Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power for Triton Rack

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VolkerB

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Power for Triton Rack Reply with quote

Hi

Does anyone know if I can use a Triton Rack purchased in the USA (110 volts) in Australia (240 volts) just straight, as is, or do I need a step-down transformer?

I have read in these forums that the Triton keyboards all have a universal power supply that senses the incoming voltage and switches accordingly.

Is it the same on the Triton Rack?

Any advice appreciated,

Thanks,
Volker
milkojnr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi you need a step down transformer, or buy a Australian Power supply from a korg music shop.

it is a external power supply.
VolkerB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks for answering.

Yes, I am getting a step down transformer.

I also own a Korg Karma (bought here in Australia). Apparently it uses the same power supply that the Triton Rack was supplied with when it was sold here in Australia (model KA165).
But I am about anxious about using the Australian Power Supply (rated 9.0 volts at 3 amps) with the USA Triton Rack (whose power supply is rated 9.0 volts at 4.2 amps - model KA173).

Does anyone have any advice on this?

If I was able to use the Australian Power Supply it would make life easier.

Thanks
Volker
Sandager

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a rack from the UK - and I think he originally got it from the US.
It has the same korg 110V powersupply with an american type plug, and then an extra converter/powersupply bought in the UK.
That works fine, and I don't think it's a Korg brand...just a standard converter to 220/240V.

Additionally you can take your rack to an electrician and get him to make an "inside converter" so you don't need to carry 2 adaptors around.
For live use that would be optimal.

/Morten
VolkerB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sandager

Yes, I ended up buying a step-down transformer box just to be on the safe side.
So, for the record, the box I bought "steps down" the voltage from the house (240 volts) to the voltage required by the USA Korg Power Supply (110 volts).
I plug the Triton Rack into the USA Korg Power Supply and then that power supply into the transformer and then that into the wall socket.'Shocked'
The transformer I got is rated at 100 watts and that seems to work well.

Volker
Sandager

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK -

Yes it's a big chain of electricity, but if it works...it works Smile
Good thing you got it sorted out.

Morten
milkojnr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The model KA165 is the one that works for the Triton Rack as well as the Karma.

You could go into your local korg shop and buy another model KA165 and use that on your rack or karma and get rid of the step down convertor.

But make sure you tell the shop it is for your Karma not your US rack.
VolkerB

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi milkojnr
Thanks for the reply
The only thing that worries me about that is that the Australian KA165 supplies 3 amps whereas the USA supply KA173 supplies 4.2 amps and I'm worried that the USA rack will then not have enough power or be stressed in some way.
What do you think?
Cheers
Volker
milkojnr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volker,

It works fine that is the power supply that comes with the Korg Triton Rack in Australia.

I have one on my Rack which I purchased in USA.

I my old life i used sell korg and had to order replacement power supplies and that is the one for the rack and the keyboards.

We used grab power supplies off the original tritons and karma's, and racks all the time. It is the same power supply.
jacofan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will never understand the reason why the Triton Rack has an external power supply.
Take for example the Lexicon MPX-1 DSP: it has an INTERNAL power supply and you can use it EVERYWHERE, because it will accept ANY voltage between 100 and 240 VAC, 50 or 60 Hz.
This is, in my opinion, the only (technical) stain into this wonderful sound machine.
Jacofan - Italy
milkojnr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the Tritons Classic, Rack, and LE models have the same external power supplies.

If was a cost cutting way could keep the build price down.
drew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacofan - I totally agree. I could undertstand it with the 1U TR Rack, but it seems unlikely it couldn't have been built into the Triton Rack with a voltage switch. Other reasonably priced units managed to have it!

On the power adaptor front - I move my Korg gear between UK & South America so I bought a set of original Korg adaptors for each unit from the local importer/distributor to be sure of having the correct voltage in & out... it wasn't too expensive and I'd much rather do that than using a bunch of transformers or trying generic adaptors.

In fact I was very pleased & impressed to find that the distributor had all the models required in stock and weren't charging over the odds.
xpander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Milkojnr already stated the obvious reason; for the unit to be reasonably priced, it's way easier to have an external PSU. External PSU can and will also perform better than any internal switching supplies would, if done right.

It's not that the internal PSU was not possible to apply, but that certainly would've also changed the whole layout and hence the price.

I wouldn't choose this synth with worse performance or noticeable higher price just for the convenience of a switching supply, even if given the chance...some would?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Rack All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: