Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EMX: NOT AS ADVERTISED!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul_courville

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: EMX: NOT AS ADVERTISED! Reply with quote

No, it's way f*ck*ng better.
I just got mine friday afternoon from the Guitar Center in San Diego
So I've had it about 72 hours.
I cannot tear myself away from this thing.
Before the purchase, I countless spent hours reading every post, watching every video, asking every question (Daz and Ruso will verify this).
I was concerned, the EMX would just flat out suck.
It looked too good to be true.
Man was I wrong.
It has far exceeded my expectations.
Realize, I'm 47 next month.
After 5 long years at DeVry Tech (78'-83')I worked repairing and modifying synthesizers.
Back then, there was the Arp 2600, Minimoog, Oberheim's, Jupiter 8's and like. Korg's main products were the Monopoly and PolySix. I wasn't too crazy about Korg products back then.
Man have things changed...
This EMX is incrediable.
It literally is a complete music production studio all rolled into one.
Oh yeah and it's HARDWARE!
Lots and lots of knobs and buttons!!!
Drum machine, synthesizer, sequencer and effects, what more would you want.
Ok sure a sampler would be nice.
I may get the ESX or just us the EMX with Ableton Live.
I'm sure I'll find a few little disappointments along the way.
And I'm sure I may get a little burned out on the 192 patterns, but I am reasonably creative and look forward to writing my own original material.
Many thanks to all who participate in this great resource for all things KORG.

TrrP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, no, you're right. The EMX is certainly not as avertised !!! Sad

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24826

By the way Cyberdude... my advice is to ditch the patterns and start from scratch (then again non of them were my taste). This baby is made for programming the percussion. Tight, aight! (I usally scale down to give it some closer rythms) And that arp is way cool for melody making. Press 'Rec' and go wild. And after that finish it of with a little motion sequence. Nice. Have fun! Cool
synthahol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Paul! Greeting all! By way of introduction: I’m in Victoria, BC, Canada. I've owned an EMX for about a month. it’ so easy to radically alter the factory parts. I think the EMX is a truly outstanding achievement, especially for such a small piece of hardware. I'd never part with it simply because it has virtually unlimited possibilities for making sounds. (In one tune, I managed to have it say some words…a happy newbie accident there) Smile

I’ve been a musician for many years. But being unfamiliar with sequencing has been quite a challenge. Undaunted, I composed six pieces already. I found this great forum and read through most of the Electribe posts and ordered a SM-Xd card adapter right away.

Until a month ago I’d never even heard of the ESX or EMX. One fateful day in a local store, I found a used ESX. It looked “interesting” and I tried it out. I wanted to buy it right away. There was no manual, so I went home to look online for a manual. In my absence, someone bought it!

After some online study, looking at many Youtube vids etc and reading whatever I could find, I got an EMX.

I paid $480 for the EMX new. I’m more than happy with it. (ridiculously happy) Someone here referred to it as the Beast. It certainly is. The baby steps continue. Best to all…..Synthahol
musikmachine

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a padkontrol yesterday so i can play percussion into the emx and what a difference!I was recordingpaterns in a totally different way,a better way!The pk can pads can be setup to play synth notes in different scales as well

It's a great extension for the emx and gives it a lot more creative potential Cool

Enjoy the EMX!
synthahol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Thanks* musicmachine!

I just went and watched some padkontrol demo videos, and can immediately see the fantastic creative potential with the EMX + padkontrol and the software.

THANKS very much for the heads up....synthahol
musikmachine

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synthahol wrote:
*Thanks* musicmachine!

I just went and watched some padkontrol demo videos, and can immediately see the fantastic creative potential with the EMX + padkontrol and the software.

THANKS very much for the heads up....synthahol

No problem!It really has given the emx a new lease of life Very Happy

I strongly recommend anyone that owns one to try them out with a pk if you can.I'm getting much more out of the synth than i was,in fact i'm surprised at just how good it can sound Cool

Think of the basslines Shocked

Peace Smile
synthahol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"musikmachine"][quote

No problem!It really has given the emx a new lease of life Very Happy

I strongly recommend anyone that owns one to try them out with a pk if you can.I'm getting much more out of the synth than i was,in fact i'm surprised at just how good it can sound

Think of the basslines
Peace Smile

Thanks Musikmachine: The EMX has me a bit rattled. (another newbie story here). I decided to produce an entire CD using the EMX alone. I've pretty much finished writing all the pieces. Over the 5 weeks that I've been working on the EMX, I've occasionally lost cool patterns. As Paul mentioned, losing stuff in a sequencer is really not hard to do. And as he also mentioned, after remaking the lost patterns, they were much better than the originals.

However, none of my patterns or songs have been backed up to my computer. I did not yet receive the SM-Xd card adapter I ordered from ebay. The moment I get this CD recorded, or at least backed up, I'll breath a sigh of relief and go get a padcontrol. I can't wait to get one! So now, I have five weeks of work on my EMX, and every time I switch it on, I first pray to all the deities that it's all still there....ha ha....

I'm hoping to start recording today after getting some hardware issues sorted out. Best to all.......Synthahol
reflective

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why you don't use midiox to make a sysex dump of your patterns for back up purposes? You really don't need a memory card for the EMX.
Only if you own a ESX a memory card will make sense since sysex doesn't contains .wav or any other soundfiles. Very Happy
synthahol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reflective wrote:
Why you don't use midiox to make a sysex dump of your patterns for back up purposes? You really don't need a memory card for the EMX.
Only if you own a ESX a memory card will make sense since sysex doesn't contains .wav or any other soundfiles. Very Happy

Thanks for this info: I'll try doing that very soon. My EMX CD recording is almost done. I used Traction 3, and am happy with the way it sounds. Relieved Smile synthahol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: