infact i love the BASS and drum sounds of it, its sooo full and natural...i use JAZZ KIT RX3 and BRUSH KIT RX1 for most of my beats, coz its very close to natural drum sounds...i use FINGER BASS4 for most of my styles......good luck

take care..
macboy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great info ! thanks for the long explanation Smile
Q.E

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macboy wrote:
great info ! thanks for the long explanation Smile

you welcome sir !!

again, last night was my 3rd gig that i've used my new pa800 and it was just amazing, the idea of separating my KICK, SNARE and TOMS really worked, specially for DANCE songs, i had full control over the punch of the beat as well as my fill ins..since i used a separate outs for toms, everytime that used my FILL INS, it would sound so real that i didnt feel like using a LIVE drummer anymore...the BASS is very real and natural compare to bass of pa80...

some of the sounds that i didn't change the EQ and FX settings, i noticed a BIG different between the 2 settings and wasn't be able to use them...so no matter what, now i am100% sure that i MUST reconfigure all my favorite and PRESET to my above settings, b4 i try to use them again in the future...!(reverb MUST be reduced and a bit of high frequency MUST be added to each sound).
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb information, Q.E. You're a credit to the forum!
Q.E

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giner wrote:

thanks buddy i am glad that you see it that way as well...

i guess the whole process gets confusing when someone listens to pa800 by using IT'S OWN AP800 built in speakers....

the size of the pa800 speakers are too SMALL , you cannot hear everything in details, and when you connect your pa800 to a bigger system, then you will notice the amount of effect that was used for each sound..

i have seen and heard many musicians on stage using the default settings for instruments, specially the PA series keyboards, to most of them it sounds OK i guess, but i luv to have a very very clean sound on stage, where i can hear every little thing in details ....so that's Y mostly i am concerned about "how a kick drum, snare, hihat, guitar , bass should sound"

since i play all of them professionally ....

i guess i have to make a MUSICAL RESOURCES SET of my own, which will include ALL the PRESETS of pa800, then upload it here for some members to see and hear what exactly i am talking about...

i shall do it as soon as i get a chance, hopefully in a couple months... Smile
sehasafade12
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q.E wrote:
Giner wrote:

thanks buddy i am glad that you see it that way as well...

i guess the whole process gets confusing when someone listens to pa800 by using IT'S OWN AP800 built in speakers....

the size of the pa800 speakers are too SMALL , you cannot hear everything in details, and when you connect your pa800 to a bigger system, then you will notice the amount of effect that was used for each sound..

i have seen and heard many musicians on stage using the default settings for instruments, specially the PA series keyboards, to most of them it sounds OK i guess, but i luv to have a very very clean sound on stage, where i can hear every little thing in details ....so that's Y mostly i am concerned about "how a kick drum, snare, hihat, guitar , bass should sound"

since i play all of them professionally ....

i guess i have to make a MUSICAL RESOURCES SET of my own, which will include ALL the PRESETS of pa800, then upload it here for some members to see and hear what exactly i am talking about...

i shall do it as soon as i get a chance, hopefully in a couple months... Smile

Salam Qader Jan:

Wow! That is the greatest news for me so far in this forum. It will be an achievement for all Afghan musicians young and old to have your MUSICAL RESOURCES SET on their Pa800. You see Qader jan, as I have mentioned before, I am just tired of mapping the drum kits to the styles on my pa800. Due to luck of time, it looks that it will take me at least 2 months or maybe more to complete and fix the styles that I have on my Pa800. None of the drum kits match. I have been trying to match them one at a time. When ever I load a style from a SET and not the SET its self, Pa800 will map its own drum kits. This is really ridiculous and annoying. I have promised some friends to send them my complete SET but so far I have only been able to work on half of the sets. Time is what I wish I had enough of but i guess NOT. Anyway, to have your Musical Resources Set on my pa800, that will be the day..... Thanks and glad you are back. Best of luck.

Best Regards,

Fahim, Very Happy
Q.E

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello fahim jan ...

thanks for the compliments...

well, as i promised you, that i will try to send you some beats, that shall come soon, but as far as MUSICAL RESOURCES , basically its ALL the PRESETS of pa800 is modified by me, meaning i have to go to each style and to each sound that was used for those styles, fix the FX as well as the EQ and save them on the SSD of pa800 and upload them somewhere , where everyone can access them...

but i guess that will be a lots of work for me, so i might ask few members to come up with a list of PRESET styles or pick certain style up to 10 styles, which will include all upper setting(STSs) as well as whatever is part of those styles, i'll fix them and reload them back for ALL...

personally myself, i don't use any of the PRESET styles, i create all my 7/8 6/8, 4/4, 2.4. waltz, disco and etc...
but i combined few of the latin guitar PRESETS with middle eastern beats, it sounds wonderful ....so long story short,

i will come up with a topic soon which i will ask ALL members to pick 10 PRESET styles out of all pa800 styles(which will include all STSs), then i am gonna fix all the FX and EQ then i will upload them back for everyone....i shall surprise KORG with my setting...
sehasafade12
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Post subject Reply with quote

Salam Qader jan:

Thanks for the respond and glad you are back. I know to make the MUSICAL RESOURCES SET, it will be a long process. Just let me know, if there is anything that I could do. I love to help in any way possible within my limits and knowledge. I am old and still learning but I do not believe in the word "QUIT". Best of luck.

Shab Ba Khair,

Your brother,

Fahim, Very Happy
Arash

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys U'll are first class gentlemen. I am really glad to come accross this forum. I have already been blessed with tons of advices from this board and my especial thx goes to my friend Fahim who generously provided me with lots of Iranian/Afghani styles. Q.E. Jan, if you ever come up with that Mus. Res. Set, please include me too. I am too scared to try this right now myself. At any rate, I'll try it after I come back from a week conference in Chicago.
sehasafade12
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Dear Arash:

I it a pleasure knowing you. Thanks for the kind words. I know, I am not a pro nor a Korg expert but will always do my best within my limits and knowledge to help my musician friends on this forum. We are blessed to be here on earth despite what is going on, in this world, therefore it will never hurt anyone to help each other even if sometimes it is out of our way. Thanks again.

Best Regards,

Fahim, Very Happy Very Happy
Telmo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Effect settings for Pa-800. Reply with quote

Hi dear Q.E, I've read your post about your personal effect settings for the Pa-800. Mine is coming in 2 weeks and I'm very interested to have your settings into my Pa-800 styles. I live in Brazil and I play in a church here in my hometown. We have about 300 members. I just use a Peavy 100 watts power amp. That's more than enough. I'd appreciate if you kindly could send me all your styles with your effect settings that you made yourself. My e-mail is:telmo-gama@ig.com.br
My Msn is:telmogama@hotmail.com
Thanks in advance, buddy, and may God continue inspiring you with your great help and contribution at Korg-Foruns. Best regards, Telmo.
Q.E

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Effect settings for Pa-800. Reply with quote

Telmo wrote:
Hi dear Q.E, I've read your post about your personal effect settings for the Pa-800. Mine is coming in 2 weeks and I'm very interested to have your settings into my Pa-800 styles. I live in Brazil and I play in a church here in my hometown. We have about 300 members. I just use a Peavy 100 watts power amp. That's more than enough. I'd appreciate if you kindly could send me all your styles with your effect settings that you made yourself. My e-mail is:telmo-gama@ig.com.br
My Msn is:telmogama@hotmail.com
Thanks in advance, buddy, and may God continue inspiring you with your great help and contribution at Korg-Foruns. Best regards, Telmo.

ok, buddy..
here is what we can do at this point of time :

select up to 5 PRESET of pa800, tell me which one they are, i will fix them and will send them back to you via email or something....

as i mentioned b4 fixing all presets of pa800 will take me loooooong time (too many styles ), since i am working on my new album and recording a guitar CD for someone else, i will make some time for you and will reconfigure your styles...even if you made your own styles, all you have to do is just send them to me, i will fix them and will send them back to you...

otherwise i shall come up with a MUSICAL RESOURCES set b4 december..

take care..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: